The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Reasons why I mix my coffee with whiskey, my list of bodies I have buried in the woods, and other thoughts while shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
They built a practice field on the Southside (Mon River side) that they've used for several years.
And training camp remains at St Vincent College in Latrobe PA, about 45 minutes from here. The Rooney family are devout Catholics, and fiercely loyal to their long term partners. They are deeply involved with Catholic schools, colleges, universities, and charities around town. One of the benefits of being a Steelers fan is that by default you become a Rooney fan as well. It's not a bad deal to root for this Irish clan, as they do a lot of good in their football endeavors. They are not saints: they remain in the horse racing business, and there is a persistent story that Art Rooney Sr., the cigar-chomping patriarch, bought the team in 1933 after winning big at the track.

And training camp remains at St Vincent College in Latrobe PA, about 45 minutes from here. The Rooney family are devout Catholics, and fiercely loyal to their long term partners. They are deeply involved with Catholic schools, colleges, universities, and charities around town. One of the benefits of being a Steelers fan is that by default you become a Rooney fan as well. It's not a bad deal to root for this Irish clan, as they do a lot of good in their football endeavors. They are not saints: they remain in the horse racing business, and there is a persistent story that Art Rooney Sr., the cigar-chomping patriarch, bought the team in 1933 after winning big at the track.
And they rode that horse to 6 Super Bowl wins!

SOTD: 12/18/2022

1671381389761.jpeg

Razor: Bartmann 5/8” Primo (Friday)
Brush: Oumo Brush Pandora Starlight
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary White Mug
Soap: Wet The Face Silent Night Croap
Aftershave: Oleo Soapworks Classic Clean Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Vegan Balm
Additional Care: Zingari Man Rescue Potion
Fragrance: Prada Amber Pour Homme EdT

Well to think a year has past and I’ve gotten frugal…….basically the same shave about a year later - but just a different razor and different cologne. Other than that last year was much more creative - but since the app I was using changed to a subscription service - it is now $50 year. Now I am all for paying people for the work they do - I do not think apps should be free - but I can say that making some special effects on some photos is not worth $50 to me - repeating….I can see a one time cost and I’d consider - but they haven’t added any other effects from last year - so there. More money for shaving gear - because we can all use a little shaving gear in our lives.

Here’s the pic from last year though:

1671381653863.gif

Of the Prada “soapy“ line - the Amber Pour Homme is my favorite. So I am enjoying it very much. Clean and fresh. And the Oleo Classic Clean is a surprise nice one as well - It has tobacco and honey in the notes and somehow pulls off clean. Good job.

Aidan and I went for a walk yesterday along the river and ran into these folks. No standard hug or handshake from Aidan - he just high-fived them and moved on to his walk. Maybe he knows something I don’t 😂

1671381858647.jpeg

We’ve been invited to an Elks Club Holiday Party - so we’re off to that and looking forward to the Zoom tonight! Have a fantastic day everyone!

SOTD: 12/19/2022

1671461790155.jpeg

Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Feather Pro Guard Artist Club, 1st use
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Christmas’21 Badger
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary Red Mug
Soap: Stirling Soap Candy Cane Puck
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Candy Cane Aftershave
Balm: Stirling Soap Candy Cane Lotion
Fragrance: Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male EdT

I promise you, though I probably will have difficulty convincing everyone, I did not buy this version of Le Male just for the Christmas snow globe. Actually - when I did buy it from one of the discount sites - this one - and the one with the ugly Christmas sweater were actually cheaper than just buying the Plain Jane bottle - go figure. But not all good things come without a cost. In the process of finding this snow globe container - I pulled down all the shaving, cologne, AS, and technology boxes (yes I save almost everyone one)….down on my head. So now my closet looks like Zooboomafoo or for those that don’t have kids that watched PBS - the So I Married an Axe Murderer Closet Scene. So I know what I am doing over the holiday 😂

1671462320712.gif 1671462353570.jpeg

So everyone have a most wonderful start to their week!

