The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Reasons why I mix my coffee with whiskey, my list of bodies I have buried in the woods, and other thoughts while shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
You besmirch the West Coast at your own peril, pal.

**picks up West Coast headquarters hotline**

"yes, its Agent Heysi....... I need to put in a disciplinary request for one @Scuttlesoap. Seems he never wants to be in the company of any of the World-Famous California Girls...again......yes I know that's a harsh punishment....but he did try to insist that the state of Pennsylvania is better than anything we have on the West Coast........yes....he really said that. Oh...that should be punishable with a much worst penalty? Oh....well, he's still a nice guy....just a bit misguided and mistaken......lets just give him the No-Girls punishment for now. Maybe that will correct his errant ways."

**click**

I tried to warn you.

You besmirch the West Coast at your own peril, pal.

**picks up West Coast headquarters hotline**

"yes, its Agent Heysi....... I need to put in a disciplinary request for one @Scuttlesoap. Seems he never wants to be in the company of any of the World-Famous California Girls...again......yes I know that's a harsh punishment....but he did try to insist that the state of Pennsylvania is better than anything we have on the West Coast........yes....he really said that. Oh...that should be punishable with a much worst penalty? Oh....well, he's still a nice guy....just a bit misguided and mistaken......lets just give him the No-Girls punishment for now. Maybe that will correct his errant ways."

**click**

I tried to warn you.
I read that in Terence Stamp’s voice from the Adjustment Bureau - when his character from The Adjustment Bureau “When you look back at all this David. Just remember, we tried to reason with you.”

😂

SOTD: 12/13/2022

1670943689331.jpeg

Razor: Aylsworth Drakkant (Open Comb)
Blade: Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Platinum (Black), 2nd use
Brush: Chisel & Hound Backdraft Fanchurian Badger
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary Red Mug
Soap: Strike Gold Shave Fireside Chat Puck
Aftershave: Strike Gold Shave Fireside Chat Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Sego Balm
Additional Care: Zingari Man Rescue Potion
Fragrance: Maison Margiela Replica By the Fireplace EdT

Little brisk outside - when I woke up this morning - Carrot Weather Informed me in an abrupt way that was -2°C…….now we’re talking! So I know I posted with this soap recently - but hey - it seemed appropriate for today. And it meets the good nurse’s and gear boy’s criteria for deep notes of a sweet burning fireplace with chestnuts roasting. Not marshmallows, chestnuts. I mean if you get marshmallows when you sniff this frag, I not only question your frag sense, quite frankly, I question your humanity. Not that there was more than one shaver on this site that thought this reminded them of that gooey white stuff.

1670944153217.gif

I mean, the Ghostbusters taught us that this is what happens when marshmallow comes in contact with heat.

1670944261494.gif

I mean Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, Harry Connick Jr All did renditions of the Christmas Song which tells us that chestnuts (not marshmallows) are roasting on an open fire.

But there is good news from all this insanity…….the cold weather (and the fact that the kids school district started testing today their inclimate weather system) can only mean that there is a possibility of a white Christmas. So on that note…..here are some notes from the greatest rock band to ever grace this planet about the white stuff (crystallized frozen H20 that falls from the sky - darn it - my blog is rated PG for crying out loud).

Ah yes, time for all the cool, interesting, and obscure holiday songs to be played! 😂

I think I heard one yesterday that I’d never known existed to this point:

Not marshmallows, chestnuts. I mean if you get marshmallows when you sniff this frag, I not only question your frag sense, quite frankly, I question your humanity.
A86FD581-23EA-41EF-9AFF-AA35047D6067.gif

SOTD: 12/14/2022

1671030027790.jpeg

Razor: Nichiri Co Manaslu 305
Brush: Duke City Vintage Crimson Two Band Badger
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary Red Mug
Preshave: Ariana & Evans Slick Stick Soap
Soap: Cooper & French Santa’s Workshop Puck
Aftershave: Derby City Chop Shop Winter Reserve Aftershave

Neat little gingerbread cookie-ish scent for the soap followed by a neat bay rum from a small Kentucky artisan/barber….Derby City Chop Shop. The bottle is fashioned after a bourbon bottle (of course - they are from Kentucky). Based on the description, I cannot tell if they use actual bourbon in the making - or if they are just using a similar process to how bourbon is made to make the aftershave. Either way - if you are a fan of bay rum - this will hit all the marks. I’d say this is more robust than any other bay rum that I have sniffed - and it being Winter Reserve - I’d say that name is apropos to the season I would say it best matches. Strong enough that I chose not to wear a cologne with it.

Should be a decent day today- full of meetings (ugh!) - but by the end of the day my Swiss Blutt Rasur BR-1 should arrive. I’ll probably do a shave with it, then hit it with the buffer to polish it (it only comes in a sandblasted finish). Last night I finished my second run with the Aylsworth Drakkant and I am pleased with the results.

