The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Reasons why I mix my coffee with whiskey, my list of bodies I have buried in the woods, and other thoughts while shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOTD: 04/30/2022

1651330035779.jpeg

Razor: Homelike Shaving Taiga
Blade: Gillette Sputnik, 1st use
Brush: Boti Classic Stable Wood & Orange Resin
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary Red Mug
Soap: Dr. Jon’s Shaving Soap Co Propaganda Puck
Aftershave: Dr. Jon’s Shaving Soap Co Propaganda Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Sego Balm
Additional Care: Giorgio Armani Acqua Di Gio Pour Homme EdT

Awesome shave this morning - great way to start the weekend! This is my first shave with the HLS Taiga (I had sent it off to get polished) - and it did not disappoint - right up there with my other top shavers as far as smoothness and efficiency (which you’d expect of an adjustable). There are nuances of this razor to be aware of - though it does go from 1-9 - it can go past - you could give yourself a 10mm blade gap lol. The other thing is this whole razor can be disassembled easily to do a thorough cleaning. All in all a great razor.

The soap is part of a 4 soap Dr. Jon Trilogy (you read right lol) - reminds me of my favorite book series of all time - the 5 book trilogy The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. Dr. Jon is known to do these series releases - though this one Propaganda is the only one the artisan still sells. Anyway - this series is based on the Cold War which @GearNoir is probably too young to remember (considering he doesn’t appreciate the long tradition of putting on colognes that make you smell like your Grandpa lol).

So for 3 of the 4 soaps - there is a common scent base of mandarin and sandalwood which to me, both smell fantastic together. Propaganda then adds amber to round it out - and this is my favorite of the bunch. Conquest, which was the 3rds in the series - but my second favorite adds a blackberry note. And then there is Defiance - which should have been used in the Nevada desert as part of nuclear testing - because for some reason the artisan thought putting black currant (which smells like the devil’s armpit after a 26 mile run in the desert) in it would be a good idea. Much like Grooming Dept Angel, black current was a huge mistake and should be pictured on all artisan sites as a warning to others.

Moving on, there is a 4th soap which is based again on one of my all time favorite movies, Dr. Strangelove and is called Strangelove. Now I have wanted to get this forever, just to complete the series and even though it is no longer being sold - Murphy & McNeil at least had it for sale for over a year and I didn’t pull the trigger - because I couldn’t get past the scent note - scorched earth, burning grass, and paranoia - lol. Well it would have rounded out my collection.

Well this soap and AS were fantastic and I enjoyed my start to my day.

Have a wonderful Saturday everyone!

SOTD: 05/06/2022

1651850076191.jpeg

Razor: Dovo 5/8” INOX Olive Wood
Brush: Yaqi Ferrari Rough Complex
Bowl: Walmart Soup Mug
Soap: Ariana & Evans Cuban Highball Puck
Aftershave: Ariana & Evans Cuban Highball Aftershave
Additional Care: Jacques Zolty Severo EdP

So - it’s been a week for sure!

1651850128551.jpeg

Back on track hopefully - and I do love my job, but sometimes, whew!

Love the scent of this soap and AS - probably would have been good for Cinco de Mayo - though this is rum based not tequila. Severo EdP rounds it out quite nicely!

My second Rocnel arrived yesterday - this one is an artist club. In my quest for all things heavy stainless steel - this is the pinnacle. So I started with a Karve at 98 grams and that was nice. Found the Smart Helix Apollo and at 120 grams and it’s like - ok we’ve moved up to functional fitness. Then I got my blessed Rocnel Sailor at 135 grams and I’m like - we’re full on Cross Fit dudes! But how little did I know how much room I had to go……..So the SE-50 comes in at 150 grams and yells “Do you even lift bro?”

1651850521873.jpeg

Now as far as shaving goes - smooth as silk - perfect blend of smoothness and efficiency - very similar shave to the Blackland Vector - just with a lot more heft! Wow. This is a razor you have to let do the work if nothing for the fact that the barbell of a razor it is - it is the boss. But this is a great acquisition. I was pleasantly surprised as well - because I like polished (not glass shine) razors - and the pictures appeared sand or glass bead blasted - for a satin finish - but when i received mine - it was polished - so bonus!

Have a great day my friends!

Welcome back Brian! Glad you’re still kickin 😂

The new Rocnel sounds awesome! Similar reasons to why I like the Brass General so much, though it’s a fair bit milder it sounds like. Anyway…nice acquisition!

Welcome back Brian! Glad you’re still kickin 😂

The new Rocnel sounds awesome! Similar reasons to why I like the Brass General so much, though it’s a fair bit milder it sounds like. Anyway…nice acquisition!
Thank you Chris! I was really surprise with how much I like the razor. When I was speaking with the artisan - I had asked him if I could pay extra to polish it and he agreed, but when he was done - he said he didn’t recommend it. But when I received it - it was exactly the type of finish I like and the fact that it shave well for me - double bonus 😂

SOTD: 05/07/2022

1651938726235.jpeg

Razor: Gillette Toggle
Blade: Gillette King C. Gillette, 3rd use
Brush: TonmiKo Curly Birch Badger
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary Red Mug
Soap: Catie’s Bubbles Eau de Thé Croap
Aftershave: Catie’s Bubbles Eau de Thé Aftershave
Additional Care: Hugo Boss The Scent Private Accord EdT

It’s a blah, rainy day - so tea seems to be what the doctor ordered - simple but really great ”flavor” - tea, lemon, ginger. First time ever using the Toggle. Neat experience - a bit more aggressive than the Fatboy or Slim IMO - but a good shaver none the less.

Aidan and I are going to build a domino machine today as our project - hopefully it will turn out like this…….

1651938953647.gif

Have a great day.

SOTD: 05/08/2022

1652007509347.jpeg

Razor: Gillette Executive (Rhodium)
Blade: Gillette King C. Gillette, 4th use
Brush: Yaqi Mysterious Space
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary Black Mug
Soap: Maestro Miche Moonlight Serenade Puck
Aftershave: Wholly Kaw Monaco Royale Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Sego Balm.
Additional Care: Versace Blue Jeans EdT

First shave with the President - very enjoyable shave. Nice old school nods for all the scents.

I have to get Aidan a PCR COVID test as he’s having dental procedures at the hospital where they are putting him under general anesthesia. Other than that - looks to be a generally quiet day - hoping it dries up a little so I can mow the lawn.

Have a great day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back