The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Reasons why I mix my coffee with whiskey, my list of bodies I have buried in the woods, and other thoughts while shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scuttlesoap

TSC Yoda
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
Well, I have finally took the red pill.......I converted from a traditional wet shaver and "hey, it'll save me lots of money while being a real man, to a hobbyist, to "hey, just one more soap this month, a maybe that aftershave - then I'll press pause", to joining the Shaving Cadre, and since I love this place and all you Cadre for what you made, I thought I'd start a journal.......you're welcome 🤣

1624655944062.png

I started traditional wet shaving back in 2016 - had no idea what I was doing and my first purchases were a Weishi long handle (because the gun metal color was cool and which I still have) a tub of TOOBS Sandalwood (still one of my favorite sandalwood scents), and a sleeve of Astra greens. I chose these because they both items had the highest rating on Amazon - which is the best way to pick shaving gear - still to this day (these crazy YouTubers don't know what the heck they are talking about - Amazon has it all figured it out. I picked Aqua Velva as the AS - because - that's what my dad used his entire life - and he did have it figured out.

I got into the hobby (late 2019) after going through the TOOBs getting frustrated on how quickly I was going through the TOOBS, and I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on - so I turned to Wikipedia...just kidding.... I searched YouTube.......which led to getting lessons from GeoFatboy, Mark Szorady, and Nick Shaves. That led to my YouTube stream being filled with Shaving Youtubers (you typical ones.....Kevy Shaves, Ken Surfs, IAMCDB......and the Cadre Boys. I became a soap base b*tch because I started watching Ruds and if the rating wasn't high enough - well it can't be good soap right? (nice guy, but I am glad those days are behind me - I missed out on so much in the early days).

1624657652098.png

I am serious when I say the Cadre had a significant impact....@cvargo videos helped me make up my mind between the Karve and the Rockwell (first shaving controversy - kinda like in Philly - Are you a Pats or Ginos cheesesteak person?). I chose the Karve (then bought the Rockwell as well - because I got a veterans discount and the Karve was taking too long to get here. My youngest started watching videos with me because she into goth /punk right now - and she saw me watching a video with @Spider........I joined the Cadre, but didn't really do anything other than searches on vendors for the most part (again, missed out early on)........then I came across @BarberDave - who really impressed me with his straights and mentioned the Zoom get togethers. My first post on the Cadre was joining a zoom call..... and I met you wonderful, crazy folks........so thanks..

Anyways, as far as my shaving goes......

Razors - I like Stainless Steel and Brass - I like it heavy - if you could put a blade on a dumb bell, I'd use it. I can't really pick a favorite - it's like choosing between my kids.....ok, who am I kidding - I could easily pick one of my kids - and my razor would be the Vector.
Soaps - now that I am past my base phase.......I love almost every vendor out there......I choose scents first (Citrus please! or a good old school scent), I'm a menth head, and I have to admit - I am a sucker for a good label!
Aftershaves - I run the gamut as well......scent first - I can always add some skin food or a balm. I dig aqua velva and the old school shaves and also love boozy scents.
Blades - in order: Gillette Nacet, Gillette 7 O'Clock (Yellow), Bolzanos, Wizamets, and Astra Greens.
Brushes - this is one area in which I am not really picky and haven't gotten into the expensive side - I have one badger, two boars, and the rest are synthetics.

I also like fragrances - Jazz Club is my best, and 1.5 is Bleu de Chanel. My two most recent pickups are Dior Eau Sauvage and Tom Ford Beau de Jour.

I have 4 kids - all teenagers (2 girls, 2 boys).

I am just getting into the audiophile side of music - picked up a pair of Apple Airpods Max and a pair of Drop Seinheiser 580x with a DAC.

I am from PA - so that will always be near in dear to my heart - especially Philly where I went to school - Go FLyers and Phillies! Boo Eagles (long story) - Go Steelers.
'
I am going to try to weave in theme weeks to my shaves - I calculated that I have about 71 years worth of soap and 35 years worth of razor blades.....which means I am desperately in need of more blades. Love the Cadre!

Last edited:
Ok, now that I'm started.....my first shave week will be........Vacation Destinations.......since this is basically the beginning of summer...

1624658637915.png

Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM
Brush: PAA Solar Flare
Lather: 345 Soaps Shark Bite
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Island Man
Fragrance: Tommy Bahama Set Sail St Barts Eau to Cologne
Additional Care (Not Shown): Zingari Man Rescue Potion, Barrister & Man Terrorade

What a great first journal shave - if the scents coming from the soap and the aftershave don't say "I'm on vacation!" I don't know what is. For those that don't know, 345 Soaps are a small, family shop out of Colorado (345 Soap). It is easy to lather. The scent just shouts fun....notes are Pineapple, Pear, Coconut and then rounded out with Mahogany. It says more Caribbean than Pacific. It is sweet, but not overbearing.....like a drink that has an umbrella in it.

The after shave plays the perfect partner in this duo - notes are a blend of bergamot, lime, mandarin, coconut, jasmine, hibiscus, ylang-ylang, ginger, sugarcane, musk, and rum - basically fruity citrus (check check check) and booze (goodbye Mister Spalding - out of the park).

I finished off with Tommy Bahama - again - though they don't usually last on my skin - the scents are that islandy boozy drink kind of deal.

