The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

12-16-18

Prep: pre shave soap mix
Razor: Wilkinson Sticky
Blade: GSB
Brush: Maggard Blue & White Synthetic
Soap: Summer Break Soaps- Back To School

Nice smooth shave yesterday. First time with Summer Break Soaps and it did not dissapoint. Recieved this soap from a recent trade.

The scent of Back To School is a fresh Fall scent that reminds me a little bit of PAA La Tierra (not sure about spelling). but is a nice Fall scent a bit different from typical Fall scents.

Performance is quite good. Whipped up a thick lather with no problems. Started out a bit bubbly at first, but with a little work it became the right consistancy. Shave went well and was surprised that there was no burning whatsoever from the aftershave, especially since it is alcohol based. The Masters Spice has a light scent that would be perfect for a barbershop since it fades somewhat quickly.

12-17-18

Prep: Musgo Real Classic
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Sticky
Brush: Maggard Blue & White Synthetic
Soap: Storybook Soapworks- Shaken

Fantastic shave early this morning. Shaken has quickly become one of my favorite scents of all time. This is a work of art IMO. Not sure if it's the money note, but something makes this scent different from anything else on the market, it is a spicy mens cologne type of scent that is a somewhat similar to Stirling Gentlemen, the 2 scents would pair well together.

Performance is top notch. Lather held a good amount of water and had good volume and thickness. This is a very good formula IMO and a bit of a "sleeper" in the artisan world. I think if he came out with a few more scents perhaps more people would consider giving Storybook a shot. Managed to get a swell shave with no drama. Hope everyone had a great shave!

Nice shaves SW! The Storybook Soapworks Shaken definitely sounds like a scent I’d be in to. I’ve seen this company pop up from time to time in different threads but I’ve never tried them myself. Might have to pick some up after the holidays.

Checked out the summer break soaps website. No samples is a bummer, would like to support the little guy and give them a shot.

Nice shaves SW! The Storybook Soapworks Shaken definitely sounds like a scent I’d be in to. I’ve seen this company pop up from time to time in different threads but I’ve never tried them myself. Might have to pick some up after the holidays.

This Shaken really is a special scent IMO Steve. Have come in contact with tons of soaps and have not smelled one quite like this. It is a spicy type of scent but very unique, one of the best Storybook scent offerings. Perfoemance is top notch as well.

Checked out the summer break soaps website. No samples is a bummer, would like to support the little guy and give them a shot.

Dave, Thats strange they didnt have samples up on the website. They used to offer samples and figured they still did. If they did get rid of the samples that is too bad, as many of us like to try samples before commiting to full tub.

12-18-18

Prep: splash of warm water
Razor: Gillette Flair Tip Superspeed
Blade: Gillette Rubie
Brush: RR Plissoft
Soap: Lisa's Natural- Tobacco & Bay

Had a decent shave this morning. Lisa's Natural makes great products and her "original" formula is no acception.

Scent of Tobacco & Bay is IMO almost identical to Jeeves Of Hudson St Velvet Jacket. Both have a sophisticated tobacco barbershop cologne kind of scent.

Performance is quite good. Whipped up a thick lather with no issues. Lather held a decent amount of water but is not overly thirsty and could break down if too much is added. Also provided plenty of protection from the blade. Hope everyone had a swell shave!

12-19

Prep: hot bath with Razorock Thermal Mud Soap
razor: Gillette Flair Tip Superspeed
Blade: Rubie
Brush: Razorock Plissoft
Soap: Southern Witchcrafts- Alchemist

Had a swell shave this evening. Was not sure at first how things would go since the water is fairly hard over here, luckily we will be moving in a week or so.

Southern Witchcrafts Alchemist has a unique scent that is very hard to describe. The name "Alchemist" is perfect because it does have a alchemical almost metallic note to it. Complex and while it is nice as a soap, its not a scent i think i would want to smell like all day (similar situation with B&M Cologne Russe).

Performance on this vegan base is excellent (not quite superb i.e. Grooming Dept, WK) Would put it up there with Noble Otter and Cooper & French as both have performed in this hard water better than most. Whipped up a thick lather that started off with a bit too much water, but eventually recovered to a prefered consistancy. Very protective and a soap base i would recommend, scents can be subjective but most of them are well blended, plus they offer both complex profiles and simple scents.hope everyone had a Keen shave and a groovy day!

12-20-18

Razor: Gillette Superspeed Flair Tip
Soap: Oleo Soapworks- Fiera

Managed a decent shave this morning. No burning sensation with this Oleo scent which has been a issue with other scents from this artisan, super stoked that there was no issues. This particular scent is a vetiver cologne that is light and not offensive.

