The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Same shave report this morning. Tabac = Awesome!

In other shaving news ... I got a blade bank.

That is a great choice for a blade bank... unless you wake up in the middle of the night with the munchies. Lol.

That’s why I put it in the cabinet, under the sink. I never look for snacks down there ?

Good reads. And I gotta agree about Tabac aftershave smelling a bit different than the puck. Actually, I mix it with some Fine Snake Bite, and that works well for me. The Tabac EdC is fantastic; but avoid the EdT as it doesn't smell anything like Tabac, IMHO.

SteveChuckFrank said:
Love the blade bank! Great idea. And yes, keep that out of the normal snack zone! Hahaha

Quick, easy and out of sight. Cut a slit in the lid and a few drops of super glue to keep it on.

Mail call.

This came yesterday. I keep reading a lot of good reviews on Ghost Town Barber, so I grabbed a sample.

I also have samples of Proraso Wood & Spice and CC Bay Rum on the way.

A quick update on the week. It’s been a Tabac week and great shaves all around. I am off work this morning, so started the day with a shave.

Pre Shave-
Hot water splash

Shave-
Gillette SS
Astra SP
Vie Long horsehair
Tabac soap and AS

I just can’t say enough good things about Tabac. As others have said, there is a reason it’s a classic. I went with the standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG with no issues. Once again I walked away with another DFS.

For me the scent will stay strong for a bit and thenstart to fade. I can usually get a whiff every once and again during the day.

I may have mentioned that I plan on keeping my soap and AS collection somewhat small.With that said, these are the keepers so far:

Proraso Red
Tabac
Stirling Ben Franklin (strong maybe)
Arko (travel kit)

Now I’m curious about adding Bay Rum and Ghost Town Barber. We’ll see how the quest shakes out.

MilkCrate said:
I may have mentioned that I plan on keeping my soap and AS collection somewhat small.

That was my original plan too. Didn't work out for me. Now granted, I have nothing on some other members here, but I could easily go 10 years without another purchase. I won't, but I could.

Another nice tabacalicous shave Tim!

Ghost Town Barber is a great scent and Chiseled Face products are top notch IMHO!

Great mail call and some nice Tabacalicious shaves.

Quijote said:
That was my original plan too. Didn't work out for me. Now granted, I have nothing on some other members here, but I could easily go 10 years without another purchase. I won't, but I could.

I agree with Don. Many of us started out to have "only a small collection" of one or more items. Right now I have over 100 DE razors, several (15 or so?) Injectors, several GEM and Feather SE razors, a few straights, a pile of shavettes, over 2000 DE blades, lots of SE blades, a Trac-II compatible cartridge razor with ~200 carts, 12? (not sure, haven't counted) brushes, enough soap for about 3 years (or more) of daily shaves, around 30 (possibly more - haven't counted em) different aftershaves, several Old Spice mugs, and several creams. We call them "acquisition disorders" for a reason. I have gone through just about all of them.

I hope that you are disciplined enough to keep to your plan. I wish you lots of luck, and plenty of willpower to spare, in adhering to it.

Back