The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Reasons why I mix my coffee with whiskey, my list of bodies I have buried in the woods, and other thoughts while shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great setup today! I talked with Mo some when he was first getting started, he really is a super nice dude. Loved some of his original scents and formulations…like his Absinthe & Leather….hooooooo that was a scent to die for! Never as able to buy at the time sadly. I got worried when he started expanding, he hit a pretty rough patch. Seems he’s figured things out now and bounced back though. It’s good to see that he persistence seems to have paid off! 👍
One of the things I love so much about this hobby is the ability to reach out to the artisans - most are so very friendly and you are so right Mo is one of the best out there.

Did a second shave today - tomorrow’s going to be busy - and one of my new acquisitions arrived today…

SOTD: 02/03/2022

View attachment 74930

Razor: Gillette Fatboy
Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super Extra, 1st use
Brush: Boti Brush White Brown Wood Resin
Bowl: Walmart Soup Mug
Preshave: Ariana & Evans Slick Stick Soap
Soap: Dr. Jon’s Shaving Soap Co 53 East & 51st Puck
Aftershave: H.Zone Essential Man 1910 Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Sego Balm
Additional Care: Cassell-Massey Jockey Club EdT

Went upscale tonight - following up from the fun noggin shave this morning. Scents for both the soap and the AS remind me of the roaring 20’s and the cologne is one of two I know that JFK was associated with - the other being Eight & Bob.

So - this is my first shave ever with a Fatboy (other than when I was a kid - I used my dad’s without the blade of course). I have to say I am really impressed with the shave - very smooth - used both the 5 & 6 settings. I know I could have gone higher - but was enjoying the experience. I love the finish that Razor Emporium put on it - hopefully it will help it last even longer. I don’t see this as my daily driver - I just love stainless steel and the heft of those types - but I will be cranking this out from time to time.

This time I mean it - have a great evening - no midnight eyebrow shaves for me tonight!
If you enjoy adjustable razors but have a ‘fancy’ for stainless steel, I might suggest that you take a close look at the Rocnel Sailor.

Be warned, purchase of these shave pieces has been linked with serious wallet bruises. Never fear though, the leather will heal just like it did when the cow owned it. It’ll be good as new before the next shiny new shaving device hits the marketplace……especially if you are waiting for a polished SS Vector.
🤪

I
If you enjoy adjustable razors but have a ‘fancy’ for stainless steel, I might suggest that you take a close look at the Rocnel Sailor.

Be warned, purchase of these shave pieces has been linked with serious wallet bruises. Never fear though, the leather will heal just like it did when the cow owned it. It’ll be good as new before the next shiny new shaving device hits the marketplace……especially if you are waiting for a polished SS Vector.
🤪
I’ve been told that my product from Turkey should be sent out this month my friend!

I will keep my eyes peeled for your Vector so that it may find a good home!

Question from the audience - Word on the street is your preference in a DE is that it be adjustable. After using a razor for some time, do you find yourself using the adjustment feature?

Question from the audience - Word on the street is your preference in a DE is that it be adjustable. After using a razor for some time, do you find yourself using the adjustment feature?
I do my friend- I usually use a different setting on each pass. Usually start with a more efficient /bigger gap then go down For other passes. The only exception I have is the REX Ambassador to me is fairly aggressive - even at the lower settings so I usually keep it at 2. For the Fatboy, I used only 5 because it was my first time and it was really comfortable.

And I know this sounds stupid and is the worst reason - but I also like the look of adjustables as well.

SOTD: 02/06/2022

1644154992519.jpeg

Razor: Maggard Razors SS70 - Windrose A2 Hybrid
Blade: Gillette 7 O’Clock SharpEdge (Yellow), 1st use
Brush: RazoRock Noir Plissoft
Preshave: Ariana & Evans Slick Stick Soap
Soap: Maestro Miche Moonlight Serenade Puck
Aftershave: Vitos Citric Aftershave
Additional Care: Eight & Bob Original EdT

This lay on the side shave (I just should have thrown in A towel (not THE towel) to help with the picture 😂 - I couldn’t get the tub to stand on its side. The cantankerous beast!

