The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Reasons why I mix my coffee with whiskey, my list of bodies I have buried in the woods, and other thoughts while shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make a shaving video 😁

Good stuff man! You guys have fun and go see grandma or better yet, take her out if you can to Dutch’s Daughter.
I owe you a video or two my friend! I agree - everyone, including Omi (she believes that if she goes by a different name instead of grandma that people will think she is too young to be a grandma 😂) - off to Dutch’s!

Hopefully Jack‘s work schedule will allow!

That soap name still gets me…Hags 😂

Sounds like a great weekend ahead! What’s kind of food is Dutch’s Daughter?…that’s an interesting name too! 😂
How can you not like a soap that stands for Have A Great Shave! 😂 It’s telling you right on the tub!

Dutch’s Daughter is a local restaurant here - that is a local favorite. Dutch (the original owner) started his restaurant in the back of a VFW back in 1984 (in fact - when I moved to this area back in ’96 - it was still in the VFW)…….now his daughter has taken over and it has boomed - the built this huge two story building in a classical brick - and as luck would have it - within walking distance of my house. It is absolutely beautiful inside.

They are famous for their Sunday Bruch - which has for me Mimosas!…..but the favorite items are their roast beef au jus with the best horse radish you’ll ever have and their crab dip and homemade bread toast (this is Maryland after all 😂)……..it is a place the kids have loved since they were kids

Brunch

The rest of their menu is more upscale (but not Michelin Star upscale) - your standard fare of meats, seafood, etc.

Menu

Last edited:
SOTD: 05/29/2022

1653825097560.gif

Razor: Karve Overlander
Blade: Gillette Nacet, 1st use
Brush: Razor Emporium Blue & Gold Best Badger
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary White Mug
Soap: HAGS Resurrection Puck
Aftershave: HAGS Resurrection Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Vegan Balm
Additional Care: Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Intense EdP

Well you’d think that a soap that is a genuflection to Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue would be set to a sailboat with sunny skies - especially if that soap‘s name is an acronym for Have a Great Shave 😂. Well……based on the other label themes - even yesterday’s Facelift - the labels are of the ScI-Fi genre. They do a fantastic job and I think both this tallow / Guinness base is fantastic - and I also thought their vegan base was phenomenal as well.

If you are getting this soap purely because of the scent profile - I would think twice. It is has been my experience with this artisan (and I own 4 soaps from them) - that the scent strength is midrange to higher. This is not the case for this one. The AS is a little stronger, but not much. Maybe it is because of the fragrance - Light Blue is not beast mode to begin with. Now the soap performance is top notch in my experience - one of the best in the biz….and the AS is great too - more of a milky skin food rather than an astringent splash.

I do enjoy D&G Light Blue - specifically Light Blue Intense (how could I not, the primary top note is grapefruit)…..though I think later on today I will put some Light Blue Forever on - which is IMO - the best of all the bunch in the line - a banger of a realistic grapefruit note (though if you are not a citrus fiend - this flanker released last year - is divisive - some like the realistic grapefruit note - and others find the tartness too in your face…I in the in former crowd - put some on and follow it up with dumping grapefruit juice on my head 😂

I promised Aidan that we’d do Urban Air…..it is beautiful out today so we will follow that up with a river walk and finish off our STEAM project that we started last week.

I hope everyone has a phenomenal Sunday!

Great write up on the soap and now I need a grapefruit scent in my life.. you and Aidan have a great time! We have beautiful weather too and should be hitting the trails this morning.
D&G Light Blue is excellent! It does for grapefruit what TDH does for orange but manages to keep it summery. Great choice today!

Have a great Sunday!
Thank you my friends! Done with 2 1/2 mile river walk followed by swings at the part - now off to Urban Air for some trampoline time!

SOTD: 05/30/2022

1653915658125.jpeg

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Platinum (Black), 3rd use
Brush: TonmiKo Curly Birch Badger
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary Black Mug
Soap: 345 Soap Company Trench Lines Puck
Aftershave: 345 Soap Company Trench Lines Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Vegan Balm
Additional Care: Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet

Somber shave today as I reflect on the meaning of Memorial Day. I am fortunate that I never lost a close friend or soldier to combat and I can’t imagine for the ones that have - the impacts to their families as well. Living where I do - close to Arlington National Cemetery (a literal garden of stone), two Civil War battlefields (Antietam and Gettysburg), and having relatives and going to school near Valley Forge - we have citizens that have given the ultimate sacrifice so that we living may enjoy the benefits of a democracy. From the Revolutionary Way and War of 1812 that established the birth of this country and fought the representatives of a tyrannical king, to the Union Soldiers who bravely fought and won to keep this nation together in our darkest hour, to those of World War I and II who reminded us that we are part of the global community and that protecting our nation also means standing up to evil and protecting our allies, and the most recent conflicts in Korea, Viet Nam, and the wars in the Middle East - we have had men and women who have ensured our country’s ideals have been preserved.

So to my countrymen and women who have given all, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I wish everyone today a peaceful Monday and those on call I hope you get to spend some quality time with your families when you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back