The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Reasons why I mix my coffee with whiskey, my list of bodies I have buried in the woods, and other thoughts while shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOTD: 02/19/2022

1645276119168.jpeg

Razor: Maggard Razors SS70 - Stando Polska King Hybrid
Blade: Gillette 7 O’Clock SharpEdge (Yellow), 2nd use
Brush: RazoRock Noir Plissoft
Bowl: Walmart Soup Mug
Soap: Master Soap Creations Vintage Lapidus Puck
Aftershave: Floïd Mentolado Vigoroso Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Sego Balm
Additional Care: Ted Lapidus Lapidus Pour Homme EdT

Went old school today - trying out the new Stando Polska handle - reminds me of the Gillette Fatboy/Slim/Aristocrat pattern. It’s nice and heavy. I tell you - for the price - the Maggard Stainless Steel head is a really good value. The artisan nailed the scent of the soap - really is a great homage to the cologne.

Actually have work all day today - managing a data center switch upgrade.

Have a great day everyone!

SOTD: 02/20/2022

1645383507666.jpeg

Razor: REX Supply Co Konsul
Blade: Gillette Nacet, 4th use
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Christmas’21 Badger
Bowl: Walmart Soup Mug
Preshave: Ariana & Evans Slick Stick Soap
Soap: Victory Shaving Company Flak-Bait Puck
Aftershave: Clubman Reserve Sweet Rum Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Vegan Balm
Additional Care: Azzaro Wanted By Night EdP (had to correct it - I’m a little dull today :))

Rarely do I praise a razor after just using it once - but all I can say is wow - this was one fantastically great shave. I was apprehensive because while I love my REX Ambassador - to me - it is definitely on the aggressive side - I can only use it no higher that around 2 1/2 and I have to use a Derby Blade. This razor - while physically looking like the Ambassador - is a completely different razor. Again, nervous because it was a slant - but this was soooooo smooth. Cranked it all the way up to a 4 - no issues, very little blade feel - smooth as silk. Next time I have 3-4 days worth of growth I’ll see what happens when I crank it all the way up. All the other aspects of the razor are similar to the Ambassador - easy of directing the razor, the glide, getting under the nose, the feel in the hand. This has slightly different knurling - which I thought the Ambassador already had one of the best in the biz - and the Konsul’s knurling is right up there, if not better - love the design.

If there is anything on the con side - loading the blade on the cap was a little awkward - blade did not sit flat against the cap, but there was enough of the posts to keep it in place. One I secured the base with it and tightened it down - there was no blade chatter - but something to keep in mind - to pay attention when loading the blade.

Flak Bait has a wonderful cherry note And the both the AS and cologne compliment the scents - yay!

But this isn’t the only reason I’m happy - today Aidan took the new Supply SE out for spin - and fantastic shave for him. Even with the Twig - I can tell for him there is a little blade feel - but with the SE - he smiled and laughed the whole way through. I had my doubts - but those fins do the trick. He used Ginger’s Garden Pink Boi - which is a homage to the bubble gum that we used to get in baseball card packs - or Double Bubble - really fun scent!

Looking forward to the Zoom today! Have a great Sunday!

Rarely do I praise a razor after just using it once - but all I can say is wow - this was one fantastically great shave.
Thanks for the review. I’m already a fan of slants and this one seems to be garnering quite of bit of praise for its smoothness. Looks like the first run is already sold out and they are back to taking pre-orders for run #2

Thanks for the review. I’m already a fan of slants and this one seems to be garnering quite of bit of praise for its smoothness. Looks like the first run is already sold out and they are back to taking pre-orders for run #2
I have to say that while I was expecting a good shave - I was taken back at how smooth this was - given my experience with my Ambassador. While I didn’t venture past 4 just because the first pass was so efficient - there wasn’t a point in which I felt I needed to dial back greatly - I kept it a 3 & 4 the whole shave.

They aren’t offering the standard 15% discount yet - but there was talk about coming up with a slant non-adjustable around Father’s Day - so I would anticipate the discount would be in effect by then. But I feel it was definitely worth the money even at the non-discounted price. Given that it is made locally - the cost is reasonable to me.
I don’t think you’ll be disappointed in the least when you get one.

SOTD: 02/21/2022

1645449676492.jpeg

Razor: Supply Co Single Edge
Blade: Supply Co Single Edge Injector (Black), 5th use
Brush: Stirling Soap Finest Badger Butterscotch
Bowl: Otartu Viking Skull Mug
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Gael Laoch Orange Puck
Aftershave: Murphy & McNeil Gael Laoch Orange Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Sego Balm
Additional Care: Murphy & McNeil Gael Laoch Orange Solid Cologne

Starting the day with a mighty ”Yalp!” - since I have the day off. Going to chill most of the morning. Love the orange and spicy hit for this cool, crisp morning. Trying out the solid cologne from M&M to see how it performs against the Creed cologne.

Aidan has a dentist appointment this afternoon- other than that - no plans - but I see another STEAM project in our future!

Have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back