The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Reasons why I mix my coffee with whiskey, my list of bodies I have buried in the woods, and other thoughts while shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOTD: 04/27/2022

1651111317218.jpeg

Razor: Dovo 5/8” INOX Olive Wood
Brush: Stirling Soap Finest Badger Butterscotch
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary White Mug
Preshave: Ariana & Evans Slick Stick Soap
Soap: Ginger’s Garden Long Island Iced Tea Stick
Aftershave: Ginger’s Garden Long Island Iced Tea Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Sego Balm
Additional Care: Ginger’s Garden Long Island Iced Tea EdC

Today was an awesome day. First ”real man” shave with my son Jack - he loved his new stuff - so he wanted to take it for a spin - he’s a pro already. He was attentive - got the angles right.

So I didn’t get a shot of his shave - but it was a North Shore painted Gillette Fatboy, Chiseled Hound Badger Brush, Black Ship Grooming Tortuga Soap & AS, and he finished it off with YSL Y EdP. He smiled when he put the cologne on - and I asked him what was so funny. “So Dad - I have a girlfriend - she’s going to like the new cologne.” So it looks like I picked it out right. It was cool bonding and shaving together - talking about baseball.

Aidan’s little irrigated garden is already sprouting so he is pleased with that as well.

1651111597185.jpeg

SOTD: 04/27/2022

View attachment 81474

Razor: Dovo 5/8” INOX Olive Wood
Brush: Stirling Soap Finest Badger Butterscotch
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary White Mug
Preshave: Ariana & Evans Slick Stick Soap
Soap: Ginger’s Garden Long Island Iced Tea Stick
Aftershave: Ginger’s Garden Long Island Iced Tea Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Sego Balm
Additional Care: Ginger’s Garden Long Island Iced Tea EdC

Today was an awesome day. First ”real man” shave with my son Jack - he loved his new stuff - so he wanted to take it for a spin - he’s a pro already. He was attentive - got the angles right.

So I didn’t get a shot of his shave - but it was a North Shore painted Gillette Fatboy, Chiseled Hound Badger Brush, Black Ship Grooming Tortuga Soap & AS, and he finished it off with YSL Y EdP. He smiled when he put the cologne on - and I asked him what was so funny. “So Dad - I have a girlfriend - she’s going to like the new cologne.” So it looks like I picked it out right. It was cool bonding and shaving together - talking about baseball.

Aidan’s little irrigated garden is already sprouting so he is pleased with that as well.

View attachment 81476
Awesome in every way!! 😄

SOTD: 04/28/2022

1651161579317.gif

Razor: Stando Polska Prowe 2 With Svarga Handle
Blade: Bolzano Superinox Inossidabile, 3rd use
Brush: Colorado Razor Designs Light & Dark Wood
Bowl: Walmart Soup Mug
Soap: Pinnacle Grooming Barbershop Puck
Aftershave: Pinnacle Grooming Barbershop Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Vegan Balm
Additional Care: Oakcha Old Barrel PE

A shout out to Tom Ford’s Beau De Jour - one of my favorite barbershop scents. I was on the fence to buy the real frag after getting the shave soap & AS - so I found this neat little dupe/homage to it and with the coupon code - I think it was under $35. I like it so much that I probably going to delay my decision on the original until this bottle is out.

Still on cloud nine from yesterday’s shave - just cool watching Jack go through his experience - I didn’t put any opinions - just showed him how to bowl and face lather and how to hold the razor at the correct angle. He was so impressed at how close the shave was without having to press at all - letting the razor do the work - I think we have a budding hobbyist on our hands.

Not much else to report - have a great day everyone.

did you hear one of them comment in the back ground when your question about a soap/splash set being announced?

“Is it citrusy? Is it boozy?” 😂
I'm pretty sure that was me, piping up from the peanut gallery.
our STEAM project was to build an indoor plant irrigation system
That's cool. We had a larger version of that rigged up to water our plants while we were away in vegas.

Such an awesome experience to share with your son! I'm counting down the years until I can hopefully share something similar with mine. I'm hoping he inherited my facial hair and not the *lack thereof* from my wife's side...although with how blond he is, not holding my breath...

Such an awesome experience to share with your son! I'm counting down the years until I can hopefully share something similar with mine. I'm hoping he inherited my facial hair and not the *lack thereof* from my wife's side...although with how blond he is, not holding my breath...
It’s funny - as a father of 4 teenagers and above - I look at the old pictures and wonder where the time has gone because the growing up part was fun - but then there are moments like last night - and you learn to appreciate those as well.

I don’t know how they did it but Beau de Jour (IMO) has this magic effect of having a classic “old school” nod but with a twinge of modern. It is really unlike anything I’ve smelled - though a lot of frag heads say that Davidoff Zino is very similar to it as well. Good stuff!
Just ordered a 5 ml sample of Beau De Jour from The Perfumed Court. Eager to try it out..

I also hedged my bets and ordered a bottle of Zino Davidoff... For $18, I'll chance a blind buy. ;)

SOTD: 04/28/2022

View attachment 81521

Razor: Stando Polska Prowe 2 With Svarga Handle
Blade: Bolzano Superinox Inossidabile, 3rd use
Brush: Colorado Razor Designs Light & Dark Wood
Bowl: Walmart Soup Mug
Soap: Pinnacle Grooming Barbershop Puck
Aftershave: Pinnacle Grooming Barbershop Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Vegan Balm
Additional Care: Oakcha Old Barrel PE

A shout out to Tom Ford’s Beau De Jour - one of my favorite barbershop scents. I was on the fence to buy the real frag after getting the shave soap & AS - so I found this neat little dupe/homage to it and with the coupon code - I think it was under $35. I like it so much that I probably going to delay my decision on the original until this bottle is out.

Still on cloud nine from yesterday’s shave - just cool watching Jack go through his experience - I didn’t put any opinions - just showed him how to bowl and face lather and how to hold the razor at the correct angle. He was so impressed at how close the shave was without having to press at all - letting the razor do the work - I think we have a budding hobbyist on our hands.

Not much else to report - have a great day everyone.
I thought my phone was on fire.

My oldest was so profoundly blonde and light up to five years old I debated a paternity test. He grew to be more hirsute than I.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back