The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Reasons why I mix my coffee with whiskey, my list of bodies I have buried in the woods, and other thoughts while shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice! The Black Panther is kewl beanz!
It was hard to capture on the camera - but the details on the claws were fantastic. It was just above freezing today - so a little melting. But it was really neat - betwen 20-30 sculptures. Some of the cool ones were the ones that were an homage to the restaurant they were in front of - there was even one with real beer taps in it 😂

Great sculptures! Glad the town is making good use of the cold weather
I wish we had made the event when they were making them - we had another engagement but I’m glad we got to see them today!

Last edited:
SOTD: 02/06/2023

1675695212951.jpeg

Razor: Homelike Shaving Taiga
Blade: Gillette 7 O’Clock SharpEdge (Yellow), 1st use
Brush: Stirling Soap Finest Badger Butterscotch
Bowl: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Moonscape Brush Scuttle
Preshave: Ariana & Evans Slick Stick Soap
Soap: Declaration Grooming 88 Chestnut St Puck
Aftershave: Declaration Grooming 88 Chestnut St Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Vegan Balm
Additional Care: Zingari Man Hydration Potion
Fragrance: Penhaligons Sartorial EdT

Just a typical citrusy green Monday my friends. The soap and AS are a collaboration with Chantillon Lux 88 Chesnut street - when it was first released it was called Fourth & Pine. Why all the street names - the frag was inspired by Farina Original Eau de Cologne - and the address is the original location of Clamorgans - where that fragrance would have first been sold in America. Little history for you, even if you didn’t need or want it 😂. Anyway - great scent - in the same family IMO of 4711 - a little deeper - the notes: neroli, lemon, grapefruit, yuzu, orange, petitgrain, lavender, jasmine, geranium, vetiver, and tonka bean. Finished off with one of my favorite barber shop scents - just because.

Off to the races at work - lots of paperwork to catch up on.

I have just one question from my walk with Aidan and his aide yesterday……is it just me or are the silhouettes depicting a couple of kids pushing the adult off the boat?

1675695803484.jpeg

Have a great start to your week my friends - stay on the boat or at least wear a life jacket.

SOTD: 02/06/2023

View attachment 104472

Razor: Homelike Shaving Taiga
Blade: Gillette 7 O’Clock SharpEdge (Yellow), 1st use
Brush: Stirling Soap Finest Badger Butterscotch
Bowl: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Moonscape Brush Scuttle
Preshave: Ariana & Evans Slick Stick Soap
Soap: Declaration Grooming 88 Chestnut St Puck
Aftershave: Declaration Grooming 88 Chestnut St Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Vegan Balm
Additional Care: Zingari Man Hydration Potion
Fragrance: Penhaligons Sartorial EdT

Just a typical citrusy green Monday my friends. The soap and AS are a collaboration with Chantillon Lux 88 Chesnut street - when it was first released it was called Fourth & Pine. Why all the street names - the frag was inspired by Farina Original Eau de Cologne - and the address is the original location of Clamorgans - where that fragrance would have first been sold in America. Little history for you, even if you didn’t need or want it 😂. Anyway - great scent - in the same family IMO of 4711 - a little deeper - the notes: neroli, lemon, grapefruit, yuzu, orange, petitgrain, lavender, jasmine, geranium, vetiver, and tonka bean. Finished off with one of my favorite barber shop scents - just because.

Off to the races at work - lots of paperwork to catch up on.

I have just one question from my walk with Aidan and his aide yesterday……is it just me or are the silhouettes depicting a couple of kids pushing the adult off the boat?

View attachment 104478

Have a great start to your week my friends - stay on the boat or at least wear a life jacket.
Gotta watch out for those evil kids...

giphy.gif

Great shave! That soap / splash scent sounds wonderful!

She’s much more efficient (and a lot less messy) than I am shaving! She reminds me of another lady that she and her husband do vids for one of the soap resellers (though she does more) - and for Halloween - she had been dressing up as characters from her soap labels. And to boot - she was from Philly 😂

You ain’t bougie (boo-Jay) if it ain’t foo-jay.

In the world where Google translate will literally pronounce any word in any language for you from your web browser, I don’t get the horrible French pronunciations that so many YT’bers insist on using.
I see (and hear) that a lot when I watch some of the frag reviewers - there are a few words that always seem to trip them up like Chypre…..or Eau Fraiche.

SOTD: 02/07/2023

1675779203633.jpeg

Razor: Aylsworth Drakkant (Open Comb)
Blade: Gillette 7 O’Clock SharpEdge (Yellow), 2nd use
Brush: AP Shave Co Semi-Transparent Yellow
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary Red Mug
Preshave: Razor Emporium Pre-Shave Soap
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Gael Laoch Orange Puck
Aftershave: Murphy & McNeil Gael Laoch Aftershave
Balm: Soap Commander Charisma Balm
Additional Care: Zingari Man Rescue Potion
Fragrance: Creed Viking Cologne EdT

A mighty Yalp! It’s a Viking day today- I love the original and I dig this one as well. M&M did a great job on it. Hey - you can’t go wrong with a citrus top note is what they always tell me (the voices in my head).

I decided to get a few Tom Ford cologne 10 ml decants - I know I should just pull the trigger on Beau de Jour. The dupe I have from Oakcha is so like it though - that was the reason I hadn’t. But the BdJ dry down is what sells it - can’t mimic that. The Rive D’Ambre looks to be discontinued - but still available at sky high prices. 345 Soap just did an homage - and so I got a 10ml of the real thing to see how it goes. I really do like it, but I go nose blind to it so fast - or it doesn’t do well on my skin - so if it were BdJ prices, I could see me getting it - but at above Creed prices…yikes.

I hope everyone has a most fantastic day today!

Is there a big difference between the Viking Cologne and EdP. Not a fan of the EdP and have thought about getting a sample of the cologne. But if it's similar to the other, i wont bother.

Is there a big difference between the Viking Cologne and EdP. Not a fan of the EdP and have thought about getting a sample of the cologne. But if it's similar to the other, i wont bother.

I‘d say that Viking Cologne is a lot more approachable….Cologne is a lot brighter throughout and more citrusy at the top. Cologne removes the spicy elements and does not have the minty absinthe or rose notes. The only similarities between the two are in the base - so the dry down is the only place where you go - oh yeah - that’s how they are related. But even in the dry down, with Viking I still get that spiciness and the mint, where as the Cologne just has the woody and vetiver - and a light less in your face.

I am a fan of both, but I’d have to say (and you know this pains me to say this) - this is a try before you buy type of thing. The reason is that I really like both and I’m trying to be objective…….for the price, I would expect to be wow‘d and I’m not sure Viking Cologne has the umph to say it is heads & tails above other citrusy colognes on the market. M&M does sell an EdT and a solid that are pretty spot on. I can say they are different enough to have both, but if you didn’t like the original - I’m not sure this is such a deviation that you’d go I’m sold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back