The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Reasons why I mix my coffee with whiskey, my list of bodies I have buried in the woods, and other thoughts while shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOTD: 02/09/2022

1644411901408.jpeg

Razor: Tatara Muramasa
Blade: Gillette Nacet, 3rd use
Brush: Boti Brush Purple & Green Stable Wood
Bowl: Walmart Soup Mug
Soap: Stirling Soap Lemon Lavender Mint Puck
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Lemon, Lavender, & Mint Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Sego Balm
Additional Care: Hugo Boss Boss Bottled Unlimited EdT

Today is just a celebration of wanted something simple but refreshing. Stirling just has a way of doing that. Nice shave finished off with a little minty freshness of Hugo Boss.

Yesterday Aidan and I made mood slime - I tell you - I wish I knew when I was a kid how to make slime - it is so easy - borax, glue, and a little water. In this case we added another heat reactive powder - I have to look it up - it was more fine that talcum powder - just opening up the package it went all over the place 😂. When we were done - you could put a cold glass on top of it - the slime turned purple - then you put your hand on it - back to normal. Was pretty cool.

Jack starts his driver safety course soon - good luck to him!

Have a great day everyone!

SOTD: 02/12/2022

1644700809822.jpeg

Razor: Supply Co Single Edge Pro
Blade: Supply Co Single Edge Injector (Black), 1st use
Brush: Yaqi Cola
Preshave: Ariana & Evans Slick Stick Soap
Soap: Crowne & Crane Cabana Puck
Aftershave: Barberry Coast Shave Company Havana Aftershave
Additional Care: Aramis Havana EdT

Well - @Clint64 reminded me of how good Havana really smells - and I just got this new C&C soap in - and they compliment each other - some rum booziness, a touch of sugary sweetness (Not too much), and some nice rolled tobacco leaf (of course there is a smidge of citrus there as well). Very nice!

Thought I’d take the new Supply Razor out for a spin - reminds me a lot of the SE 2. Very well built, feels nice in the hand, and has just the right amount of heft/weight to it. Shave with new blades was smooth - so I am happy with the purchase. They did a very good job. Need to take it for some more drives along with the new SE.

I was reading my Popular Mechanics subscription today and something really cracked me up. Being a former Army guy - they had an article on the Javelin Weapon system. Basically this is an infantry carried anti-tank weapon. In my day - yes I’m old enough to use that phrase 😂 we had what was called the TOW - basically the same missile system - but you had to keep your scope on the target the whole time and the missile was attached to your firing point with a cable. The javelin is basically a set it and forget it - find the target - aim, shoot, walk away - don‘t have to wait for it to his the target.

Just a quick background - I was stationed at Fort Irwin, CA - which was a war game /military division on division facility - we had ranges where our targets were visually modified to look like enemy targets.

What cracked me up is that they showed a New Zealand military team demonstrating it - and their target was a white van - kind of like an old VW bus. and all I kept thinking is - is our enemy now changed to being a bunch of peace loving, tree huggers? Is their budget so low that they couldn’t afford at least a mock up of an enemy tank? Lol

1644701575296.jpeg

Fantastic post Brian. If you like the Supply Co V2, I think you will really like the Supply Pro. I am old enough to remember the TOW missile system. I started out as 11B and then got moved from the scout platoon to a platoon as an 11H. The platoon was outfitted with the original Jeeps with TOW missile systems on the back. I was a gunner and later a squad leader. Every time I road in that Jump seat, I thought I was the modern day Rat Patrol. I did get to do a live fire of the TOW at night in Fort Stuart. That was a cool.

Fantastic post Brian. If you like the Supply Co V2, I think you will really like the Supply Pro. I am old enough to remember the TOW missile system. I started out as 11B and then got moved from the scout platoon to a platoon as an 11H. The platoon was outfitted with the original Jeeps with TOW missile systems on the back. I was a gunner and later a squad leader. Every time I road in that Jump seat, I thought I was the modern day Rat Patrol. I did get to do a live fire of the TOW at night in Fort Stuart. That was a cool.
That must have been a really cool experience! I can’t imagine ever having to use that in a situation where you were being shot at at the same time while trying to stay calm enough to keep the crosshairs on the target!

I was surprised of how smooth the Pro was even at the highest settings - it was a great shave!