I’ve seen a Maestro Miche pics on YouTube - but never thought to get it. But I liked the story with the description - and that tethered with a very affordable $10 price tag - I could not lose. Plus - you guessed it - this has some nice citrus at the top - not overpowering - this is a very well balanced soap - but it does take you back to a time where you’d put Glen Miller on your turn-table and just enjoy the ambiance.

Top Notes: Water Notes, Lemon, Anise, Orange, Bergamot
Heart Notes: Cyclamen, Lily of the Valley, Green Notes, Geranium
Base Notes: Musk, Vanilla
~
The AS reminds me of something Floid or Epsilon would produce - in this case very citrus but still keeps that vintage/traditional feel. And I closed out with one of my favorite cologne - Eight & Bob. Thought it went with the whole Joie de Vive take on this shave.

Today‘s activities will include a haircut for Aidan, a trip to Costco, Urban Air, and our Sunday Zoom!

Have a fantastic day!

Question from the audience - Since citrus scent are not known for their longevity, do you reapply later in the day?

SOTD: 02/07/2022

1644239485554.jpeg

Razor: REX Supply Company Ambassador
Blade: Derby Extra Premium, 2nd use
Brush: Boti Classic Stable Wood & Orange Resin
Soap: Happyland Barbershop Puck
Aftershave: Happyland Barbershop Aftershave
Additional Care: Maison Margiela Replica At The Barber’s EdT

Wanted to go Barbershop Scent today - and it says it right here on the label. Happyland hits the nail on the head. Very good scent - really enjoyed the shave - I should have gotten the EdP I like it so. But I love Maison Margiela - so At the Barbers also does the trick! I’ve only smelled homages and clones of Rive Gauche, so I can’t say specifically what it smells like - but this is in the same vein as those - not a duplicate - but you get that shave cream vibe. Nice way to start the day.

Aidan and I built a Pin Ball machine yesterday as our STEAM project - so here it the finished effort:

1644239756611.jpeg1644239832114.jpeg

I actually took advantage of having Friday to myself - so I completed all the work I was going to do today on Friday - so that I could go to my meetings and not worry about all the deliverables due.

Have a great week my friends!

Solid weekend, nice! Have a great Monday Brian!
I’ve only smelled homages and clones of Rive Gauche, so I can’t say specifically what it smells like - but this is in the same vein as those - not a duplicate - but you get that shave cream vibe.
Sounds excellent 😎👍

Solid weekend, nice! Have a great Monday Brian!

Sounds excellent 😎👍
It is definitely I nice frag IMO - glad I picked it up. The ironic thing, the YT “influencer” that I watched to convince me that I should consider it - this particular style (Barbershop/Fougères) - is way out of his wheelhouse based on other vids I saw him - so I thought - wow - it must be good if he likes it. This guy also has his own shave Soap from Gentleman’s Nod/Zaharoff.

🏨🩹🚑🩺👨🏻‍⚕️ NURSE DAVE SHAVE

SOTD: 02/08/2022

1644325792306.jpeg

Razor: Tedalus Essence
Blade: Feather Pro Guard Artist Club, 4th use
Brush: Colorado Razor Designs Light & Dark Wood
Soap: Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Puck
Aftershave: Epsilon Scottish Spirit Aftershave
Additional Care: Quinn’s Lavender Witch Hazel

I just thought we should throw our favorite Cadre medical guru some love today - for all the things he brings to the Cadre: he keeps @BarberDave in check, he’s got more hobbies than Liberace had Rhinestones, and just an all around great guy!

So here’s to you Nurse Dave - I threw in all the things you love - My Colorado Razor Designs Brush, The Tedalus (of course) razor, Epsilon Scottish Spirit Aftershave (think Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods - but with Scotch), and of course his favorite soap of all time - Tabac. One of most luxurious soap bases on the market with a scent that is out of this world.

So here’s to you my friend! Hope your day is the most fantastic out there!

1644326750016.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back