Good to know I’m not the only person that’s hung onto an old iPhone and box for 10+ years 😉🤫
I think it has come in handy only twice (if you count this one in that- and I’m wavering on how useful today was 😂) - the other was when my son Jack needed a new wallet and I had saved this $700 Louis Vuitton leather wallet that I had won during a Christmas party. Maybe it is time to junk them - but I think it will save time just reboxing the boxes rather than breaking them down and putting them in the recycling. Until I fill the entire closet 😂

SOTD: 12/19/2022

View attachment 100820

Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Feather Pro Guard Artist Club, 1st use
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Christmas’21 Badger
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary Red Mug
Soap: Stirling Soap Candy Cane Puck
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Candy Cane Aftershave
Balm: Stirling Soap Candy Cane Lotion
Fragrance: Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male EdT

I promise you, though I probably will have difficulty convincing everyone, I did not buy this version of Le Male just for the Christmas snow globe. Actually - when I did buy it from one of the discount sites - this one - and the one with the ugly Christmas sweater were actually cheaper than just buying the Plain Jane bottle - go figure. But not all good things come without a cost. In the process of finding this snow globe container - I pulled down all the shaving, cologne, AS, and technology boxes (yes I save almost everyone one)….down on my head. So now my closet looks like Zooboomafoo or for those that don’t have kids that watched PBS - the So I Married an Axe Murderer Closet Scene. So I know what I am doing over the holiday 😂

View attachment 100821 View attachment 100822

So everyone have a most wonderful start to their week!
See how much that frugality costs in the long run!

SOTD: 12/21/2022

1671671498277.jpeg

Razor: Focus Tritok Slant R63
Blade: Bolzano Superinox Inossidabile, 5th use
Brush: Oumo Brush Golden Age Ebony Badger
Soap: Tcheon Fung Sing Assoluto 72 Primavere Puck
Aftershave: Tcheon Fung Sing Assoluto 72 Primavere Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Sego Balm
Fragrance: Chanel Bleu de Chanel Extrait

Fancy schmancy shave today - all uptown scents……I bought the AS a while ago - and thought it was a banger….but it reminded me of something, I just couldn‘t put my finger on it. It matches well with Mont Blanc Explorer - so I imagine it would pair well with Creed Aventus. I had just left it at that. So I finally bought the soap and then looked at the notes and ironically it does actually match up note wise with the BDC Parfum - just as happenstance would have it - not planned and I hadn’t even thought of matching them up. I went back and forth with the AS, BDC, and Explorer and they all stand on their own but they all have the same familiarity.

The razor is from Italy - really dig it. The only thing I don’t like about it is on the handle there are pronounced laser engraving with the name and “Made in Italy.” I’m ok with it on the top cap (though I prefer it not - I just like it on the underneath the baseplate). Given the high price of this - IMO sorta has a cheaper look. But hey, if you take the picture fro the other side - you don’t see it - Problem solved 😂. It has one of the smallest DE heads I’ve ever used - especially for a slant. From the manufacturer‘s site - I would have expected the slant to be the most aggressive - but everyone I’ve seen on YT that have used all three razors in the series (there is a flat top, a concave, and this slant)……all have stated that the concave is actually the aggressive one.

Nothing much today other than I made the HVAC people company happy - apparently they had two people call in sick and they were jumping through hoops to reschedule people. One of the joys of working from home is that hey - come any day - no biggie to me.

Have a great evening everyone!

SOTD: 12/22/2022

1671723185909.jpeg

Razor: Focus Tritok Slant R63
Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super Extra, 1st use
Brush: Yaqi Mysterious Space
Soap: Maestro Miche Moonlight Serenade Puck
Aftershave: Clubman Reserve Gent’s Gin Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Sego Balm
Additional Care: Zingari Man Hydration Potion
Fragrance: Giorgio Armani Eau Pour Homme EdT

Little bit of a mish mosh shave today - nothing matches 😂. But the scents are wonderful for all - so it is all good.

Had to take the new razor out for another spin. This razor is not just mild for a slant - it is really mild. I think some of it is that it has a very small sweet spot - and last night I used a Bolzano which is a mild blade (thinking it was needed for the a slant)…..Today’s Wizamet brought it more on the neutral side. Great razor overall.

Have a fantastic day today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back