The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

1-15

Prep: Pre Shave Soap Mix
Razor: Fat Hande Tech
Blade: Pol-Silver
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Synthetic
Soap: A&E Cold Day In Hell 2

Recieved a few samples from the Sample Library yesterday. Figured i would go with Cold Day In Hell 2 as it had the best scent IMO. If i had to guess Dangerous Don was the contributator, anyways i really appreciate it brother this is a fabulous scent!

This scent is described as a Dark Fougere, to my nose it smells a bit like Brut with a small amount of Clubman. The wife says its too powdery, which i dont entirely agree with. The 1st soap that came to mind is Nuavia Rosa, not that they smell alike, but both are somewhat strong refined complex scents. This is a very nice scent that has some floral notes (without being a floral) and a shaprness similar to Brut, Aramis, or English Leather. Keep cracking the sample to catch a whiff, this stuff smells amazing IMO.

This was my first time using a A&E soap, have seen all the positive reviews so had somewhat high expectations. A small top layer was all that was needed to make a thick lather. The lather was quite thirsty (as most soaps tend to be) and even added extra water after taking the lather shot. Slickness is excellent as well as residual. Soap base reminds me a bit of Country Club For Men's newest formula with Yougurt. Was planning on rubbing in remaining soap to see how long the scent would stick, but got a few weepers on neck that needed to be sealed up. Overall it was a refreshing shave that went well. Hope everyone had a swell shave!

They're harmless.......kinda like swatting mosquitoes
1f602.png

Their all bark and no bite eh? Lol

RECENT SHAVES

Siliski Soaps top notch stuff. Scent strength on this one is quite potent Pine woodsy scent and along with Patchouli Blend are the strongest ones i have tried from Siliski.

Performance is great. Plenty of slickness. had a mountain of lather from just a small amount of product with some to spare. Noce clean shave finished off with Latha Taiga. Left the den smelling like i got in a fight with a Pine tree....awesomeness!

Prep: Pre Shave soap Mix
Razor: Far Handle Tech
Blade: Pol- Silver
Brush: Maggard Blue & White Synthetic
Soap: Gustafsons Blue Bayou (Square One Soapworks)

Smooth refreshing shave the other day. The 1st time i used Gustafsons soap i couldnt get a stable lather at all, they eventually reformulated the soap and this stuff is surprisingly excellent. Soap is made by Square One Soapworks which is a artisan that hardly never gets mentioned on the fourms, but is a great product IMO.

Scent of Blue Bayou is a mix of Cedarwood and Lavender, clean fresh natural scent.

Performance as mentioned is very good. The lather is similar to I Coloniali or Shannon's Soap and is a creamy consistancy rather than bubbly. Loaded with skin food ingredients and is a vegan soap base. Skin feels moisturized and residual slickness was good enough to do some reckless touch ups without consequence. Finshed off with Dr. Jon's post shave oil which has a strong Lemongrass Geranium scent and absorbs fairly quick.

Prep: Musgo Real Oakmoss
Razor: Fat Handle Tech
Brush: Maggard 24m Synehtic
Soap: Tiki- Kilted Tiki

Finally managed to track down some Kilted Tiki. Regreted not picking some up when Maggards used to carry Tiki Soaps. The label says 250g and is the same tubs used for the Steambath Factory soap line from Tiki, however this tub has around 10oz of soap making it the biggest soap i have ever seen. Soap has a green color which is kind of cool.

Scent of Kilted Tiki is Scotch Whiskey and Oakmoss. To my nose it has a clean alcohol kind of smell, weird but it is a very nice scent.

Performance is quite good. This formula uses Pumpkin seed Oil, and like all Tiki formulas is good stuff although i prefer their Vegan formula a bit more. Tiki is one of the fastest lathering soap i have ever tried, a few swirls and BAM! Added a bit more water to the lather after the pic, usually do this to prevent making a huge mess. Just to give yall an idea of the kind of lather to expect from a particular soap. Managed a decent shave and finished off with Pinaud Brandy Spice which almost has a Aventus type vibe IMO a great addition to the Pinaud line.

