The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Reasons why I mix my coffee with whiskey, my list of bodies I have buried in the woods, and other thoughts while shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOTD: 04/03/2022

1648986651933.jpeg

Razor: Barber Dave Bitchin’ Straight
Brush: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Atomic Rocket
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary Red Mug
Soap: Elly’s Wonder Shop Prancola Puck
Aftershave: Pinnacle Grooming Classic Cola Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Sego Balm

Well Well.…..Delving in the world of straights…..

1648986766693.gif

So, I was a little apprehensive with this shave - first - I have to thank @BarberDave for this wonderful razor - I am not worthy!

I was a little nervous - my only other experience with straight razors was a Gold Dollar - and I was just learning to strop - you can see where this is going. Straight shaving to me has a different feel to it than with a shavette. You find out really quickly if you have the right angle. Luckily for me, no cuts until the end - and that was barely even a Knick - I didn’t feel it - maybe it was a blemish - but it didn’t take anything but cold water to make it stop. This was truly a fun experience and I look forward to this adventure!

Since I had done a few other “soda shaves” - I thought I’d continue on with this one from Elly’s House of Wonders. This artisan covers the gamut of scents - all originals. The base has this bluish hue. I originally thought this was on purpose because of the nod to Pepsi - but her other soaps are similar - so it is part of the base. Base is really easy to lather and provide very good slickness both initial and residual.

Pinnacle Grooming is a UK based artisan - and a really nice person - I’ve had several conversations with him. He does a lot of scents- about 1/2 are dupes. He has a significant amount of homages of Penhaligon’s frags - and also does one of my favorite colognes - Tom Ford’s Beau de Jour. His labels are fantastic - and he has about 100 soaps out there. While most of his soaps and AS are in that Goldilock’s window - and great skin food - there is something about his gourmand based scents - that can irritate the skin. It seems the ones with vanillin in them and it can burn - and not in an alcohol way. This is strange to me as for his cologne scents - there is absolutely no issue - but with his gourmands - I have had the experience with all of them. It is also bizarre to me because being in Europe - he has to adhere to a more strict code of ingredients.

I really enjoyed the shave! Now onto stropping class! @Bill M is going to link up with me to show me how to hone! Looking forward to that.

We’re going to go to the big park today and then just chill - it’s been a long, arduous week and looking forward to some downtime with the fam!

Oh now that he has a Rocnel it’s time to ditch it and go into the deepest rabbit hole of them all!

I tried for a fem months myself, thankfully very little blood was spilled, but I just couldn’t get a good shave.

Well now that all the cool guys are doing it, I guess I’ll have to try (and fail) again too soon.

SOTD: 04/07/2022

1649340263630.jpeg

Razor: Barber Dave Bitchin’ Straight
Brush: Chisel And Hound 3056RC IPA Manchurian Badger
Bowl: Walmart Floral Bowl
Soap: CBL Soap Bee-Spoke Puck
Aftershave: Ginger’s Garden Lemon Honey Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Vegan Balm
Additional Care: Azzaro Ginger Lover EdT

Second shave with the BDBS! Getting betting - feeling a little more comfortable. Took my time when doing the pre-shave strop. The soap is just wonderful - and I’m pretending the brush today isn’t representing IPA but honey in a honeycomb😂. How could I not finish with some citrus and honey AS? First time with the APH Ginger Lover - really neat scent - almost like a ginger ale at first - which I love and a nice dry down - simple notes: Ginger, Lime, Vetiver.

Have a fantastic day everyone!

LaCoste sounds great! Let us know how the performance goes for ya!
Just a quick follow up on this - wore it several times. I have to say I love the scent. Performance wise it is mid range - not a mega long lasting. Keeping into account nose blindness - it seems to be around for about 1-2 hours and then a skin scent after that- I could detect the scent 5-6 hours afterwards. The several times I’ve worn it - I did physical activity so that may have played a role - but overall pleased with the performance. This is my second LaCoste - I’m pleased with the house - as you know - I love citrus and the combo with this and ginger almost gives it a ginger ale feeling - the mid and base notes add some depth. So scent wise - for me - this is definitively a win - it is a masculine citrus scent. Performance wise - it is not a super hero - I would say better for warmer weather.

I would say, even with my promo code - the price was a little higher than what it should be - but I would expect it to come down with the gray markets later on this year. For very similar notes, I think LaCoste has an even better frag - L’Homme Intense which is a much better buy price wise and performance wise. It has a rhubarb note which when I read it - probably not for me - but it is a fantastic frag and has this almost cooling effect - so another great warm weather scent. IMO it is even a better scent and about $30 cheaper than this one (at the discounted price).

The notes are:

Top notes: rhubarb, quince, mandarin, orange
Heart: ginger, pepper, jasmine, almond
Base: vetiver, cedar, Akigalawood®, amber, musk, vanilla, cypriol

Great set today Brian! Man, Azzaro has so many iterations…tempting 😂
Just a quick follow up on this - wore it several times. I have to say I love the scent. Performance wise it is mid range - not a mega long lasting. Keeping into account nose blindness - it seems to be around for about 1-2 hours and then a skin scent after that- I could detect the scent 5-6 hours afterwards. The several times I’ve worn it - I did physical activity so that may have played a role - but overall pleased with the performance. This is my second LaCoste - I’m pleased with the house - as you know - I love citrus and the combo with this and ginger almost gives it a ginger ale feeling - the mid and base notes add some depth. So scent wise - for me - this is definitively a win - it is a masculine citrus scent. Performance wise - it is not a super hero - I would say better for warmer weather.

I would say, even with my promo code - the price was a little higher than what it should be - but I would expect it to come down with the gray markets later on this year. For very similar notes, I think LaCoste has an even better frag - L’Homme Intense which is a much better buy price wise and performance wise. It has a rhubarb note which when I read it - probably not for me - but it is a fantastic frag and has this almost cooling effect - so another great warm weather scent. IMO it is even a better scent and about $30 cheaper than this one (at the discounted price).

The notes are:

Top notes: rhubarb, quince, mandarin, orange
Heart: ginger, pepper, jasmine, almond
Base: vetiver, cedar, Akigalawood®, amber, musk, vanilla, cypriol
Great! Although a “wood” with a registered trademark next to it is a bit funky 😂

SOTD: 04/08/2022

1649426573530.jpeg

Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Feather Pro Guard Artist Club, 1st use
Brush: Razor Emporium Amber & Black Best Badger
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary White Mug
Soap: Ethos Grooming Mandarin & Orange Puck
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Tangerine Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Vegan Balm
Additional Care: Jil Sander Sun Men EdT

Like a fresh orange juice shave! Did a noggin shave to use the new Ethos Mandarin & Orange body shaving soap - it was a fantastic experience. This may shock you, but I have a few citrus aftershaves that could pair with this soap - but I think Stirling complements it so well! Jil Sander Sun is a fantastic orange forward men’s cologne - just right for this type of weather.

I hope everyone has a fantastic day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back