The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Reasons why I mix my coffee with whiskey, my list of bodies I have buried in the woods, and other thoughts while shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOTD: 06/18/2022

1655556946579.gif

Razor: Ertan Süer Drakkar
Brush: Oumo Brush Golden Age Ebony Badger
Bowl: Otartu Viking Skull Mug
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Gael Laoch Puck
Aftershave: Murphy & McNeil Gael Laoch Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Vegan Balm
Additional Care: Creed Viking EdP

The Vikings are rampaging! First - all the positives - I’ve always loved the soap and now that I have the matching EdP to go along - really phenomenal experience. Two ironies - it isn’t a citrus bomb (though it does have some citrus) and the other is that I don’t like rose scents - yet this is so well blended that this is one of my favorites colognes. I can get why it is not universally beloved - but to me the mint combined with the rose gives off a peppermint experience - so it is more cooling to me.

OK, now I am going to sic my Vikings on Apple and Tim Cook. I’ve bought two Apple products in the past month - and neither are ”just working” as they are “magically” designed..I’ll just say this. I used to hear rumors about how poorly Apple employees were treated under the Jobs Era and I really felt bad. But now it’s like when you have a 1SG who was too nice and the troopies have gotten complacent and the latrines are dirty, uniforms aren’t crisp, and soldiers can’t hit the bullseye. I have to say, I am all for bringing Steve Jobs back from the dead, cracking the whip, and maybe, just maybe QA will provide a better product because after all - they are 4 times more expensive than their competitors and yet they have a staunch privacy advocate such as myself (who has been in the Apple ecosystem since 2003) thinking - you know, I really don’t care if Amazon or Google have my social security info - I just want my stuff to work.

Ok, now I’m off my soap box. 😂

On Aidan’s front we had a little set back that we had to overcome. The hiring organization had some concerns because they are so low on staff and Aidan requires and aide at work (the organization specializes in this - but COVID has hit every organization pretty hard)…..but I explained to them - please find something over the weekends and I will be more than happy to be Aidan’s aide - I just want him to have the experience. So we’re back on track - they have agreed. As a backup plan, I contacted a very cool volunteer organization that does music concerts at our town’s park every week all summer long. At first, it didn’t look like it was going to work because they require everyone be 21 (they serve alcohol at these activities) - but the lady in charge was so nice and accommodating - and found a solution - Aidan can help hand out flyers at the end of the concerts as people leave - so he’ll get to hear music for free while getting some job experience - we just have to sit outside the area during the concert. So win-win and I appreciate the organizer for working with us to find a solution - so I will be providing her a list of concerts that have music that Aidan likes and we are set.

So - we’re off for haircuts this morning - and Costco had a bunch of water cannons on sale last night - so we are all set for WWIII - The Scuttlesoap water battle for freedom!

Have a fantastic day everyone!

Yea…Apple is good for its simplicity, but when you try do more complicated things, like set up interconnected systems, the mess behind the smooth UI really starts to rear it’s ugly head.

The biggest headache I’ve had is setting up a family accounts and controls system. I tried to make it so we could all share the benefit of having one account, you know - shared music, contact lists, app accessibility, etc. Nope, not that easy. Someone doing something over here on their device flips the virtual switches of someone else, this person starts getting that person’s text messages, that person downloads something and it shows up on this other persons phone…then you get it all sorted out and an update comes along and see retry flips more virtual switches… come on Apple! 😂

Yea…Apple is good for its simplicity, but when you try do more complicated things, like set up interconnected systems, the mess behind the smooth UI really starts to rear it’s ugly head.

The biggest headache I’ve had is setting up a family accounts and controls system. I tried to make it so we could all share the benefit of having one account, you know - shared music, contact lists, app accessibility, etc. Nope, not that easy. Someone doing something over here on their device flips the virtual switches of someone else, this person starts getting that person’s text messages, that person downloads something and it shows up on this other persons phone…then you get it all sorted out and an update comes along and see retry flips more virtual switches… come on Apple! 😂
You feel my pain!

I just spent 20 minutes on the phone with them and they are going to replace the device - but I had to stop the guy at one point and say” Hey sir - I understand you must read from that script - but you realize the question you just asked is something that I we literally just went over?“ Why hasn’t Apple tapped into the Geek Squad type of thing? I know they have the genius bar (which I never understood -we’re going to charge you 4x the cost of what the device should cost for the opportunity for me to bring my device to you.

