The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Great shave Tim!

Chiseled Face and Stirling perform about the same for me.

clyde72 said:
Great shave Tim!

Chiseled Face and Stirling perform about the same for me.

Good to know, thanks. I figured I just didn’t have it dialed in 100% yet.

Two days in a row of GTB? I can't imagine how manly you feel now!

NurseDave said:
Two days in a row of GTB? I can't imagine how manly you feel now!

You cannot imagine the difficulty in cramming this much manly into a two seater to get to work.

MilkCrate said:
In other shaving news ... I got a blade bank.

That will last you a lifetime. I have been using the same soup can for 8 years. It's about 60% full. I roughed out some math and your pringles can is 8 times the volume of my soup can. Based on my rough usage, that pringles can would last me about 100 years!

Spider said:
That will last you a lifetime. I have been using the same soup can for 8 years. It's about 60% full. I roughed out some math and your pringles can is 8 times the volume of my soup can. Based on my rough usage, that pringles can would last me about 100 years!

Sweet, I like those projects that have long term rewards ?

I even put the established date on top for historical reference.

MilkCrate said:
Sweet, I like those projects that have long term rewards
1f601.png

I think when my can fills up (in another 3-4 years), I'm going to go the Pringles can route. Then I never have to go through the ordeal of making another blade bank again! LOL.

Two shaves in a row with CFG GTB? Are you trying to make your stubble grow back 10x faster than normal? That stuff is more potent than the peanut butter solution!

Two shaves in a row with CFG GTB? Are you trying to make your stubble grow back 10x faster than normal? That stuff is more potent than the peanut butter solution!
Very good point

Working through the GTB again last night and saw a significant change in performance. I don't think I will have enough sample to complete a rotation, but we'll give it a go.

Pre Shave-
Hot shower followed by a hot water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Tech (Ball End)
Astra SP
No name badger brush
GTB soap sample

Post Shave-
Hot water splash
GTB AS sample

With the previous GTB shave I made an adjustment, to a different brush and the results were less than stellar. I was using my Omega boar and found that it just doesn't load this soap as well, or generate the same lather as the badger. Hard to believe right? My boar usually does well, regardless of what I throw at it, but looking back it has mainly been used with harder soaps. Last night, I went back to the badger, loaded it a bit longer and got it dialed in.

I had a much better lather and overall performance this go around, with no breakdown issues at all. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG. Had a great shave and walked away with a BBS. Yes ... a BBS. The AS splash once again confirmed that everything was right as rain. This combination does have a great post shave feel and the scent lasts well for me. Hours later, I can still catch the lingering scent of the AS.

I am still digging the scent of GTB, but have given up trying to break down the scent components. Last nights soap/shave was a chance at redemption and it was a complete success. My normal shave rotation should run until Friday, so we'll see if the sample can hang. I shave daily and the weekends are "free days". This allows me time to try samples and/or other options between shaving rotations. But unless something unfortunate happens, this soap/AS combo should have a place in my standard product rotation.

Ok, here's what you're smelling. The base note is a leather saddle from circa 1843, approximately 12 years old, saturated with dust from an Oklahoma prairie, with 3 hours of horse sweat soaked into the under side. Then on top of that is the smoke from a cooking fire about 24' away, made with some hardwoods and started with a flint. Chad says if you squint and tilt your head, you can pick-up the faint wisp of a small tumbleweed that got caught in the fire.

Ok, here's what you're smelling. The base note is a leather saddle from circa 1843, approximately 12 years old, saturated with dust from an Oklahoma prairie, with 3 hours of horse sweat soaked into the under side. Then on top of that is the smoke from a cooking fire about 24' away, made with some hardwoods and started with a flint. Chad says if you squint and tilt your head, you can pick-up the faint wisp of a small tumbleweed that got caught in the fire.

Thanks for that. I think the the tumbleweed was throwing off my simpleton nose.

Great to hear that you were able to coax a great lather out of the GTB Tim!

IRT the Peanut Butter Solution...as long as you're ONLY using it on your facial hair regions, you should be fine. Using it for a head shave, (if that's something you do), is ok as well. Please don't let SWMBO use it for shaving her legs...I thought mine was wearing a ghillie suit the day after she did this. ??

Great shave Tim!

Hard to argue with a BBS, and if the matching scent appeals to you, its just that much better!

GTB is a great scent IMHO!

Great to hear that you were able to coax a great lather out of the GTB Tim!

IRT the Peanut Butter Solution...as long as you're ONLY using it on your facial hair regions, you should be fine. Using it for a head shave, (if that's something you do), is ok as well. Please don't let SWMBO use it for shaving her legs...I thought mine was wearing a ghillie suit the day after she did this. ??

Wow ... that is good to know.

I did read somewhere that straight coconut oil works great too.

Thanks for that. I think the the tumbleweed was throwing off my simpleton nose.

The scent was first described to me as:

"...After riding hard on the trail, a cowboy walks into a barbershop, lights a small campfire, fires off a few rounds from his pistol. That's what you'll smell."

He wasn't that far off!

I think you guys are messing with me. I have been putting GTB on half of my receding hairline and peanut butter on the other for two days. I don’t have any hair growing, I just have a mess.

Back