The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Reasons why I mix my coffee with whiskey, my list of bodies I have buried in the woods, and other thoughts while shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOTD: 02/28/2022

1646077249068.jpeg

Razor: Homelike Shaving CPAPT (START) 2
Blade: Gillette Nacet, 5th use
Brush: Boti Classic Stable Wood & Orange Resin
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary Red Mug
Preshave: Ariana & Evans Slick Stick Soap
Soap: Through The Fire Fine Craft Lead Sled Puck
Aftershave: Floïd Caja Negro Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Sego Balm
Additional Care: Bathhouse Soaps Bespoke (Honkey-Tonk Man & Sweet Tea)

This was not the shave I had planned for this razor- but given the current geo-political environment - it would have been insensitive to use the soap/AS combo I had planned.. I have people I love in both countries - and it my hope that they are all ok; it’s always these good people that get impacted - never the people that deserve it.

The soap label reminds me of when I was a kid and collected matchboxes - I loved cars, trucks, and vans with the fire streaks on the sides - badass! The scent is more along the lines of some one you’d picture driving one of these beasts:

Description: Scents of Bourbon, citrus, patchouli, cedar, coffee, and Tonka bean work together to create a smooth, smoky, vanilla bourbon scent.

Figured good ol’ Floïd Black would help finish it off along with another dose of my new bespoke scent - just because.

The razor is from Homelike Shaving - this is version 2 of their START razor; I had version one but had sold it - the handle, head, and baseplates are all “backwards compatible” with the older version. I do like this version better - the handle is that classic shape. The differences when you buy it though are the old version it came in satin or polished, then it had 4 baseplates - .68 solid bar, .90 solid bar & open comb, and 1.18 solid bar. You had to buy it as a package. I do see that now you can buy the baseplates separately.

In the new version only comes polished. You can buy it stand alone as 1 cap, baseplate, handle or you can get it as a package - but now you only get either open comb or solid bar. You can buy baseplates separately. I bought the solid bar package and 1 open comb plate. The blade gaps are much different - .90, 1.2, 1.4. And 1.7 mm blade gaps. The blade exposure, from what I can tell, is either neutral or just slight exposure which tames the razor supposedly.

I spent the day in court mediation over Aidan; please everyone remind me to have all exwife lawyers hung upside down by their toe nails when I’m leading the United States of Scuttlesoap.

Have a great rest of the day!

Last edited:

What's that thing that looks like a dog jumping behind him in the gif?

I didn’t even see that lol - Leather jacket - or a flattened orangutan?

I just went and watched the music video on Youtube of him performing Greased Lightning in the Movie Grease and what you are seeing is right after John Travolta threw his jacket on top of the lockers in the Auto Shop but before it fell all the way on top of the lockers..

SOTD: 03/01/2022

1646144331416.jpeg

Razor: Homelike Shaving CPAPT (START) 2
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux, 2nd use
Brush: Yaqi Ferrari Rough Complex
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary Red Mug
Soap: 345 Soap Company Rendezvous Puck
Aftershave: Epsilon Amber Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Sego Balm
Additional Care: Versace Pour Homme (Signature) EdT

Awesome shave today- I went with the 1.20 and 1.40 mm blade gaps respectively today. Very smooth - very little blade feel. The shave, while very, very nice, was just slightly less smooth that the Stando Polska Gryphon - I can’t make a judgement yet though if it is a difference in the razors or a difference In that I used different blades. I find the Rapira’s to be lean towards the sharper side vice smooth. Yesterday I had used both the smooth bar and open comb .90mm blade gap and it was super smooth and zero blade feel- there were times I wasn’t sure that I had the right angle because of lack of blade feel.

I also started last night and today trying something different - starting my shaves by putting my razor under cold water and then rinsing the razor with cold water - I know this isn’t a new technique by any stretch of the imagination - I just have never tried it - but IMO it made a huge difference - and I’m going to continue along this path. Really enjoyed the feel of the razor with the cold steel.

Finished off with Versace Pour Homme - which is also what the soap is an homage to - to me a classic, no frills kind of scent. It isn’t an Dior Eau Sauvage or Chanel Pour Monsieur - but I don’t think it’s trying to be - I think you could wear this to the office, probably to more formal events, and also with jeans and a tshirt.

Back to the grind at work! And music therapy for Aidan this afternoon.

Have a great day everyone!

I end up doing cold water shaves most mornings by default due to how long it takes the upstairs water to get warm. It does help with irritation for sure I feel!

Have a great day Brian!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back