The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Reasons why I mix my coffee with whiskey, my list of bodies I have buried in the woods, and other thoughts while shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, @NurseDave

Sung to Gloria Gaynor’s I Will Survive…….

At first I was afraid, I was petrified
Kept thinking I could never find the scent to make you satisfied
But then I spent so many nights thinking I smell great
But I won’t deviate……

So on my first attempt - I found this and I thought “Can it be this easy? Am I the Fragrance King on top of being the best Bingo King this land has ever seen?”

View attachment 71346

And then the price - the price - this was a steal!!! Why weren’t the influencers of YouTube Perfumerie raving about this obvious hidden gem.…….

Then I read the review of the one person that actually took the time to describe it.

View attachment 71340

Bless you Matthew…….You saved us from certain Stink-A-Tude!!!!!!

I continued my quest and came about this…….

View attachment 71341

And the notes, the notes my friend! They beckon us!

View attachment 71342

But this comes from a lab…..and while we are both from the scientific community - I’d be really ticked if you used this and you lost all your hair - giving you the super power of a perfectly spherical head - which until now - only I possess….. So could we end our quest so soon - I say NAY!!!!!

View attachment 71343

For the name of this Fragrance insults our intelligence - we don’t have to be told that it is Earl Gray…….and besides - my medical friend from the West Coast has been known not to sleep a lot and partakes of the EtOH from Scotland, he might confuse this with actual Earl Gray tea…..so we continue…….

And here we come to the end of the journey……..An Artisan that I have used and love their Batucada (you got it - citrus AND booze). But that is for me……This one is for you - Earl Gray and smokey notes!

View attachment 71345

Tea for Two! And you can share it with your wife - says right there in the Title - for Two - a sure crowd pleaser! And thus I have conquered my quest - a king dethroned but sure to return to glory…….

P.S. Barrister and Mann Cheshire is a fantastic Earl Gray - and if they ever go back to making frags of their normal staple scents - snatch it up!
Well, you’re on the right track. They seem to be Earl grey + something. You’re right, Cheshire is a great scent. I need that exact smell in an EdP.

OK, I found a razor that I need to put on my Dream Sheet……

View attachment 71386

The Rocnel 2020 Sailor Adjustable

View attachment 71387

And no…..even though it is available right now on the Rocnel site (though ironically the 2021 series is sold out) - I like this version the best of the past three years……even for my RAD - I have restraint…

Now if for some reason I find myself with $680 to spare (The wood box is $30 extra) - I might get this…
Dude, that looks like the Thor’s hammer of razors. The head is probably like 1.5 lbs.

OK, I found a razor that I need to put on my Dream Sheet……

View attachment 71386

The Rocnel 2020 Sailor Adjustable

View attachment 71387

And no…..even though it is available right now on the Rocnel site (though ironically the 2021 series is sold out) - I like this version the best of the past three years……even for my RAD - I have restraint…

Now if for some reason I find myself with $680 to spare (The wood box is $30 extra) - I might get this…
That thing is thick! Literally 😮

Now if for some reason I find myself with $680 to spare
I talked myself out of a $300 dollar razor not to long ago. The wife would freak if I paid that much for one. So much that I might be staying at my brother's house permanently! Besides...I would be halfway to the Berretta 1301 Automatic Shotgun that I want! (Emphasis for my Exchange buddy for nest year...🤪)

I talked myself out of a $300 dollar razor not to long ago. The wife would freak if I paid that much for one. So much that I might be staying at my brother's house permanently! Besides...I would be halfway to the Berretta 1301 Automatic Shotgun that I want! (Emphasis for my Exchange buddy for nest year...🤪)
That would be one dedicated Reindeer Buddy!

I’ve been going back and forth with Rocnel for several years - this is a gem of a razor - I know it is top notch quality, but there is no way on this Earth I could justify it, but I could save up for it - maybe set aside a little each month (I feel I’m talking to myself like I speak to my teenagers lol)……the good thing is that it is out of stock everywhere now - so can’t do an impulse buy lol! I know Wolfman Razors are considered the peak - and I get the appeal - but for me Rocnel has been it as far as design and quality.

Right now, I have my eyes on the Blutt Rasur BR-1. It is from Switzerland. I just love precision Stainless Steel. But even with that - which is much less than a Rocnel - I will clear some out of my den - I plan on selling my Karve and I have the Homelike Shaving Start Razor from Russia. I think between the two of them I can cover the cost of the Blutt.

I know I have a lot of soaps/AS - but when it comes to the razor side- I am much happier with my shaves now that I have downsized the den. Now that I really know what I like - style, comfort, etc. - I use all my favorites a lot more. But we’ll see…….I got a few scratch offs for Christmas stocking stuffers - maybe one of them has a Rocnel or a Blutt on it lol.

