The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

dkeester said:
I hope that you are disciplined enough to keep to your plan. I wish you lots of luck, and plenty of willpower to spare, in adhering to it.

Oh, I am determined. I don’t think I’ve posted this pic of my shelf yet. It’s 18 x 24”, my kit has to fit on it.

MilkCrate said:

Mail call.

This came yesterday. I keep reading a lot of good reviews on Ghost Town Barber, so I grabbed a sample.

I also have samples of Proraso Wood & Spice and CC Bay Rum on the way.

You're gonna love that soap! I need to get myself some of the matching AS.

SteveChuckFrank said:
You're gonna love that soap! I need to get myself some of the matching AS.

It will be on deck tomorrow. Sometimes Saturdays are a free day before a rotation change.

With my soaps, I have to have a matching AS. Guess I’m kinda weird like that. The only exception was Nivia paired with Williams or Arko.

Nice shelf for all of your gear...have to agree with Steve on the GTB, it's a great soap and performer!

Here we go, today I had GTB on deck. I pulled the sample out and have it in a sample tin for easier loading. I face lather, just because I can.

Pre Shave-
Hot water splash

Shave-
Gillette Tech (Ball End)
Astra SP
No name Badger
GTB soap and AS

Decided to give the Tech the workout time today. With that chosen, loaded a fresh Astra and off we went.

First impressions ... this soap smells and shaves like crap. I don’t know how you guys can go on and on about it ... JK.

Ok, for real this time. Loaded up and here we go. To the scent, it does smell good. Maybe because it’s complex, I don’t know exactly what I am smelling, but I like it.

The soap loaded and lathered well. The badger just oozed foam. First and second passes were great and had plenty of slick. Something strange happened on the third pass. The lather just disappeared off my face. Maybe I didn’t load enough at first and I got it too wet with rinses. No worries. Went back to the sample and hit it like it owed me money. Third pass down and done.

Cleaned and wrapped up with the AS splash. Walked away with a BBS and a great scent for the day.

I’m going to see if this sample will work for a complete rotation. With that said, if I keep hanging around you guys I will need a bigger shelf.

Sounds like a great shave. I am glad the GTB is working for you. I still have yet to try CF.

MilkCrate said:
I’m going to see if this sample will work for a complete rotation. With that said, if I keep hanging around you guys I will need a bigger shelf.
Danger Will Robinson, danger! One new shelf could lead to two new shelves, and then a whole new storage system. Lol.

Great read and shave Tim!

Ghost Town Barber is a great scent and Chiseled Face makes a great stuff!

Great first run with the GTB! I have a love/hate relationship with samples. It gives a good opportunity to see how the soap smells, if it's in my wheelhouse, but I always have a difficult time loading them properly, as I tend to be a little conservative on how much I load up.

dkeester said:
Danger Will Robinson, danger! One new shelf could lead to two new shelves, and then a whole new storage system. Lol.

I am so going to blame you enablers. I may need to Google how to build a false wall.

Talk to CBLindsay about making hidden shelving units. He has to get creative with his hiding spots and is pretty ingenious when it comes to this!

Nice shave and read, Tim. GTB is a wondrous scent, and CF makes quality products.

False wall? Can be done. Behind the mirror could be a good spot.

MilkCrate said:
Oh, I am determined. I don’t think I’ve posted this pic of my shelf yet. It’s 18 x 24”, my kit has to fit on it.

Ya, I thought I only had one drawer to put my shaving stuff in. Then I snuck some stuff under the sink, then started keeping some in the bedroom and finally emptied out a small dresser drawer. Now that’s full and I need to make space in another.

Dagwoodz said:
Great first run with the GTB! I have a love/hate relationship with samples. It gives a good opportunity to see how the soap smells, if it's in my wheelhouse, but I always have a difficult time loading them properly, as I tend to be a little conservative on how much I load up.

I think I will just have to have a love/hate with samples. The Stirling Bay Rum lit me up. It felt like a chem burn. So I have a sample of Captains Choice on the way. I wasn’t sure about GTB because I have a Cedar allergy. But I did ok with it.

I might get busted building a false wall. Maybe I could just do another “range bag”, yeah that’s it. Or put some of those 2 gun hard cases to use. I now use the soft tac cases for the long guns.

Oh so Cute, nice travel shelf, and you said you would only need a shelf muahahaahahaha. I have some building contractors that do very nice room additions and Shave den expansions, LOL Great Stuff!

LOL, the enabling is strong in this one.

I think I can make room on the shelf for a few more essentials. I have double sided tape if needed.

Went with the GTB again today, I am going to try and get a complete rotation out of this sample. Hit the ground running this morning, so I had to shave this evening.

Pre Shave-
Hot shower followed by a hot water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Tech (Ball End)
Astra SP
Omega boar
GTB soap and AS

Since I had to reload for a third pass yesterday, I changed a couple of variables today. I used the boar brush and didn’t splash between passes. I thought this would keep me from getting my lather too wet. It worked, but maybe at the cost of slickness. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG. Had a great shave and walked away with a DFS. I was mostly BBS, but had a bit of missed stubble. Th
e AS splash confirmed that all was right with the world.

I may not have this one dialed in right yet, but Stirling seems slicker. Stirling also seems a little more water tolerant.

With that said, I am still digging the scent of GTB. Still can’t break down the scent or define the main components that I smell. It also has a great post shave feel. It may have a place in the standard rotation.

Back