Really enjoyed the shave - the Sabre is so easy to use!

Today was a great day to end the week - started a new position in my company......get to make my own hours (at least for now). I hope everyone has a fantastic evening!

b04eadfec8e8199cb91e6918208c0a74.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a couple of really fun posts and that shave...that is a solid shave. Wait, what am I talking about...that is way more than a solid shave! Island man is a great scent by Stirling. And I will have to take a look at the makers of Shark Bite. Enjoy the weekend!

What a couple of really fun posts and that shave...that is a solid shave. Wait, what am I talking about...that is way more than a solid shave! Island man is a great scent by Stirling. And I will have to take a look at the makers of Shark Bite. Enjoy the weekend!
Thank you my friend! love Island man! I have another 345 which is called Fresh Cut Fade which is a nice barbershop

Today's vacation themed shave takes us to the Mediterranean.

1624717524229.png

Razor: RazoRock Hawk v3
Blade: Feather Pro Guard Artist Club
Brush: Yaqi R1730 Sagrada Familia
Lather: Jabonman Mediterraneo
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Campania
Additional Care:
Barrister & Mann Terrorade
Zingari Man Unscented (Vegan) Balm
Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza EdC

This shave was basically a tribute to the Acqua di Parma style - one of my favs! The soap is a collaboration with Bull Goose Shaving (I don't know much about - I came across the site looking for a Turkish razor and saw the soap). The soap is made by the same gentlemen that creates Eufros (I don't have any other experience with the soap but I see Eufros a lot on Instagram). The scent is a blend of bergamot, pepper, lime, lavender, cedar, sandalwood, sage, vetiver and benzoin. It is not a dupe of the Acqua di Parma line - but definitely invokes the same category- that muted citrus with a touch of green. Where yesterday's soap with it's pear forward pineapple blend brought about that "I'm partying in the Caribbean," - this one is more of a chill feeling - on a less populated beach on a Mediterranean beach.

The Stirling aftershave is a dupe of Acqua di Parma Fico di Amalfi which I find to be a perfect summertime, warm weather scent - a blend of grapefruit, bergamot, citron, lemon (citrus check check check!!!!0, fig, jasmine, pink pepper, cedar, and benzoin. Not an exact match of the soap - but definitely one that I enjoy.

Scents are a weird thing and my likes spread the spectrum - especially on the citrus side - I could swim in Five Alive, but also appreciate toned down citrus like today's shave.

The razor is the stainless steel Hawk v3 - much heavier than the Blacklands Vector - but does an equally good job for me on dome shaves. I truly had a fantastic shave today!

Personally - I may really need a vacation.......from my Phightin' Phils :p who have found a way to blow three leads in the last four games - and all to Division Rivals. But as they say - that is Philly sports for you. But to add another note to give you some insight on my family - my youngest son is a Yankees fan - I don't know where I went wrong.

Last edited:
Today - we're off to the Jersey Shore with a Catie's Bubbles soap and AS.

1624803915607.png

Razor: Rockwell 6S
Blade: Gillette Nacet
Brush: Yaqi Atlantis
Pre-Shave: Ariana & Evans Slick Stick
Lather: Catie’s Bubbles Summer Solstice (SFWS)
Aftershave: Catie’s Bubbles Summer Solstice
Additional Care:
Barrister & Mann Terrorade
Zingari Man Rescue Potion
Zingari Man Unscented (Vegan) Balm
Abercrombie & Fitch First Instinct EdT

The label of this definitely reminds me of going to the beach at my grandparent's shore house at Chadwick Beach in NJ (especially with the wood Adirondack chairs) - some of my fondest memories. It is hard not to get a great shave with the Rockwell - and today was the case - it is so easy to use and using one of my favorite blades.

The soap and aftershave are fantastic - the scent has a citrusy-fruity opening, but has sandalwood that tames it - adds that mature note - which to me, makes this a perfectly balanced soap. The base does seem a little heavier than most Catie's Bubbles soaps - which I find to be very soft and airy. The notes are: Sweet citrus notes of bergamot & watermelon blend into a green heart of basil & geranium on a base of sandalwood, aldehydes, cashmeran, and hedione. I thought with the hedione there would be a sunblock type of note - but thankfully (for me) there is not. These are part of the West Coast Shaving South Florida Wet Shavers (SFWS) collection. I always found that amusing - since none of the Soap Makers in the collection are from South Florida - Caties Bubbles, K Shave Worx, Barrister & Mann, Wholly Kaw, Stirling, and Murphy & McNeil.

I just received the Yaqu Atlantis brush in the mail yesterday - which was a nice touch with the sand, seaweed, and sea shells :)

The cologne, A&F First Instict, doesn't match the notes of the soap (except for the melon) - but compliments it well with a boozy feeling - like your sipping an adult drink on the beach watching the waves come in with that slight, always present, breeze. Notes are: Top notes are Melon, Tonic Water and Gin; middle notes are Violet Leaf, Sichuan Pepper and Citruses; base notes are Musk, Suede and Amber.

Today I'm taking the fam over to Urban Air - lots of trampolines, Laser Tag, Bumper Cars in my future. My Phils once again took a lead into the 9th only to blow it once again. It's like they don't want to win. I now know what feelings Cleveland Browns fans must feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back