Performance wise, this soap made a terrific lather. I believe this is the older vegan formula, though not positive since i recieved this sample from a trade. These are the same sample containers Passionatly Natural Soaps use, and contain a good 1oz+ of soap.

Did have a little blood loss in 3 areas, so not a perfect shave. Still a great way to start the day. Hope everyone had a great shave!

Mmm vetiver. I think, based on your post, I’ll be using CBL 50 Shades of Vetiver tomorrow! Thanks for the inspiration!

12-20-18

Razor: Gillette Superspeed Flair Tip
Soap: Oleo Soapworks- Fiera

Managed a decent shave this morning. No burning sensation with this Oleo scent which has been a issue with other scents from this artisan, super stoked that there was no issues. This particular scent is a vetiver cologne that is light and not offensive.

Performance wise, this soap made a terrific lather. I believe this is the older vegan formula, though not positive since i recieved this sample from a trade. These are the same sample containers Passionatly Natural Soaps use, and contain a good 1oz+ of soap.

Did have a little blood loss in 3 areas, so not a perfect shave. Still a great way to start the day. Hope everyone had a great shave!

12-21-18

Soap: Victory- Champaign Lady

Refreshing shave this afternoon. Went with Victory Shaving for todays soap choice. The owner is a great guy that makes quality products. The soap comes in a 4oz tin filled to the brim and the soap is fairly hard, perhaps just a tad softer than Soap Commander. This soap is unique since it is a Soy Wax based plus comtains Olive Oil. Despite the ingredients, this artisan has mastered the lather abilities usually associated with Olive Oil. thick stable lather that builds fairly quickly. Plenty of protection and slickness, post shave feel is moisturized without a "heavy" feeling, similar to that of many quality vegan soaps.

The scent of Champaign Lady is Lavender, Lemon, menthol. They blend together well to create a clean and fresh slightly citrus scent. the closest thing i would compaire it to would be WK Lav Sublime Concerto as both have similar scent profile. The menthol level on the Lady is about medium, enough to notice its there, but not powerful enough to effect the scent.

Hope you enjoyed your shaves ladies & gentlemen!

12-21-18

Soap: Victory- Champaign Lady

Refreshing shave this afternoon. Went with Victory Shaving for todays soap choice. The owner is a great guy that makes quality products. The soap comes in a 4oz tin filled to the brim and the soap is fairly hard, perhaps just a tad softer than Soap Commander. This soap is unique since it is a Soy Wax based plus comtains Olive Oil. Despite the ingredients, this artisan has mastered the lather abilities usually associated with Olive Oil. thick stable lather that builds fairly quickly. Plenty of protection and slickness, post shave feel is moisturized without a "heavy" feeling, similar to that of many quality vegan soaps.

The scent of Champaign Lady is Lavender, Lemon, menthol. They blend together well to create a clean and fresh slightly citrus scent. the closest thing i would compaire it to would be WK Lav Sublime Concerto as both have similar scent profile. The menthol level on the Lady is about medium, enough to notice its there, but not powerful enough to effect the scent.

Hope you enjoyed your shaves ladies & gentlemen!

12-22-18

Prep: Occams Crushed Lime Pre Shave Soap
Brush: Maggard 24mm Synthetic
Soap: Perfectly Natural- Hop 2 it (Grapefruit IPA)

Excellent shave this morning. Decided to go with a Lime theme which felt nice ans refreshing.

Perfectly Natural is another artisan that doesnt get much mention on the fourms, but is incredible stuff. Prices are very affordable (around $10 for 3oz), scents are natural and true to their description. Puck is on the hard side and is a great value IMO.

This particular soap is their older formula which lathers differently from their current offerings. The current formula lathers much quicker and is a bit easier to work with, however, i still like both formulas. The Hop 2 It makes a stringy sticky lather with no bubbles (similar to I Coloniali) what it lacks in volume it makes up for i density and creaminess. This soap makes a unusual lather and is perhaps why i am so intrigued.

Scent is a mix of Grapefruit and IPA beer. The beer gives it some depth while still being grapefruit forward.

Shave went well with no issues. Am always surprised by the shaves from Perfectly Natural Soaps. Performance has everything one would look for, plenty of slickness, and post shave feels moisturized (even after A/S).

Avon Island Lime is the aftershave to finish the shave. Nice lime scent and among the best of the Avon scents IMO, nice musky citrus that pairs great with menthol. Hope everyone had a swell shave!

Back