The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Great shave and read Tim!

Run don't walk to your computer and order now before SWMBO changes her mind!

Nice shaves. Glad your wife gave you go ahead. Mine just rolls her eyes.

Great shave Tim! I'm really bad at picking out scents too, so don't be too hard on yourself haha. Good work on getting the wife on board, mine just tells me I have too much stuff as it is!

I'm all too familiar with my wife rolling her eyes.
1f60e.png

Great Shave Tim! I think you and I are brothers...I smell the aftershave on my hands periodically throughout the day. And like you, my wife has also called me a "weirdo" when doing so. Maybe it's a sign that we are doing something right!

Great Shave Tim! I think you and I are brothers...I smell the aftershave on my hands periodically throughout the day. And like you, my wife has also called me a "weirdo" when doing so. Maybe it's a sign that we are doing something right!

I do the same thing. You should see the looks I get from my co-workers! Hahaha!

Good stuff, Tim! If you are still trying out different bay rums I would point you in the direction of Long Rifle Soap Co. Bay Rhum. Amanda makes awesome soaps, and this is my favorite bay rum scent. It pairs well with the Captain's Choice aftershave, and I think you'll find the performance is a few notches above.

Yup, we must be doing something right. I do the hand thing too.

Good stuff, Tim! If you are still trying out different bay rums I would point you in the direction of Long Rifle Soap Co. Bay Rhum. Amanda makes awesome soaps, and this is my favorite bay rum scent. It pairs well with the Captain's Choice aftershave, and I think you'll find the performance is a few notches above.
. I’ll check it out, thanks.

Playing a bit of catchup today. Yesterday I had time for a morning shave. I once again went to the Proraso Wood & Spice. This is the soap/ASB combo I am using all week.

Pre Shave-
Hot water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette OC
Astra SP
No name Badger
Proraso Wood & Spice cream sample

Post Shave-
Hot water splash
Proraso Wood & Spice ASB sample

Still working on dialing in creams, but this lather was a lot better than Sunday. I loaded the brush lighter and got the water dialed in quickly. This was a great lather and not as wasteful as my previous shave.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and had no drama. It was another shave for the books and the Gillette delivered a BBS shave, yet again. This razor has been a welcome addition to the shelf and has delivered from the first shave. I hit the ASB and everything was right as rain. Post shave feel, after the ASB settles, is spot on.

This combo has an attractive scent and will definitely be added to my soap/AS rotation. It was also an excellent way to start the day.

Note: I don't think I
mentioned this in a previous post, but this soap has the same scumbag properties as the Proraso Red. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I think if you like the Proraso Red, this combo should be to your liking as well.

I was able to get in another morning shave. Although I am working with the Wood & Spice sample, I loaded up Proraso Red. I did this for two reasons, one I haven’t used it in a bit and needed the Sandlewood fix. And two, I wanted to compare the shave to the Wood & Spice.

Pre Shave-
Hot water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette OC
Astra SP
Omega Boar
Proraso Red

Post Shave-
Hot water rinse
Proraso Red AS splash

I love the Proraso Red, so I won’t introduce it. I loaded up and hit it, sniffing heavily the whole time.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and had no drama. I stayed with the Gillette OC and it once again delivered a BBS shave. For those of you watching at home, that is two in a row. I hit the AS splash and everything was right as rain +1. Post shave feel is always spot on. My humble day began again with an awesome shave and a great start to the day.

I am no pro, so I don’t have much in the way of a comparison. To me they stack up equally in performance, strength, awesome scent and value. With that out of the way, back to our regularly scheduled programming tommorow.

Once again that is my 2 cents, spend it wisely.

Back