1671030645498.png

I’ll have to do a review of this razor - now that I’ve used it a few times. It is a very nice razor - not too expensive as it is stainless steel. In many ways, the artisan took all the lessons learned from other razor makers to create his…..you can definitely see Karve and Yates inspiration (the latter will be obvious). He comes from a design background - and the razor shows that. And - it is machined in Pennsylvania - by the afore mentioned Yates. This has fantastic blade clamping - so no noticeable blade chatter. And, reverse order of Karve, they now make a more affordable brass razor - very similar in head type and different design for the handle (much like Karve).

Have a great day my friends!

Glad the new razor suits! Looks great! Anything you might say is “new” or “unique” about this one?

I think there are two things that set this apart from most DEs I have used: (1) the shaving angle - while most IMO hover around that 30° angle - this one is more along the lines of 24°. So for my noggin shaves - it was a little bit of an adjustment. And (2) the blade clamping is top notch - there is no rattle and hum so to speak.

This has a .99 mm blade gap and positive blade exposure (you can get a safety bar plate with the same features, as well as one that has a .73mm blade gap and a neutral blade exposure) - it is smooth as silk and I really didn’t notice any blade feel. I don’t know if that can be attributed to my face getting tougher over the years (because I used to be a Rockwell 6S guy (still a very fine razor IMO)….or that my technique has improved over the years - or if it is the razor. All my most recent DE razors have been with a higher blade gap (from .99 to 1.4 mm) and most with blade exposure - but all have been smooth shavers. This is something when I first started traditional wet shaving - I would never have dreamed about.

I would attribute the improved tolerances to a couple of things - I think the artisan razor makers are learning the past and from each other, and I am sure the design and machining have gotten better over the years. For the Drakkant - that is surely the case- he mentioned the Karve during some of his videos and this is certainly the case in using Yates - a well known high end artisan razor maker and expert machinists.

Last edited:
So almost a sad story this afternoon. Well not a real sad story, but like a first world problem sad story that lucked out in the end. So the Blutt BR-1 that I had purchased from Switzerland was scheduled to arrive. During the time my mail normally arrives - I had a scheduled meeting. So as soon as the meeting was done - I checked my app that said it wasn’t delivered because I wasn’t available to sign (which I wasn’t aware that I was going to have to do - but makes sense). So I’m slightly bummed - figuring that I would have to go tomorrow morning to the post office to get it.

But I decided just to take a quick drive down the neighborhood to see if the mailman was still on one of the streets - I really have no idea what his route is. But I didn’t find him and I wasn’t going to drive around the whole neighborhood - so I went to turn around And lo and behold - there he was. Like I said - first world problems.

So the razor only comes in a bead blasted finish - which is ok - but I like the machined or polished look better - so I spent the evening on the buffing machine - and here are the results. On the left is the original finish and on the right - post polishing.

1671072850169.jpeg1671072899626.jpeg

Looking forward to using it for tomorrow’s shave.

SOTD: 12/15/2022

1671120424300.jpeg

Razor: Blutt Rasur BR-1
Blade: Gillette Nacet, 3rd use
Brush: Yaqi Goblin
Bowl: The Razor Company Mocha Bowl
Soap: HAGS Tarocchi Puck
Aftershave: HAGS Tarocchi Aftershave
Fragrance: Caron Un Homme de Caron Sport EdT

I enjoy wet shaving very much and almost everyday - I really enjoy my shave. But there are few days where I am just wow’d. This Blutt Rasur BR-1 is something in its own class. If been fortunate to try some of the top engineered razors (and this is not a knock on any razor- I still own my Weishi and won’t let that go) - and this BR-1 is a marvel. My previous DE shave with the Drakkant was something special - tight tolerances and no blade chatter - but I don’t know how to describe it - but this one goes to 11 - the one more. If it weren’t for my colic on the back of my head - this noggin shave would have been one pass - it was also that efficient. Usually when something new comes out - you see the YT reviewers sing praises and move on. This is one where almost everyone has rated this as their Top DE from last year (this year‘s model has small mods, tighter tolerances and a different knurling) - the only questions were on which baseplate. There are 4 and I chose the 3rd in aggression and kept my fingers crossed - and there still was no blade feel. So Bravo to Blutt! This company is from Switzerland and like Yates that also makes a razor - razor making was not their primary biz - it was a second source of income. I can’t imagine if either of these companies chose just to focus on razors - wow.

The soap is a tribute to Caron Pour Homme De Caron and HAGS (I know Gear loves that name) does a fantastic job mimicking the frag. So bravo there as well.
So have a great day everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back