The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Shaving World

Great video Dave. Thanks for the shoutout!

Glad the new setup is working well!

Ah.... The ring leader of the circus! This is Chad talking to Dave! Jester #4 the ring leader!

Get to 100 I'm rolling

I had the opportunity to use a Timeless last year. Had the full master kit with everything. My big impression was that it was not very efficient at all. This is coming from a guy that loves his Tech razors. The Timeless was as mild as the Tech, but I needed extra work to get the same level of shave from it. It really does benefit from a Feather blade, but still not very efficient IMO.

That soap though....... That thin bubbly lather almost disappeared when you tried to build it on your face, then after getting some painted on, it seemed to fade as you were talking. Then the cheap junk packaging, the machine squirted samples... Not one I'm going to put on my list for sure.

Great video though!

The Gods have certainly been unkind in the soap dept. That stuff looked thin and airy as all get out. Funny how 2 people would have such opposite views of the razor from overly aggressive to mild. I have a Rex Ambassador Modern that I have coming in a week or so from a pass around to try so by all means hold onto that and take your time with all the plates and different blades and see what clicks for you. You'll have yours but then and you'll know exactly what you want if you prefer a different plate or something and can watch BST or acquire new. Nice video Dave

I had the opportunity to use a Timeless last year. Had the full master kit with everything. My big impression was that it was not very efficient at all. This is coming from a guy that loves his Tech razors. The Timeless was as mild as the Tech, but I needed extra work to get the same level of shave from it. It really does benefit from a Feather blade, but still not very efficient IMO.
Good shave Dave! The Timeless is quite a looker!
Yep, it looks so good I really want to find a combo that works for it for a nice close shave.

That soap though....... That thin bubbly lather almost disappeared when you tried to build it on your face, then after getting some painted on, it seemed to fade as you were talking. Then the cheap junk packaging, the machine squirted samples... Not one I'm going to put on my list for sure.

Great video though!
The Gods have certainly been unkind in the soap dept. That stuff looked thin and airy as all get out. Funny how 2 people would have such opposite views of the razor from overly aggressive to mild.
I think the other samples for them will just end up in the trash :/

Odd to think it's taking top layer of skin off but leaving hair. Looking forward to you using a different blade in it. I had blade feel and the feeling that if I wasn't careful it could bite but I got the smoothest close shaves that lasted noticeably longer. I only got 3 or 4 uses before sending it out though. You and KJ will have more shaves with it then me by the time you're done. Nice video

Quick google got this in english for the Nivea 2 in 1, it's got menthol as you thought.

Product description:
The 2-phase formula with Aloe Vera and pro vitamin B5, nourishes and protects the skin. It combines the nourishing effect of balm with the refreshing effect of a fluid in a single product: protect & care 2 in 1 after shave.
Soothes and regenerates the skin immediately after shaving
Nourishes the skin and protects it from drying out
Refreshes and gives the skin a pleasant scent

Ingredients:
Alcohol Denat., Cyclomethicone, Isohexadecane, Aqua, glycerin, fragrance, panthenol, Aloe barbadensis leaf extract, menthol, isopropyl myristate, sodium chloride, limonene, linalool, Citronellol, coumarin, Alpha ISO methyl Ionone, Geraniol, CI 42090, CI 16035

I think the other samples for them will just end up in the trash :/
shame really, I always thought the scent descriptions were interesting. I had one tub end up in my den (forget the name), it smelled awesome but always disappointed. It’s gone now.

Quick google got this in english for the Nivea 2 in 1, it's got menthol as you thought.

Product description:
The 2-phase formula with Aloe Vera and pro vitamin B5, nourishes and protects the skin. It combines the nourishing effect of balm with the refreshing effect of a fluid in a single product: protect & care 2 in 1 after shave.
Soothes and regenerates the skin immediately after shaving
Nourishes the skin and protects it from drying out
Refreshes and gives the skin a pleasant scent

Ingredients:
Alcohol Denat., Cyclomethicone, Isohexadecane, Aqua, glycerin, fragrance, panthenol, Aloe barbadensis leaf extract, menthol, isopropyl myristate, sodium chloride, limonene, linalool, Citronellol, coumarin, Alpha ISO methyl Ionone, Geraniol, CI 42090, CI 16035
In the end, my skin felt nice a taught and smooth, but not as hydrated as after a balm. Almost as though it could replace the witch hazel instead of a balm. But I’ll mess around with. Plus it’s just kinda neat.

Enjoyed the video Dave, and have kept my eye out for that 2-in-1 Nivea for a while, though I think its only sold overseas. (still can't find it here, lol) It's interesting hearing your experience with the Timeless.

I was intrigued enought to scout it on the bay. Best deal I found was $13 and change. Coming to me from Germany. Might try there to see if possible to get to you. I assume it seperates again as it sits after use?

Just to add a little clarification on Van Yulay Soaps. Van Yulay is the name of the company, owned by Monica Gillam. She makes lots of skin care products. Soap of the Gods is the name of the Shaving Soap Line. She has around 180 scents in her shaving soap line!!! What does that tell you? These are not hand made scent blends, she just uses pre made scents that she orders.

You are getting pretty much the same results as I did. Love the razor feel and looks and I really REALLY wanted to like it, but the shaves I got from it were just not good enough to justify buying one. I got the same sort of blade feel you experienced with the more open plates, but could get a closer shave with a Tech. It's a shame because I love all other aspects of the razor.

As far as Nivea, they stopped selling in the US a few years ago for some reason. I used to use the creme. It smelled like medicine, but was really slick and easy to use. I PIF'd my tube to a new shaver a few years ago figuring I could just run down to the store to get another, and found out nobody had any. I did a little searching and found out they quit offering some things in the US but can't recall if I found out why.

Well the plates must make a hug difference. It seems your experience with the OC was similar to mine. Looking forward to your impressions with the smooth plate.

Enjoyed the video Dave, and have kept my eye out for that 2-in-1 Nivea for a while, though I think its only sold overseas. (still can't find it here, lol) It's interesting hearing your experience with the Timeless.
I used it in place of the witch hazel today and seems to have worked well. I still need a balm after it. I'm not sure if it's any better than witch hazel or just different for the moment. Also, there is a huge amount of alcohol in it for the quick drying which I imagine contributes to needing a moisturizer after.

Back