The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Reasons why I mix my coffee with whiskey, my list of bodies I have buried in the woods, and other thoughts while shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOTD: 04/15/2022

1650040850290.gif

Razor: Stando Polska Gryphon With Lanca Handle
Blade: Pol Silver Super Iridium, 1st use
Brush: Yaqi Purple Haze
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary White Mug
Soap: Barrister & Mann Fougére Angelique Puck
Aftershave: Barrister & Mann Fougére Angelique Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Vegan Balm
Additional Care: Givenchy Gentleman Cologne

Can you tell I had a little time on my hands on this slow work day? Great scent all around - the Gentleman Givenchy Cologne really surprises me how much I like it (on par with Eau Sauvage and Eight & Bob. Just a nice lively “sunny” frag - that gives both that old school masculine with new modern touch.

Now I just need to convince B&M to release their Le Grand Chypre back into a frag again!

Stoked that @Bill M and I are going to link up tomorrow - He’s going to teach me convex honing (I’ve never honed anything before) - so I am very excited to learn and glean from his expertise. He’s going to sharpen my new Dovo INOX while I practice on some Gold Dollars.

Have a wonderful Friday everyone!

Last edited:
SOTD: 04/15/2022

View attachment 80501

Razor: Stando Polska Gryphon With Lanca Handle
Blade: Pol Silver Super Iridium, 1st use
Brush: Yaqi Purple Haze
Soap: Barrister & Mann Fougére Angelique Puck
Aftershave: Barrister & Mann Fougére Angelique Aftershave
Additional Care: Givenchy Gentleman Cologne

Can you tell I had a little time on my hands on this slow work day? Great scent all around - the Gentleman Givenchy Cologne really surprises me how much I like it (on par with Eau Sauvage and Eight & Bob. Just a nice lively “sunny” frag - that gives both that old school masculine with new modern touch.

Now I just need to convince B&M to release their Le Grand Chypre back into a frag again!

Stoked that @Bill M and I are going to link up tomorrow - He’s going to teach me convex honing (I’ve never honed anything before) - so I am very excited to learn and glean from his expertise. He’s going to sharpen my new Dovo INOX while I practice on some Gold Dollars.

Have a wonderful Friday everyone!
That sounds awesome man! You and @Bill M have a great time, enjoy learning a new skill. Maybe you’ll be able to teach us all something new when you come back? Have a great day! PS Fougère Angelique is one of my favorites, good stuff!

In case you have not read about me elsewhere, I’m a rank amateur hack that ruins razors.

I do love how they shave though.
😎
That’s it, someone needs to protect @Scuttlesoap from your satanic and backward honing teachings! He’s going to be ruined for ever! E.V.E.R. Guys back me up! Just kidding obviously!

On a side note, @Bill M will you take me on and ruin my honing technique too?

That’s it, someone needs to protect @Scuttlesoap from your satanic and backward honing teachings! He’s going to be ruined for ever! E.V.E.R. Guys back me up! Just kidding obviously!

On a side note, @Bill M will you take me on and ruin my honing technique too?
😂

Since Vegas was not in the cards for you this year, if you want, I’ll be glad to send you my loaner kit when I get back.

Beware! I have had friends verbally attacked by PM on other venues and been ejected from one for adopting this technique.

It is the Dark Side of the Dark Side.
302D4B5D-D6FC-40ED-B73C-001ABAA76895.jpeg

😂

Since Vegas was not in the cards for you this year, if you want, I’ll be glad to send you my loaner kit when I get back.

Beware! I have had friends verbally attacked by PM on other venues and been ejected from one for adopting this technique.

It is the Dark Side of the Dark Side.
View attachment 80509
That's just ridiculous... I see no reason why people need to act this way. Very foolish frame of mind.

This brings to mind an experience I had on Facebook with a cast iron user and collector group. I purchased a griddle and found it extremely rough and a pain to use. I mentioned that I was considering to take my orbital sander to it, to lightly remove the super high points on the finish. I got a PM that I was removed from the group for bringing up the modification of cast iron and that it was dangerous to mention such things(potential health hazard "WHAT??") So, I've been there.

Honestly, I'm surprised that there aren't a few forums out there with faultfinders who complain about "the method" lapping film honing as not pure enough. I've never done it, but why knock it before you try it?

That's just ridiculous... I see no reason why people need to act this way. Very foolish frame of mind.

This brings to mind an experience I had on Facebook with a cast iron user and collector group. I purchased a griddle and found it extremely rough and a pain to use. I mentioned that I was considering to take my orbital sander to it, to lightly remove the super high points on the finish. I got a PM that I was removed from the group for bringing up the modification of cast iron and that it was dangerous to mention such things(potential health hazard "WHAT??") So, I've been there.

Honestly, I'm surprised that there aren't a few forums out there with faultfinders who complain about "the method" lapping film honing as not pure enough. I've never done it, but why knock it before you try it?
The bright side is that had I not gotten the right foot of fellowship from where I started, I might have never found The Cadre.

It seems that the art of argument in the Aristotelian sense is completely lost. You can’t debate without a shared set of assumptions. Details and execution can be debated, but principles and facts whither in a zero sum world. It is truly a dangerous trend.

It seems that the art of argument in the Aristotelian sense is completely lost. You can’t debate without a shared set of assumptions. Details and execution can be debated, but principles and facts whither in a zero sum world. It is truly a dangerous trend.
We shall have not philosophical debates where we beseech Greek logic - which then require me to think on my own thread sir!😂

1650050499159.gif

There - I invoked the Zeitgeist of recent Pop Culture (within the past two decades) - making me relevant again!

Amen my friend, AMEN

SOTD: 04/17/2022

1650199227327.jpeg

Razor: Dovo 5/8” INOX Olive Wood
Brush: Oumo Brush Golden Age Ebony Badger
Soap: Dr. Jon’s Shaving Soap Co 53 East & 51st Puck
Aftershave: West Coast Shaving No. 1 Gatsby V2 Aftershave
Additional Care: Giorgio Armani Eau Pour Homme EdT

So today’s shave is brought to you by the expertise of @Bill M who honed my Dovo stainless steel razor (vid to be posted later today). I throughly enjoyed our bonding yesterday. Had to do a classy shave today - with upscale scents.

I hope everyone has a fantastic Sunsay and if you celebrate the holiday today - Happy Easter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back