The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Reasons why I mix my coffee with whiskey, my list of bodies I have buried in the woods, and other thoughts while shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice shave! @HMan Cole…you’re not alone in your obscure TF find! Gonna have to look this one up 👍
I'll take you confusing me with Brian as a compliment. I've got Beau de Jour on my list too.

Opinions are pretty split on how it is now that it's a Signature line scent. Most agree it's close to the original at worst.
TBH, at what half the price, I don't know that I care that much. I've got Fougere Platine if I need to pull out my snob card. (Bought at 60% off)

I'll take you confusing me with Brian as a compliment. I've got Beau de Jour on my list too.

Opinions are pretty split on how it is now that it's a Signature line scent. Most agree it's close to the original at worst.
TBH, at what half the price, I don't know that I care that much. I've got Fougere Platine if I need to pull out my snob card. (Bought at 60% off)
No confusion! I was summoning you so you and Brian could commiserate together on the expensive glories of frangrancedom 😂

[1633036488476.jpeg

Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Feather Pro Guard Artist Club
Brush: Colorado Razor Designs Light & Dark Wood
Lather: Stirling Soap Sheep
Aftershave: H.Zone Essential Man 1930
Fragrance: Rochas Moustache EdT

Unique shave in that I used Hendrix Classics & Co Sophisticated Gentleman Essential oil with the shave soap. HC&C is marketing their essential oils for an end user money saving saving venture (yeah like saving money is possible in this hobby). Basically you can buy their unscented scent (or use on of your own favorite bases - like Stirling Sheep) and then use one of their essential oils - so you basically made one tub many different scents. The other benefit is that you control the scent strength- so if you have sensitive skin - use less and if you want to pound that scent home - fire away with more drops. The essential oil bottles come in 3 different sizes (2 ml (used here), 5 ml, or 1 oz). They offer between 30-40 different blends.

The one I used today - Sophisticated Gentleman- gives that old school gentleman’s cologne (notes: cedar, musk, amber and patchouli). It complimented well with my AS and EdT. The aftershave was based on Steve McQueen who you may or may not know wore Esau Sauvage. This is in the same family but by no means a dupe or clone (not that it would be bad if it was). Moustache is in the same famiky as well so I absolutely loved this shave.

I was watching Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. He was talking about Duck Stamps - how they are used as basically as a hunting permit, that they are huge collector’s items, and that there is a process to pick the art for the year‘s stamp. This brings in over a billion dollars towards conserving US wetlands. it has a lot of rules (government bureaucracy of course lol) - and just recently added a rule that there must be an homage to hunting in them - and apparently there are dynasties of artists who have won several times - but anyone can enter - so the show put in several entries (done by professional artists). I share some with you because I thought it was neat and well, because I thought it was really funny 😄

This one includes the video game Duck Hunt - meeting the hunting require but disqualified because it used numbers - I don’t make the rules 😆.

1633036267299.jpeg
Here’s one of ducks judging the duck stamps (the same numbers rule disqualified this one )

1633036342578.jpeg

And here’s one with a duck hunting a hunter who I turn is hunting another duck

1633036403097.jpeg

There were others - but they;d take too long to explain unless you watched the segment.

Have a great day!!

Last edited:
1633109982192.jpeg

Razor: Tatara Muramasa
Blade: Gillette Winner Platinum
Brush: PAA The Solar Flare
Pre-Shave: Ariana & Evans Slick Stick
Lather: Prohibition Style Sidecar
Aftershave: Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars
Additional Care: Aramis Havana EdT

A ‘winner” of a shave today - I truly love the Tatara- I haven’t found a blade that doesn’t work in it. I love the REX as well - but it’s the opposite- only the Derby tames it for me.

I chickened out with the soap - not that it is vegan based- but since it doesn’t appear to have lye in it and it - as Spider pointed out none listed in the ingredients - I wanted to make sure my face was protected. It lathers fine - but takes a little more work and is on the lighter suds side. It is serviceable- it does the job. But I really bought it for the scent. This soap here is again on the lighter side - as compared to the other Prohibition soap I bought - Corpse Reviver and the aftershave the Whiskey Sour - this soap scent is on the lighter side even upon lathering. Just like the others though - it is spot on for the drink. Notes are: cognac XO, lemon, sandalwood.

The H et V C&CC is one of my favorite scents, especially in cooler weather, and pairs perfectly with the soap. Notes are: Cedarwood, fresh leather, zesty lemon, cognac, and spicy tobacco.

I actually smell like I’ve been in a Speakeasy which has been pretty trendy in my neck of the woods for the past 5-6 years.

Finished off the experience with the Aramis classic Havana.

Hope everyone’s weekend is great!

I actually smell like I’ve been in a Speakeasy which has been pretty trendy in my neck of the woods for the past 5-6 years.
Brian knew the password... :cool:

giphy.gif

1633202394232.jpeg

Razor: REX Supply Co Ambassador
Blade: Gillette Nacet
Brush: PAA Phantom Aerolite
Lather: Squadron Six One Seven
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Weekend in Malibu
Additional Care: Bentley For Men Azure EdT

Hodgepodge of shaving items just trying to get the scent notes to match or harmonize. The EdT compliments but not really a match but it is the beginning of fall - I wanted to wear this one.

my Phils close out with a winning season and 10 straight years of making the playoffs. Time to get excited about hockey ! Penn State plays the Hoosiers who are dangerous.

have a great weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back