The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Reasons why I mix my coffee with whiskey, my list of bodies I have buried in the woods, and other thoughts while shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I go glycerin, Mama Bear is my soap of choice, with Col.Conk#2. Even though Sue no longer owns the company (sold a few years ago), the new* owners follow the same formulae.
Glycerin based I find is a little drying - but I counter that with a preshave usually - when I pick out scents it is usually based on scent first - then bitchin’ art work on the label - I figure I can always repair a soap base with other prep……but it should be noted that my last two shaves were glycerin based - what I like about it is that they tend to hold their fragrance longer.

Mama Bear had an amazing variety of scents. The only complaint with her products was sometimes the scents were too strong and people reacted.
Agreed….but if you could smell the wonder whiskey and cream - it’s like adding Carolan‘s Irish Cream (I prefer over Bailey’s since Carolan uses honey instead of sugar)……to your shave! You want it strong baby! But I know that would you require to sleep at a Motel 6 - -so because you’re such a good friend - I’ll wear double in honor of you.

SOTD: 01/27/2023

View attachment 103570

Razor: Karve Overlander (Stainless Steel)
Blade: Gillette 7 O’Clock SharpEdge (Yellow), 3rd use
Brush: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Amber Aerolite
Bowl: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Moonscape Brush Scuttle
Preshave: Razor Emporium Pre-Shave Soap
Soap: Mama Bear Soaps Whiskey Cream Puck
Aftershave: Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods Aftershave
Balm: Mama Bear Soaps Whiskey Cream Balm
Additional Care: Zingari Man Rescue Potion
Fragrance: Mugler A*Men Pure Malt EdT

This is one of the best wake up in the morning on a cold day scents - like Irish Cream in your coffee -just fantastic (Though I think for accuracy - Mama lists Kentucky Bourbon as the whiskey) - there is a slight note of chocolate as well. Really dig this one. And we had a few flurries yesterday - but nothing left but the chill this AM. The AS and cologne complete the booziness - so hopefully I don’t get pulled over because no one is going to believe me that I haven’t been drinking. The razor is “new” in that it is brand new - but the shaving experience isn’t new in that I have the brass model as well - and now Karve came out with a Stainless Steel version - which is my metal of choice - and it also allowed me to take my buffing machine out. So a win everywhere!

Also took the Pappy & Co Bourbon Barrel Aged Coffee out for a spin. MarkB has been hooked on this stuff.

View attachment 103572

Great way to start the morning. I’m thinking when I done with this bag (which I’m sure knowing me - will be next week) - I’ll try some Irish Whiskey Barrel aged coffee and see what notes the coffee picks up. Just won’t do any Scotch Aged - that’s just crazy talk. If I wanted to taste that in my coffee - I’d stick my old sneakers in some hot water.
I’m so glad that we allow those folks of little or no taste to be members here on The Cadre

Sorry I forgot whom I was talking too
Clear, brown, thin, alcoholic liquids with the words
“Bourbon”
“Irish Whiskey”
Or Tennessee on the label🤣🤣

I never looked at it that way. All things considered, I like a soap that works well on its own.
I see your point my friend- I don’t think I’d spend $100 on a subpar soap - but if it’s more affordable - I limit my expectations on performance if it provides other bennies

SOTD: 01/28/2023

1674914097688.jpeg

Razor: Yates Precision 921 Custom
Blade: Gillette Nacet, 5th use
Brush: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Amber Aerolite
Bowl: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Moonscape Brush Scuttle
Preshave: Razor Emporium Pre-Shave Soap
Soap: Crowne & Crane Cabana Puck
Aftershave: Hemingway Accoutrements Aftershave Tonic Aftershave
Balm: Mama Bear Soaps Whiskey Cream Balm
Additional Care: Zingari Man Rescue Potion
Fragrance: Barberry Coast Finca Vigía EdP

Keeping in the nice sweet tobacco theme for the soap - C&C is a gem. The Hemingway Accoutrements AS is a fun scent - really like it - slight little whiskey booziness - just dig it. The cologne is the the same scent as the AS. Long story short - Barberry Coast owns Hemingway Accoutrements and so this scent is carried over from there. Fantastic job! And I really love the PA represents with the Yates razor - they did a fantastic job. PA in the house as I think the kids would say! Not NJ.

Suns out - so looking forward to some time outside - have a wonderful day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back