The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Reasons why I mix my coffee with whiskey, my list of bodies I have buried in the woods, and other thoughts while shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOTD: 04/18/2022

1650285139733.jpeg

Razor: Stando Polska Gryphon With Lanca Handle
Blade: Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Stainless (Green), 1st use
Brush: Boti Brush Classic Stable Wood & Green Resin
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary Lime Mug
Soap: Barrister & Mann Citricuya Puck
Aftershave: Mäurer & Wirtz Sir Irisch Moos Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Vegan Balm
Additional Care: Paco Rabanne Sport De Paco Rabanne

Little bit of green for a spring time shave. B&M Citricuya is a release they do for the South Florida Wet Shavers club - which I always thought it to be perplexing - because all the artisans that do soaps/AS for them are from the NorthEast - NY/NJ area (B&M, KShave Worx, Wholly Kaw)……..maybe they all plan to fit the stereotype and will move there when they retire 😂

Finished it off with a new acquisition - Sport de Paco Rabanne - a green/old school scent with a splash of citrus. I like Sport versions of old school colognes because they still have that classic smell - but round out the rougher edges with citrus.

Aidan has Spring Break this week - so we’ll have some STEAM projects planned. I think today we’ll make soap. Yesterday we made a light box which I thought was cool.

1650285511629.jpeg

Have a great week!

They were lonely - apparently my other razors don’t speak Turkish - so the Rocnel Sailor needed a friend

giphy.gif

So, a few hours ago, I found out that someone tried to open a Discover Card in my name. After going through the rigamarole of the steps I need to follow to get the address that was used on the application (they couldn’t release it for privacy matters - I said - whoever did it broke the law and I want to press charges - why do they get protections). I know that it probably won’t lead to anything - but I have no problems because this stuff won’t stop unless actions are taken. I had previously this happen to me with Discover before - my ex opened a card in my name. The DA said they were not going to press charges because - get this, although they admitted we were legally separated at the time and that my signature was forged - and that the handwriting did match hers, and that I only found out through pulling a credit report because she had maxed the card - they weren’t pressing charges because she had only used it for ”normal” items - such as groceries, home items, clothes, etc. When I asked the DA if I could have her social security number and address so I could open a credit card in her name and I promised I would only use it on said items - she hung up on me. Little did the DA understand I’m not a quitter - so I went before a judge - so she had to do more paperwork due to her inaction than had she just gone through the motions.

Anyway, I discovered that one of the credit agencies had no frozen my credit report - so the easiest way was to open an account. 2 hours later it is opened but I can understand how Equifax got hacked a few years back and that they could possibly be the worst company on the planet.

On the online form - filled out all the information - but when processing the info to open the account - I got an error to call a specific number. Tried again - but got redirected to the same number. Called the number. Had to deal with a 5 minute message that you couldn’t get passed without listening to the whole thing and then onto the options. Was on hold for another 10 before the option to leave a call back number.

Finally someone called me back and we went through the steps - they manually pushed the account through. Went to log in - error message (account /password don’t match). He sent me an email to reset the account. Same error (mind you I am using a password program)) - so I entered manually. Same error. Now at this point I am positive that I am not entering the info wrong - password program, copy and paste, manually typing - same results. I am using their criteria for password.

Then he asks if I am using a VPN. I told him yes. “well you can’t do that - it won’t work” - then proceeds to tell me, an IT Engineer with a 30 years experience and a background in Information Security and certifications in IT architecture how a VPN works and why they don’t allow It. Ok, not worth arguing that this is the stupidest policy and I can see why they, a Credit Agency and ironically an ID Protection company had gotten hacked.

I turned off the VPN - same results. Getting frustrated. “Sir, what type of computer are you using”. I told him an iPad. He asked me to use another machine. I log onto my work PC. Get the same results. This time I used the simplest password possible. Still same results - password changed successfully, then when logging back in - same error.
I told him that the 2 other agencies, plus the ID Theft company had similar account creation processes and there were no issues. Could he check with his IT team to see what the error codes are on his end - it seems to be transactional. If they check out x, y, z - we may be able to find the problem.

He told me he couldn’t get the IT department because it was on my end. He asked, “Sir are you on a domain?.” Yes, (I hold my contempt). Well sir, sometimes it won’t work because domains don’t allow these actions. Mr. Tech Dude, I promise you, there are no restrictions on this end to your site. “How do you know.“ Well for one, I set up the network, and your company’s website is not blocked. We block whole sites (domains). If we were blocking, I wouldn’t even be able to get to the form. I can see my data leaving the network.

”Well sir - there is the problem- we sometimes restrict what is coming from domains.” Mmmmm, so you are saying this on on your site. “./Yes, it is on our website, but it’s because you are on a domain.”

At this point, and the whole point of the story is I got to do the OLD MAN thing……call someone son who is not my son. I said Son, I do this for a living….….there is not way to be on the internet without being on a domain……even your home network, whether you realize it or not, is on your Internet provider’s domain. That is the way the Intertubes work. I give him credit - he didn’t go down without a fight. “We’re not on the internet.” Really, you already said your company doesn’t support VPNs and I know that your company is not on my network - so unless there is divine intervention - we are on the internet. I‘m doing the rest of the talking - we have been on the phone for over an hour now….I understand that your company gave you a script - but guess what - we’re off the playbook now,…….You have two options - get your IT department to checkout x, y, z Or get your supervisor on. And if you chose neither……you had better hope that you gave me a fake name, and i will have a VP On the line to track down how many 1 hour and 7 minute calls there were today.

Silence, then he said he’d get the IT department…..He gets back on - ”The IT department said to try it again,” It works. Great, “ so what did they do so you can enter that in your Knowledge Articles - so future customers don’t have to go through this. “They didn’t do anything.” mmmmmmmm

All I can say is that I am proud that I didn’t use any F bombs nor make any implications to what I thought his mother was……Progress 😂

Last edited:
Sorry Brian…thanks for the Rocnel though!

Seriously though! It’s almost worth it to let the scammers get away with it! 😵

Sorry that happened.

SOTD: 04/19/2022

1650378586201.gif

Razor: Dovo 5/8” INOX Olive Wood
Brush: TG Shave Co Honey & Cream
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary White Mug
Soap: CBL Soap Dread Pirate Roberts Puck
Aftershave: CBL Soap Dread Pirate Roberts Tonic Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Sego Balm
Additional Care: John Varvaros Dark Rebel EdT

Ok, time to attack the new day! Aidan got up super early - I guess his brother and sisters have not explained to him - on days off from school - teenagers are allowed to sleep in - not get up before 5 AM! Alls not lost, the extra time enabled me to get a proper breakfast that of course included bacon!

1650378759795.gif

Well off the work, STEAM with Aidan, then noon time Urban Air!

Have a great day everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back