The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

I usually use a boar or horse, but this one worked ok. It was pretty soft, held water good and lathered well. I was surprised.

Nice shave. Keep at it. You are on the right track. You will improve a bit with each shave.

Stirling is, in my opinion, one of the best soap producers in the market. Their product smells great and just works.

Today was the start of a new rotation. I think I used Tabac once or twice after I got it. Now it’s time to give it a week.

Pre Shave-

Hot water splash

Shave-

Gillette SS

Astra SP (1)

Vie Long horsehair

Tabac soap and AS

I know everyone’s nose is different. To me Tabac smells like a powder and it’s heavy on the puck. I gave the brush a load and went to it.

The heavy powder smell does lessen when lathering. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG. Again taking my time and just enjoying a
relaxing morning. I usually say there is no drama and there wasn’t any this time. The Astra blades work well for me. They are sharp and forgiving, allowing me to end my shave without injury. Not sure why, maybe my technique, but they seem to fade about shave 5.

The shave was great. Tabac lathers well and is slick, allowing for buffing where needed. I almost walked away with a complete BBS today but I missed a spot by the Adam’s Apple. So DFS it is, and I’m perfectly happy with that.

I followed up the shave with the matching AS. Not sure what it was about the AS, but it smells slightly different. To my nose, the powder smell wasn’t as strong.

Anyway, I don’t find the powder smell awesome but I’m not repulsed either so well give it a fair shake in the rotation. When it first came in, the Mrs liked the scent on the puck. So there is that.

dkeester said:
Nice shave. Keep at it. You are on the right track. You will improve a bit with each shave.

Stirling is, in my opinion, one of the best soap producers in the market. Their product smells great and just works.

Agreed.

Good shave, read, and picture Tim.
IHMO any scent that SWMBO likes is a keeper scent!

Tabac is really great stuff. I plan to always have the soap and AS in my den. You are not alone in thinking that the AS has a slightly different smell from the soap puck.

When I started out I could only get 5 days from an Astra SP. Now, however, I can get them to last over a month if I want to. Careful technique will eventually lead to greater blade longevity.

dkeester said:
When I started out I could only get 5 days from an Astra SP. Now, however, I can get them to last over a month if I want to. Careful technique will eventually lead to greater blade longevity.

That’s good to know, thanks.

...and once you get Tabac we can give you the TOP Secret Recipe for TabacaVeg, The shave of Kings, LOL.

Xenostr8shaver said:
...and once you get Tabac we can give you the TOP Secret Recipe for TabacaVeg, The shave of Kings, LOL.

Sounds like that might be kinda scary!

I mixed it up a bit today. Started the day with a shave. Same setup for the remainder of this rotation.

Pre Shave-
Hot water splash

Shave-
Gillette SS
Astra SP
Vie Long horsehair
Tabac soap and AS

I took my time this morning. Too much actually, I was 10 minutes late for work, but it was so worth it.

I was really focusing on all aspects of my shave. Brush characteristics, lather and blade angle / speed. Loaded the brush a little heavy and just kept throwing water at it. Tabac did not disappoint, the lather just kept building and building.

Went with the standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG. Had the angle pretty much dialed in and walked away with a DFS. The AS confirmed that it was indeed a good shave.

Great way to start the day!

Caught up in your journal, Tim. Some great shaves and set ups in here. Tabac is one that I will always have in the den as well.

Back