The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Reasons why I mix my coffee with whiskey, my list of bodies I have buried in the woods, and other thoughts while shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOTD: 02/14/2023

1676386693843.jpeg

Razor: Morris-Flamingo MFG Co. Red Imp 133
Brush: Duke City Vintage Crimson Two Band Badger
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary Red Mug
Preshave: Razor Emporium Pre-Shave Soap
Soap: Victory Shaving Company Champaign Lady Puck
Aftershave: Barrister & Mann Patches Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Vegan Balm
Additional Care: Zingari Man Rescue Potion
Fragrance: Alfred Dunhill Icon Racing Red EdP

Trying to do a Valentine’s Day shave is difficult when you don’t have any love themed labels - so I decided to go with Champagne and Strawberries for scents and my favorite color - crimson. And I love all my fellow shavers here at the TSC - you’ll always have a special place in my heart……and so this is a shout out to two of you - this razor is my first vintage I’ve purchased - upon a recommendation by @Luecke3262 -so we’ll call this ‘Lauded by Luecke™’ and of course the blade was super curved honed by none other than @Bill M for now on - ‘Biconvex Blade by Bill®’ . Since our good @BarberDave influenced me to start straight razor shaving before I even joined the TSC - and I watched all his lesson videos on the subject - but I was hard-pressed to do patent-pending © for him - I couldn’t come up with an alliteration for AF Weinie - barber just doesn’t roll off the tongue. More’s the pity.

Anyway - for those celebrating with their loved ones today - Happy Valentines Day - and for those that don’t like today - here’s some fun facts - there was more than one St. Valentines - 12 saints were named Valentine - and one of them was martyred (he lost his head for love) - so just remember when you’re having a bad love day - at least one person had a worse day than you. And this Hallmark Cash Windfall holiday attributed to “The” St Valentine - could have been a conglomeration of two people - So it’s like us having Two Silver Surfers or many Green Lanterns - so you’re going to have to pick a side.

Also know, whoever this dude is - He is also the patron saint of beekeepers, epilepsy, plague (where was he two years ago???), fainting (NOT FARTING - sorry @Majorrich) and travelling.

Anyways, Love you guys - have a great day!

Last edited:
here’s some fun facts - there was more than one St. Valentines - 12 saints were named Valentine - and one of them was martyred (he lost his head for love) - so just remember when you’re having a bad love day - at least one person had worse days than you.
That’s very important to know. I’ll have to use that one as a “look in the bright side” the next time I forget it’s Valentine’s Day.

SOTD: 02/15/2023

1676492340247.jpeg

Razor: Yates Precision 921 Custom
Blade: Gillette Nacet, 4th use
Brush: Razor Emporium Blue & Gold Best Badger
Bowl: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Moonscape Brush Scuttle
Soap: Lather Bros Est 1792 Puck
Aftershave: 4711 Original EdC Aftershave
Balm: Soap Commander Inspiration Balm
Fragrance: 4711 Original EdC

A nod to one of the OG’s in men’s grooming 4711. Not much else to say - classic, citrus forward scent using one of my favorite razors. Could only have gotten better if I had pulled out the Tabac.

Found out today that my new Rockwell T2 Stainless Steel can’t be replated so bummer. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, not a biggie, but thought it would be cool to get a nice 24k Gold finish on it. Turns out, that it isn’t fully stainless steel, and since at least one of the major components it both brass and plastic, it would make it too difficult to try and get those pieces apart. Since Steel and Brass require two different treatments to plate, it was a no go at this station. C’est la vie.

So I’m removing my Rockwell T2 Stainless Steel from it’s position of honor in the top row of my Keynote presentation that tracks all my shaving equipment - to the place of shame next to my invisible Occam’s Razor.

1676493079603.png

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Last edited:
Found out today that my new Rockwell T2 Stainless Steel can’t be replated so bummer. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, not a biggie, but thought it would be cool to get a nice 24k Gold finish on it. Turns out, that it isn’t fully stainless steel, and since at least one of the major components it both brass and plastic, it would make it too difficult to try and get those pieces apart. Since Steel and Brass require two different treatments to plate, it was a no go at this station. C’est la vie.

So I’m removing my Rockwell T2 Stainless Steel from it’s position of honor in the top row of my Keynote presentation that tracks all my shaving equipment - to the place of shame next to my invisible Occam’s Razor.
#FirstWorldProblems

giphy.gif

;)😁

Turns out, that it isn’t fully stainless steel, and since at least one of the major components it both brass and plastic, it would make it too difficult to try and get those pieces apart. Since Steel and Brass require two different treatments to plate, it was a no go at this station. C’est la vie.
Wasn’t that the exact same issue hey had with the original? They found out they had to cast some of the parts in cheaper or mixed metals because fully dauntless didn’t work or was too expensive?

Wasn’t that the exact same issue hey had with the original? They found out they had to cast some of the parts in cheaper or mixed metals because fully dauntless didn’t work or was too expensive?
Yup - which is what bums me out - they crowdsourced the Model T as a Stainless Steel, identified that it couldn’t be done cost effectively so they did a mixed metal. Version 2 was the T2 - they kept the mixed metal modality - nothing wrong with that - both of those were good shavers and well received. But they marketed this as a fully stainless steel and have it at an all stainless pricepoint. To find out that there are parts other than stainless irritates in that (1) I wouldn’t have purchased it if I had known - there is nothing on the website to indicate this and (2) if you are looking for a modern TTO - then go with the other T2 - which is about $100 cheaper.

SOTD: 02/16/2023

1676580884862.jpeg

Razor: Rocnel Sailor
Blade: Gillette Nacet, 4th use
Brush: Chisel & Hound Molten Manchurian Badger
Bowl: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Moonscape Brush Scuttle
Soap: Noble Otter Hamami Puck
Aftershave: Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Sego Balm
Fragrance: Creed Tabarome Millésime EdP

It’s Tobacco Thursday…..ok Tobacco Tuesday would have been better for the alliteration but I didn’t think that far ahead - and I wanted to use the Tabarome today. Dig this frag!

It’s been a hell of a day - started out a chaos and triple booked meetings - but it is ending well in that a very good person I have worked with in the past has the opportunity for her dream job - so that makes it worth it.

Not much else going on - so I wish everyone the bestest evening!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back