Prep: Musgo Real Oakmoss
Razor: Fat Handle Tech
Brush: Maggard Blue & White Synthetic
Soap: Local Gent- Anubis

Supurb shave this morning with Local Gent. They unfornuatly went out of business, but make excellent products and is one of my all time favrorite balms.

Scent of Anubis is like a mix of Honey and White Musk with perhaps some Patchouli grounding everything. Has a sweet scent that is somewhat unique making it hard to compaire it to other scents.

Performance is excellent. This formula has Goats Milk making it different from other LG soaps. Loads easily and scent fills the den once lathered. Ended up flooding the lather before the shave and it still did not break down, so a good structured lather. All the good stuff one would look for in a top tier shave soap. This was one of the best shaves i have had in a while, very smooth with no visable itritation. Finished off with matching balm which is just amazing. Comes in a blue glass bottle with a sturdy pump, thick consistancy, lasting scent, quality ingredients, and leaves skin feeling hydrated and moisturized. Sad that Local Gent is no longer in production, but plenty of ones out there if someone is curious.

Sorry for such a long post, have been a bit behind and trying to keep up. Hope y'all had a swell shave!

Nice shaves Brad! That Kilted Tiki scent sounds real good!

Thanks Steve! The Kilted Tiki is somewhat similar to Into The Forest, except Kilted Tiki has more of a aquatic alcohol note where Into The Forest has more woodsy notes. Would guess the Oakmoss used is the same in both soaps. Not quite as "peaty" as Strong & Scottish which is a extremely potent scent and very polorizing either good or bad lol.

I have always had an appreciation for the Tiki brand of soaps. The Captain was a very popular one and one I used to enjoy. It was never the very best of soaps for me...but good enough. But the scents were where it was at with Tiki. My goodness the scents were phenomenal! I haven't used Tiki since Ron at Groomatorium took over the line. But I expect that everything is much the same as when Amanda (I think it was Amanda) was making the soap.

Good shaves all around Mr. Wizard of the Shaves!

I have always had an appreciation for the Tiki brand of soaps. The Captain was a very popular one and one I used to enjoy. It was never the very best of soaps for me...but good enough. But the scents were where it was at with Tiki. My goodness the scents were phenomenal! I haven't used Tiki since Ron at Groomatorium took over the line. But I expect that everything is much the same as when Amanda (I think it was Amanda) was making the soap.

Good shaves all around Mr. Wizard of the Shaves!

Thanks Don! Yeah Amanda did create some fabulous scents, of all the Tiki soaps i have tried there was only 1 i didnt care for (Surf's Up) since the scent is almost non existant on the puck i picked up. She also had several formulas over the years so theres something for everybody.

SHAVE OF THE DAY

Prep: Pre Shave Soap Mix
razor: Fat Handle Tech
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Synthetic
Soap: Wet The Face- Zu Zu's Petals

Had a smooth refreshing shave this morning. Big fan of WTF and Donald has hit another home run with Zu-Zu's Petals IMO.

Scent of this soap is a potent Rose that is on the green side, beautiful floral scent with a pink color to match.

Performance was much better than last time using this soap. Didnt mean to sound negative reguarding this soap, it is a very good soap base, however i am still partical on the sunflower oil formula. Soap is a soft consistancy and as a result loads easily with no issues. Lather took a good amouny of water without sacrifice. Had no burning issues whatsoever which can sometimes be a issue with Rose scents. Managed to get a BBS shave and skin feels wonderful. Finished off with Rose Water and a small dab of CL Rose Santal which is one powerful scent and only requires a small amount. Hope everyone had a great shave!

Always interesting. Your SOTDs are like a who’s who of brands I don’t have.

Back