The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

CHRISTMAS SHAVE

Prep: Pre Shave Soap Mix (Mentholated)
Razor: Wilkinson Sticky
Blade: GSB
Brush: Maggard 24mm Synthetic
Soap: Wet The Face- Christmas Time

Was planning on using CB 322 for my Christmas soap, but was in the mood for a Pine scent this morning. Figured this soap wpuld fit the bill.

Wet The Face is ran by Donald Younger, he does Shaving reviews online, soaps mostly. Various artisans make his WTF line of soaps, so some have different ingredients than others.

Christmas Time is a Basalm/Fir/Pine type of scent. Medium strong scent strength that is not too overpowering as Pine can be sometimes. Very well done scent.

Performance wise, this formula is among my favorite soaps. The lather this stuff creates is dense and creamy but not bubbly at any stage. Protection is incredible and slickness may be the strongest feature IMO. Managed to chase the BBS a little bit without consequence. Very happy with the results of this shave. Finished off with Taigia A/S to keep me smelling like a Christmas Tree a little while longer. Hope everyone had a swell,safe holiday!

12-26

Prep: Pre Shave Soap Mix (mentholated)
Brush: Maggard Blue & White Synthetic
Soap: Stirling- Aqua DGO

Managed a decent shave this morning. The menthol from the pre shave paired well with the Aqua DGO and made the shave that much more enjoyable.

Scent of Aqua DGO is a fairly close clone. Aquatic and fresh cologne scent. Reminds me a bit of Soap Smooth War Blend.

Performance is quite decent, always wonder why i dont use Stirling more often. This particular soap is their older formula, but have no trouble getting a creamy lather. Protection was excellent, especially the post residual slickness. Once skin was rinsed it was still provided a slick enough for touch-ups, much more so than many artisans on the market. Finished things off with a splash of Peg Leg, there is only a small amount left in the bottle so it was super concentrated oil. Hope everyone had a great shave!

Peg Leg Nicholas? Lol that’s a great AS name! Is that what’s in the skull bottle?

Peg Leg Nicholas? Lol that’s a great AS name! Is that what’s in the skull bottle?

Yes sir! The name Peg Leg Nichols does go great with their Pirate theme. Skull bottle is really cool and stands out. Maggards gave it to me a while back when i was in the store, bottle had cracked by the restrictor so most of the juice leaked/evaporated out. Will have to be carefull not to overfill when decanting other aftershave into bottle when its empty ( 1-2 more uses max) to prevent leaking, although it seems to be ok as long as the bottle is not tipped over like in the photo lol. Am thinking Vanilla Clubman may work.

Yes sir! The name Peg Leg Nichols does go great with their Pirate theme. Skull bottle is really cool and stands out. Maggards gave it to me a while back when i was in the store, bottle had cracked by the restrictor so most of the juice leaked/evaporated out. Will have to be carefull not to overfill when decanting other aftershave into bottle when its empty ( 1-2 more uses max) to prevent leaking, although it seems to be ok as long as the bottle is not tipped over like in the photo lol. Am thinking Vanilla Clubman may work.

12-27

Prep: Pre Shave Soap Mix
Razor: Wilkinson Sword
Brush: Razorock BC Plissoft
Soap: WK Project Leather

Superb shave this afternoon. WK makes one of the best soap bases on the market IMO. Both their original tallow, and the DM perform magically. This scent seems to be a bit softer in consistancy than Man From Mayfair, so load with a lighter hand if loading from the tub.

Scent of Project Leather is not what i would expect from the name. The leather is light and sweet, reminds me a little bit of RR Al Sapone as both are a little similar sweet leather gloves rather than saddle or cowboy boots.

Managed to get a super smooth BBS with no nicks or redness. Even chased the baby a little bit without consequence. Was planning on using the Denim A/S but was letting the WK post shave ride out for a while, scent lasted a solid half hour or so. Shot 2 sprays of Zino and is still smells strong as heck. One of the strongest colognes i have ever tried, just beautiful.

Hope everyone is doing well and getting the best shaves possible!

12-28

Soap: SMG Passion

Managed to get a DFS this afternoon. Did experience a little burning redness from the Figgy Puddin, love this scent but it doesn't love me.

