The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Reasons why I mix my coffee with whiskey, my list of bodies I have buried in the woods, and other thoughts while shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t see that Creed mentioned often! Sounds great!
I was watching some fragger on YT (not a teeny bopper 😂) - It was this guy who has a channel on style - former Marine - that has now delved into the fragrance world - and he was telling the lore behind it (and admittedly the lore is not true) - but harkened back to the days of Churchill which piqued my interest (this frag is from 2000 so that’s why the lore isn’t true - but does play a role in its creation)… since the top (you don’t see tangerine used a a top citrus often) and middle notes (ginger) really appealed to me and the tobacco note at the base did interest me - did some research - it got some good reviews but all came with a warning to not blind buy - which I ignored and it all worked out 😂 Happy Ever after.

Last edited:
What show is this?
Band of Brothers - great series (on HBO, but you can also rent/buy on Amazon) - it‘s about E Company, 501st Infantry (101st Airborne) - from Airborne training through the end of WWII - true story - one of the main characters, the Company Commander (and eventually Battalion Commander) settled down in Hershey, PA.

SOTD: 01/26/2023

1674742552295.jpeg

Razor: Yates Precision 921 Custom
Blade: Gillette Nacet, 4th use
Brush: Chisel & Hound Molten Manchurian Badger
Bowl: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Moonscape Brush Scuttle
Preshave: Razor Emporium Pre-Shave Soap
Soap: Barberry Coast Shave Co Havana Puck
Aftershave: Barberry Coast Shave Company Havana Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Sego Balm
Additional Care: Zingari Man Rescue Potion
Fragrance: Barberry Coast Havana EdP

Had to take the new razor for a spin - and wow - great shaver! I dig having a razor that is monogrammed as well. I was going to have a neat little picture engraved - but unfortunately with the concave on the top of the cap - didn’t work out - so monogram is the next best thing IMO. Also cool is that it is made in Pennsylvania - the Keystone State which is actually a commonwealth, but we’re splitting hairs….tangent stopped. The important thing is that it is not New Jersey @BarberDave 😂 It’s really a great shaver - smooth and efficient. This particular base is a hybrid - open comb on one end and straight bar on the other and you can tell the difference on efficiencies of the two sides.

The Havana soap, AS, and cologne were bangers - I had considered this a summery scent - but took a look at the notes again - and it has some darker components - with a chocolate note. Has a nice sweetness and an awesome tobacco note that isn’t overpowering. If Aramis Havana is the dark, smoking the cigar (which I have as well), this is the just smelling the cigar before you light it with a nice sweetness note and an impression of a boozy rum. Well done.

Well off to the grindstone - have a wonderful day everyone!

Last edited:
The razor looks great! The duo tone is fun…will you keep it polished or let the brass patina?
Thanks my friend - I thought the dual tone is cool too. I can’t take credit though- I saw a few other shavers on YT do it as well. I think I’ll keep it polished - I like the brushed or machined look - so probably won’t hit it with my buffing machine - so I’ve got a couple of polishing rags to do the trick.

Have a fantastic day my friend!

Had to take the new razor for a spin
I wonder how many times I've read this on your page?
If Aramis Havana is the dark, smoking the cigar (which I have as well*), this is the just smelling the cigar before you light it with a nice sweetness note and an impression of a boozy rum.
*Brian, this phrase is likely superfluous. I believe most, if not all, readers will assume this.

SOTD: 01/27/2023

1674824000871.gif

Razor: Karve Overlander (Stainless Steel)
Blade: Gillette 7 O’Clock SharpEdge (Yellow), 3rd use
Brush: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Amber Aerolite
Bowl: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Moonscape Brush Scuttle
Preshave: Razor Emporium Pre-Shave Soap
Soap: Mama Bear Soaps Whiskey Cream Puck
Aftershave: Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods Aftershave
Balm: Mama Bear Soaps Whiskey Cream Balm
Additional Care: Zingari Man Rescue Potion
Fragrance: Mugler A*Men Pure Malt EdT

This is one of the best wake up in the morning on a cold day scents - like Irish Cream in your coffee -just fantastic (Though I think for accuracy - Mama lists Kentucky Bourbon as the whiskey) - there is a slight note of chocolate as well. Really dig this one. And we had a few flurries yesterday - but nothing left but the chill this AM. The AS and cologne complete the booziness - so hopefully I don’t get pulled over because no one is going to believe me that I haven’t been drinking. The razor is “new” in that it is brand new - but the shaving experience isn’t new in that I have the brass model as well - and now Karve came out with a Stainless Steel version - which is my metal of choice - and it also allowed me to take my buffing machine out. So a win everywhere!

Also took the Pappy & Co Bourbon Barrel Aged Coffee out for a spin. MarkB has been hooked on this stuff.

1674824473326.gif

Great way to start the morning. I’m thinking when I done with this bag (which I’m sure knowing me - will be next week) - I’ll try some Irish Whiskey Barrel aged coffee and see what notes the coffee picks up. Just won’t do any Scotch Aged - that’s just crazy talk. If I wanted to taste that in my coffee - I’d stick my old sneakers in some hot water.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back