SOTD: 02/13/2022

1644753359229.jpeg

Razor: Supply Co Single Edge
Blade: Supply Co Single Edge Injector (Black), 2nd use
Brush: Stirling Soap Finest Badger Butterscotch
Soap: House Of Mammoth 福 (FÚ DÀO) Puck
Aftershave: House Of Mammoth 福 (FÚ DÀO) Aftershave
Additional Care: Christian Dior Fahrenheit Parfum

福 means ”blessing” which is what this shave really was. The new Supply Co SE is marketed as a milder razor - good for shaving all parts of the body. Supply‘s primary target sales group is not the wetshaving hobby - but converting cartridge razor users - and I believe we wetshaving hobbyists benefit from that. Kudos to them especially for not designing a proprietary blade system - because while the razors are not inexpensive - they are on the affordable side - and the other part of Supply’s business plan is for subscription blades. I think their new black blades really provide a comfortable shave. As much as I love the look of the One Blade razors - the fact that they use a basically proprietary blade that the cheapest I can find is $65 per 100 - and the blades themselves only last 1-3 shaves - I think One Blade missed an opportunity (I know you can modify GEMS - but I’m not a fan of non-manufacturer mods when it comes to sharp objects). But OneBlade‘s oversight is Supply’s gain.

And if you love the One Blade - trust me - I’m a fan - I love stainless steel razors, I love the “new tech” design of it - it’s just that to me - the blades do not work for me and if I’m going to pay $65 for a pack that isn‘t going to last me a year……..in my head there is a Garry Shandling quote about costs from his tv show (man I thought he and Rip Torn were hilarious) but this is a gentleman’s forum and that quote skirts the line lol.

The other competitor to this market is the Leaf Twig - especially as both razors are marketed as all-body/unisex razors. I do believe that all razors are unisex - I’m just stating this is the marketing that the companies use. I do like the new nick stop design - it provides for (as intended) a very mild shave. I am a big fan of the Leaf, but also wanted to look for an alternative for Aidan (who uses the Leaf) as well - because both the Twig and the SE are very maneuverable - and with his dexterity issues - these both fit the bill.

This razor is also compatible with the old Supply razor interchangeable bases - but then if you change out the nick stop base - you just have the v2 razor again - but they are interchangeable.

Onto the other parts of the shave. I’m a big fan of House of Mammoth - the soap and AS bases to me are great - in line with the market - but I’m a real fan of the artisan - just an all around fantastic guy. His company provides positive after school services - something he had real struggles with when COVID first hit - both in terms of keeping the business alive and for finding ways to provide services to the kids. And he handled controversy with such poise (because the REDDIT and YouTube crowd just can’t help themselves when it comes to less than stellar behavior). People forget that he wasn’t even an artisan at the time- just a hobbyist - so his releases were like only around 100 units - so the FOMO crowd and the less-than-honorable people that take advantage of that - were jacking up the after market costs to a ridiculous level - all while some in the community were blaming him (note: he was keeping his prices the same, the aftermarket was skyrocketing the prices). Some of these folks even attacked him personally - especially on Reddit, YouTube, and Instagram (It always shocked me how human beings will go to war over the silliest things - in this case water, lye, and fatty acids). Anyway, he dealt with the situation is such a fantastic way. Now his soaps and AS, while using his recipes, are produced by Vida from Olea/Chicago Grooming. If that weren’t enough to win you over - a percentage of his profits go to charity - he puts his money where his mouth is. Off my soapbox - the reason why I am on TSC (and don’t have any other social media or belong to any other shaving communities) is that we have an awesome bunch of guys that treat folks with respect - mad tip of the hat to the TSC!

The soap and AS has a little bit of everything - really gives you the feeling of celebrating the Lunar New Year- there are some citrus, some florals, and a pleasant “gun powder” scent of firecrackers.

I don’t really have anything that matches this cologne-wise; I do have a bunch of colognes with orange notes- but I thought I’d go with a heavier scent base because it is colder and I don’t get to use this one often. The Dior Fahrenheit Parfum, IMO, rounds off those notes that are considered rough in the EdT. And wouldn’t you know it - it has a nice boozy rum note in it - go figure 😂

Have a wonderful day today and 福 to your team if you are vested in today’s Super Bowl. But hey, let’s be honest - is it really a Super Bowl if the Steelers aren’t in it? Food for thought - and on that note - enjoy your pre-game festivities as well!

Last edited:
Great read Brian! Interesting new plate for the Supply…looked more like an OC than something to prevent cuts. Did they send any literature with it to explain how it works?
They did (and I was thinking the same thing about open comb) - supposedly the fins and bar work together to stretch the skin and guide the whiskers to the blade only Vice getting pinched in the gap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back