SMG Passion is a passionfruit type of scent. Reminds me a bit of WTF Taboo (even though its Cherry Blossom) as they both have a similar fruity accord. Scent strength is quite strong and smells quite unique. SMG is a soap that doesnt get much attention, so perhaps i can shed some light on this artisan.

Performance of this soap is decent. Lathers quickly and provided plenty of slickness. Holds water but does not like to be flooded, which is not necessary with this soap. No issues whatsoever with the shave itself aside from the A/S which i already knew was going to burn. This GSB blade has been in this Sticky razor since i got it and has stayed sharp and smooth, even getting a bit better with age if you could believe that. Hope everyone had a swell shave!

12-28

Soap: SMG Passion

Managed to get a DFS this afternoon. Did experience a little burning redness from the Figgy Puddin, love this scent but it doesn't love me.

SMG Passion is a passionfruit type of scent. Reminds me a bit of WTF Taboo (even though its Cherry Blossom) as they both have a similar fruity accord. Scent strength is quite strong and smells quite unique. SMG is a soap that doesnt get much attention, so perhaps i can shed some light on this artisan.

Performance of this soap is decent. Lathers quickly and provided plenty of slickness. Holds water but does not like to be flooded, which is not necessary with this soap. No issues whatsoever with the shave itself aside from the A/S which i already knew was going to burn. This GSB blade has been in this Sticky razor since i got it and has stayed sharp and smooth, even getting a bit better with age if you could believe that. Hope everyone had a swell shave!

Anything worth saying is worth saying twice!
1f602.png

Amen to that!

12-29

Brush: Maggard Synthetic
Soap: Southern Witchcrafts- Necromantic

What an amazing shave this afternoon. This blade was showing signs of age a little bit but still didnt pose a problem.

Southern Witchcrafts makes a top tier soap base, and have been very impressed by the samples i have tried thus far. Scents are fairly strong and complex, most of them are completely unique and different from others on the market.

Whipped up a nice thick lather with just a small scrape from the sample. was surprised how much lather was generated from just a small dab of soap, will keep this in mind for future uses of this soap. Protection is excellent with plenty of slickness & residual slickness for touch ups.

Scent of Necromantic is a earthy clean petrichor type of scent slightly reminicent to PAA La Tierra Mojada, but with a slightly different twist. This scent is interesting and changes a bit each time i sniff the jar. Scent strength is strong, this and Autumn Ash have been favorites so far. Really looking forward to see what SW comes up with in the future as this top notch stuff IMO and wouldnt mind having a full tub of this stuff in the den.

Hope everyone had a wonderful shave!

Funny coincidink, KJ was just talking about Necromantic today in his vid! (See I do pay attention to some things!)

With you and KJ using Southern Witchcraft I am now intrigued! Actually I have been intrigued ever since I heard of them. Call me a sucker for marketing of this nature. But you guys definitely don't help!

With you and KJ using Southern Witchcraft I am now intrigued! Actually I have been intrigued ever since I heard of them. Call me a sucker for marketing of this nature. But you guys definitely don't help!
If nothing else, Southern Witchcraft has some really cool soap names!

Southern Witchcrafts does have some cool marketing with names that go with the theme. This soap base really is good stuff that can compete with the best of em.

12-30

Brush: Maggard 28mm Synthetic
Soap: Wild West- 2017

Very nice refreshing shave early this morning. Really like that Wild West offers soap in 2oz tubs, practical and allows for more variety.

Scent of 2017 is: fir, pine, peppermint, apple, cranberry, vanilla, black current,bourbon, clove, cedar, and spices. To my nose it has a scent that is a bit reminicent of Dr. Jon's Cold Fall Morning. Perfect scent for Christmas time
2017 has a fruity spicy pine type of thing going on, one of my favorite scents from WW.

Performance is quite good. Whipped up a creamy lather with no problems, held a good amount of water this time without breaking down. Just kept working the lather untill it became the consistancy i prefer. The shave went well with no irritation or nicks. Finished off with Ogallala Lime & Peppercorn and can still detect the scent hours later. Hope everyone had a great shave!

All caught up on about a weeks worth of shaves. Great stuff! I need to look into that witchcraft one.

Back