The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Post your Shave Dens!

Hi all, someone posted a link to an amazon some time ago, of a drawered shelf which would be perfect for straight razors. It had several models which had more and more drawers. I think it was a woodworkers cabinet or tool cabinet.

Can anyone help me out with this one? We want to upgrade the look of my den, so most of my straights are not setting out on top of my dresser or in unaccusable boxes.

Thanks!

Hi all, someone posted a link to an amazon some time ago, of a drawered shelf which would be perfect for straight razors. It had several models which had more and more drawers. I think it was a woodworkers cabinet or tool cabinet.

Can anyone help me out with this one? We want to upgrade the look of my den, so most of my straights are not setting out on top of my dresser or in unaccusable boxes.

Thanks!
@Luecke3262 , this one?

8 Drawer Wood Tool Chest

Thanks!
I remember @Scuttlesoap posted a pic of a modern version of an Apothecary cabinet he got. could that be it?
1643813382524.jpeg

I remember @Scuttlesoap posted a pic of a modern version of an Apothecary cabinet he got. could that be it?
View attachment 78745
I'm thinking about a lockable cabinet like the one @Fenster posted. My 4.5 year old has never shown any interest in picking up any of my straights, but I don't want to chance it. This is nice for an up and out of the way storage solution though!

Drove past an antique store and they had a cabinet out front that would be perfect for shave gear. Now if I can convince the wife that I need to go back and get it.

I'm thinking about a lockable cabinet like the one @Fenster posted. My 4.5 year old has never shown any interest in picking up any of my straights, but I don't want to chance it. This is nice for an up and out of the way storage solution though!
I totally understand that and agree 100 % about something lockable.... Good luck...

@Luecke3262 it has expanded a little - not so you’d notice 😂

So, @BarberDave with his den gave me the idea to add motion detection leds so when I open the dresser drawers, I can see my stuff. I added a ”run-off” area for seasonal soaps/AS, extras - such as blades, alum, etc., duplicates of items I own that if they were to be discontinued I’d be ok for a while, and as much synth menthol that I could acquire.

Top of the dresser, I have an apothecary chest that I use for all my blades plus my extra handles and razor heads, as well as my “dry off” area post shave, and some extra bowls, mugs, brushes, and colognes that I have to find space. Plus I have all my “high end” razor and handle cases - just because I didn’t want the boxes to get dented or damaged with the rest of my box storage.

1649858916929.jpeg1649859010779.jpeg

Dresser itself: Top Left has all my brushes plus barbershop, fougères, and chypre scented soaps (which since most contain some citrus - is my next highest # of soaps by genre - I took the pic from the front - but there are 4 stacks of 10 on that side). middle top - my razors (yes I have a thing for leather 😂), right side - pre/post shave balms plus “old school” aftershaves.

1649859216897.jpeg

Middle two drawers: Soaps in order by artisan - alphabetical order. I used to have it based on scent types, but for some reason my citrus and boozy based scents became unruly.

1649859313854.jpeg

1649859524536.jpeg

Bottom two drawers: Aftershaves and colognes. There is a slight rhyme or reason (at least for the AS) - where I try to keep (to save space) bottle types together (as you see on the left for aftershaves and the right for colognes) - then after that for AS - artisan by alphabetical order. For colognes - it is just as I could fit them - I have to figure out how to better arrange.

1649859481472.jpeg

And then finally the ”run-off” area as explained above:

1649859564306.jpeg

So, @BarberDave with his den gave me the idea to add motion detection leds so when I open the dresser drawers, I can see my stuff. I added a ”run-off” area for seasonal soaps/AS, extras - such as blades, alum, etc., duplicates of items I own that if they were to be discontinued I’d be ok for a while, and as much synth menthol that I could acquire.

Top of the dresser, I have an apothecary chest that I use for all my blades plus my extra handles and razor heads, as well as my “dry off” area post shave, and some extra bowls, mugs, brushes, and colognes that I have to find space. Plus I have all my “high end” razor and handle cases - just because I didn’t want the boxes to get dented or damaged with the rest of my box storage.

View attachment 80265View attachment 80266

Dresser itself: Top Left has all my brushes plus barbershop, fougères, and chypre scented soaps. middle top - my razors (yes I have a thing for leather 😂), right side - pre/post shave balms plus “old school” aftershaves.

View attachment 80267

Middle two drawers: Soaps in order by artisan - alphabetical order. I used to have it based on scent types, but for some reason my citrus and boozy based scents became unruly.

View attachment 80268

View attachment 80270

Bottom two drawers: Aftershaves and colognes. There is a slight rhyme or reason (at least for the AS) - where I try to keep (to save space) bottle types together (as you see on the left for aftershaves and the right for colognes) - then after that for AS - artisan by alphabetical order. For colognes - it is just as I could fit them - I have to figure out how to better arrange.

View attachment 80269

View attachment 80271
Dang Brian! I’m glad I asked for an update! Your starter kit has really come along into a moderately Spartan den. Well done!

View attachment 80265View attachment 80266

Dresser itself: Top Left has all my brushes plus barbershop, fougères, and chypre scented soaps (which since most contain some citrus - is my next highest # of soaps by genre - I took the pic from the front - but there are 4 stacks of 10 on that side). middle top - my razors (yes I have a thing for leather 😂), right side - pre/post shave balms plus “old school” aftershaves.

View attachment 80267

View attachment 80268

View attachment 80270

View attachment 80269

View attachment 80271
I know things are a little beat up - I have seen some really nice set-ups where people have really taken the time to design and present - and IMO - whether small or large - whatever makes people happy - that is what is best for them.

But for me - it is cool because I remember my dad every time I grab some shaving gear - he had this dresser for as long as I remember. But - if I am honest, he’d probably razz me for what I use it for - he had one Gillette Fatboy or slim (that I can’t remember) - a can of foam, and aqua Velva, old spice, or English Leather - depending on the occasion (See he collected AS back in the 70s!)

Back