1655565181335.gif

😂
My device does not work, for which I paid an extraordinary price in full, you have my $, - you come here! 😂 It would be worth the extra $20 for someone to come to my house, just so I have the satisfaction of saying -”Have at it guy.“

Quick follow-up #2:

So since I am in a feisty mood, I called Apple back regarding another open ticket I have with them regarding my new iPhone (I know it sounds like I am a pain in the dupah - but really - these are the only tickets I have had with Apple in several years)…….and this was a pleasant conversation - as if it were over tea and crumpets.

Anyway - I told them that my phone is still within warrantee - I’ve only had it for less than 21 days - that I have multiple tickets with them and my carrier - spent 4.5 hours troubleshooting combined (plus my own troubleshooting) and I want a new phone at this point. They started to oblige - then a manager came on and told me they could not do it because Apple did not support that feature.

I directed him to the Apple website as well as referenced the Apple Keynote presentation in which they touted the feature…….so I asked “So you don’t support a feature that you advertise as a very reason I should be buying an iPhone in the first place? This isn’t like it is a phone or operating system from 1990 - both are literally your latest - and the model itself is what you, Apple, call Pro. That has the connotation (implied or otherwise) that it is supported.”

Then I asked - of the 14 Apple devices that I have listed on my Apple profile, and of the 6 other devices that are listed on my children’s and mother’s profile - which ones are not supported - because they all say supported on the profiles and they all have the latest operating systems.

I was then told that Apple does not support all the features. I then asked - then why are you advertising that you have these features if you don’t support them? And, between us tech guys - can we not be honest and state that these products are like every other IT product out there - there is no magic and sometimes things just don’t work. So if you don’t support them - isn’t this false advertising?

So he has escalated the case - will be calling me back tomorrow (probably with the same answer).😂

I think in my next life, I shall not choose tech as my profession…….I want to be a cowboy - the six year old me had that part right😂

Ok, now onto the forthcoming Water War! Water balloons and cannons supplies should last about an hour.

CI

I’m trying to get you louts to join the rest of the world with the Metric System! One Nurse Dave at a time.
When I worked in the printing ink business we used our own metric system.

It was easier to work with percentages of a pound in weigh ups and formulas than do all the math on the 453.6 parts per pound stuff.

Wait till Mickey D’s starts trying to sell 113.4 Gram-ers with cheese. Even Ray Kroc couldn’t sell that.

SOTD: 06/18/2022

1655633200144.gif

Razor: Thiers Issard 5/8” 1196 Evide Sonnant Compostelle
Brush: Yaqi Atlantis
Bowl: Walmart Soup Mug
Soap: Jabonman Eufros Mediterraneo Puck
Aftershave: Epsilon Blue Aftershave
Balm: Soap Commander Inspiration Balm
Additional Care: Bentley Azure EdT

Happy Father’s Day everyone! I am blessed to have my 4 kids…….

I was debating what soap and AS to use for today’s shave. I was going to use my Noble Otter Rawr - because I really like the label - it reminds me of Aidan was he was young - he really loved Dinosaurs! But even though that soap /AS is citrus forward - it has an inordinate amount of dandelion notes to it - which, to be honest, isn’t my thang……

So I decided to go off to the Mediterranean and also take the new straight razor for a spin. The soap is a muted ADP-esque type scent - by no means a dupe - but you can see the familiarity. I love Episilon Blue - reminds me of my dad - he was an Aqua Velva guy - and they are very similar - I love both - but Epsilon Blue has a brighter citrus note in it - my dad always told me to be my own guy. Bentley for Men Azure is a nice woody aquatic fragrance- little bit of everything - nice, but not overpowering citrus at the top, little bit of tea in the middle, and your typical wood and Tonka at the base.

Not sure what we are going to plan out - I promised Aidan a STEAM project, but other than that - playing it by ear. Jack and I are planning something for later on in the week.

I don’t know whether to say Happy Juneteeth, or if there is a better salutation for the holiday - I would think it is more of a somber occasion, a reflection of where our nation was and what it took to ensure all men and women are free in this country, and also that we have a ways to go to unify our great nation.

Have a fantastic day out and to all the fathers - I hope you enjoy your day!

Last edited:
Happy Father’s Day Brian! Great shave and good reflections!

Are all the kids taking the old man out for a special treat today?

Happy Father’s Day Brian! Great shave and good reflections!

Are all the kids taking the old man out for a special treat today?
Thank you my friend - we’re going to do Dutch’s Daughter Sunday Brunch - but later on this month - because they have to work - and to be honest - I don‘t want to deal with the crowds……but there was some talk of new shaving soaps to be delivered (they know me all too well 😂).

Aidan and I will chill out on some pizza, then I am thinking about the pool today……we walked by one of the public ones yesterday at the park and there were barely any folks there - so that’s my kind of pool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back