Last edited:
All caught up, good reads buddy!
@Luecke3262 - After the holidays - you and I need to check ourselves into a 12 Step Program……
Uhhh… you need to.. I don’t know what you’re talking about, but Iryna may agree if she knew more about my acquisition habits lol
1640616725677.gif
So I partake of my haggis - which to the local’s credit they were correct - an acquired taste……I then try to clean the taste out of my mouth by downing the Scotch
Dude YUCK, I like most foods including tons of foreign food, but haggis… organ meat has always been a tough sell for me… I’m with you Guinness is where it’s at!

All caught up, good reads buddy!

Uhhh… you need to.. I don’t know what you’re talking about, but Iryna may agree if she knew more about my acquisition habits lol
View attachment 71419

Dude YUCK, I like most foods including tons of foreign food, but haggis… organ meat has always been a tough sell for me… I’m with you Guinness is where it’s at!
1640617490138.png

And yes - Haggis was a rough attempt to experiencing the “culture.” Next time I’m in Scotland - I’m sticking with the Scotch.

Last edited:
Those Rocnel razors are beauties, but the weight of them (and price of course, difficulty in finding... keeps me away. Still a worthy acquisition for lovers of adjustable.
That Tatara you have also seems like a great one.
but I'm with you, I just don't really feel like I need any more razors atm. Just satisfied with what I have, I could only have the Smart Helix even and be 100% fine with that.

I was looking closely at the Blutt myself, but went with the Apollo Light instead, and my feeling is they are probably pretty close, and I'm happy with my choice, which is good of course.

Those Rocnel razors are beauties, but the weight of them (and price of course, difficulty in finding... keeps me away. Still a worthy acquisition for lovers of adjustable.
That Tatara you have also seems like a great one.
but I'm with you, I just don't really feel like I need any more razors atm. Just satisfied with what I have, I could only have the Smart Helix even and be 100% fine with that.

I was looking closely at the Blutt myself, but went with the Apollo Light instead, and my feeling is they are probably pretty close, and I'm happy with my choice, which is good of course
The Rocnel appeals to me for two reasons - the weight is a plus for me - I love heavy razors - that is one of the things that drew me to the Apollo - plus the design from the box to the razor itself. The other reason is that I absolutely love adjustable razors. Anything that has a high level of Engineering behind it Tatara is my fav - it is so smooth - I could use it as a daily driver.

I just spoke with the owner of Rocnel. So in order to get it - I would have to clear out some more…..either the Apollo or my REX Ambassador would have to be sold…..as much as I love the Apollo - I am leaning towards that. And as we both said, tailoring down the den is somewhat of a good thing- once you learn what you really like - then having less and using them more is a bonus.

OK, no shave today - but between balancing work and making sure that Aidan had a productive day - it was fun all around. Plus re-organizing (prioritizing?) the Shave Den.

So Aidan and I made soft pretzels from one of his STEAM kits. Plus we played with his magic rings that play different sounds on his phone based on the color they touch (works on any color or material) - pretty cool

1640657566489.jpeg

1640657601454.jpeg

1640657627805.jpeg

I’m willing to help. You give me a FaceTime tour and I’ll just grunt when I see stuff I want.
I’m almost to this point with everything…..

1640662236419.gif

We’re way beyond what it took to save for the Tatara and the Tedalus - back then I sold I think 11 razors - but I really wasn’t attached to any of them. But I keep telling myself after that first purge - I was much happier with less and I use the Tedalus and Tatara much more often.

I am thinking though - I may have gone overboard with the soaps and aftershaves this year (plus colognes) - Hoo Boy lol!

I’m almost to this point with everything…..

View attachment 71542

We’re way beyond what it took to save for the Tatara and the Tedalus - back then I sold I think 11 razors - but I really wasn’t attached to any of them. But I keep telling myself after that first purge - I was much happier with less and I use the Tedalus and Tatara much more often.

I am thinking though - I may have gone overboard with the soaps and aftershaves this year (plus colognes) - Hoo Boy lol!
I have a secondary plan though…….I’ve been paying attention to @Klinker ’s collection……he has it all…..so Plan B is for him to adopt me - then I get to use both the razors I want for free…….It’s a good trade-off. He gets a 51 year old son with a charming personality - I get to shave with the two razors I’ve lusting after 😂

SOTD: 12/28/2021

1640712088439.jpeg

Razor: REX Supply Company Ambassador
Blade: Derby Extra Premium, 1st use
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Christmas’21 Badger
Bowl: Walmart Soup Mug
Soap: Barrister & Mann Reserve Spice Puck
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Vegan Balm

Balancing out having Aidan home and work 😂. Doing urban Air today - always fun!

Had a great experience with a brush maker, Boti Brushes - made an order back in September - items haven’t moved since they cleared customs in October. I know their lost - because last point they show up in tracking was New Jersey - and no one stays in Jersey unless they have to 😂 Half my relatives are from West Orange or Rockaway. I know! - I kid my friends

Anyway, they are replacing the brushes and throwing in two more - so that was very nice of them.

Have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back