The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Reasons why I mix my coffee with whiskey, my list of bodies I have buried in the woods, and other thoughts while shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, ain't there a formula in Excel for that?
There is indeed- =STDEV.P(RANGE) but when the VP doesn’t believe the results that he is seeing before his eyes (because the formula is so simple) - I had to expand out by hand what the formula was really doing - then write the long hand version of the excel formula to then demonstrate that the answers were the same. Yay😂

I think the problem was that while the data within that subset as a whole was within a “normal“ range - in this case we were discussing file sizes traversing a network - where most files were within 1000 Kbytes of each other, the issue was the the files that were the actual “deviants“ were so large outside the norm (several 10s of KB) that the standard deviation looked out of whack. Over a population of over 30,000 messages to prove that the load would not impact the network either in a burst or over time.

Also add to the fact that the PM (who is not a techie) - couldn’t understand that when converting from bytes to KB to MB is not by factors of 1000 but rather 1024 because data in in binary.

Also add to the fact that the PM (who is not a techie) - couldn’t understand that when converting from bytes to KB to MB is not by factors of 1000 but rather 1024 because data in in binary.
Actually, this is not entirely correct. It depends on the document in question. I worked for several tech companies (some with 3-letter names) and the marketing and sales shiny papers used 1,000. Only the technical documents used 1024. So depending what document you are converting (eg. what's the cost per GB from a sale), you need to pick the right multiplier.

Actually, this is not entirely correct. It depends on the document in question. I worked for several tech companies (some with 3-letter names) and the marketing and sales shiny papers used 1,000. Only the technical documents used 1024. So depending what document you are converting (eg. what's the cost per GB from a sale), you need to pick the right multiplier.
You are correct sir - but in this instance was proving the system would not be overloaded and that system processes in binary - the 1024 is the more accurate of the two. Granted, when it comes to system load the differences are minute - but the VP insists on accuracy. My problem was having to show the formulas which included the 1024 which derailed the convo.

1643747986668.jpeg

Ah, so the techie side of the project, not the budget/costing side. If companies are still managing at the KB/MB level for capacity planning (no matter if zOS, WIN, SUN, AIX, etc.... ), then their infrastructure is undersized/underpowered. Having to micromanage at that level is a waste of time and energy. Yuck.

Ah, so the techie side of the project, not the budget/costing side. If companies are still managing at the KB/MB level for capacity planning (no matter if zOS, WIN, SUN, AIX, etc.... ), then their infrastructure is undersized/underpowered. Having to micromanage at that level is a waste of time and energy. Yuck.
I blame Canada just because 😄

And you are so right about the infrastructure - at the level we’re discussing - normally wouldn’t be an issue - but basically a level of quantity - if you are sending out bursts of data in messages that are Kb in size - no problem with today’s infrastructure, but if those 30,000 messages go out at once and all have a 10 Mb attachment (and there are limitations to throttling) - that’s where the concern was.

In my case - I understand where the VP was concerned - the St Dev was high, but I wish the PM could have given me back my time because it derailed the reason we were doing the exercise in the first place. Would have gladly called him during lunch to explain - but dems da breaks

Last edited:
SOTD: 02/02/2022

1643809537856.jpeg

Razor: Tatara Muramasa
Blade: Elios Inoxidable, 1st use
Brush: Yaqi Green Handle
Bowl: Walmart Soup Mug
Soap: Grooming Dept Boomer Puck
Aftershave: Unilever Brut Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Sego Balm
Additional Care: Calvin Klein Eternity for Men EdP
Additional Care: Grooming Dept Hydrating Gel

So I thought I was GenX but my kids call me a Boomer. I kicked them off my lawn. I have to admit - I remember this scent from when I was a kid and I’m sure I used it - but I only bought the soap because I thought the label was funny and then had to buy the AS at the pharmacy because it matched. At least it isn’t Lilac Vegetal. I do really like CK Eternity - which is funny - I remember the commercials but I never remember smelling it when I was younger - but…at that point in my life I was hitting the Drakkar Noir like a Mike Schmitt bat to a MLB baseball.

I fell off the wagon - I’ll post about that in the What are you anxiously waiting for when I’m feeling brave enough lol.

Have a fantastic day!

SOTD: 02/02/2022

View attachment 74775

Razor: Tatara Muramasa
Blade: Elios Inoxidable, 1st use
Brush: Yaqi Green Handle
Bowl: Walmart Soup Mug
Soap: Grooming Dept Boomer Puck
Aftershave: Unilever Brut Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Sego Balm
Additional Care: Calvin Klein Eternity for Men EdP
Additional Care: Grooming Dept Hydrating Gel

So I thought I was GenX but my kids call me a Boomer. I kicked them off my lawn. I have to admit - I remember this scent from when I was a kid and I’m sure I used it - but I only bought the soap because I thought the label was funny and then had to buy the AS at the pharmacy because it matched. At least it isn’t Lilac Vegetal. I do really like CK Eternity - which is funny - I remember the commercials but I never remember smelling it when I was younger - but…at that point in my life I was hitting the Drakkar Noir like a Mike Schmitt bat to a MLB baseball.

I fell off the wagon - I’ll post about that in the What are you anxiously waiting for when I’m feeling brave enough lol.

Have a fantastic day!
To infinity and beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back