The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

Well over the weekend I see Dave is trying to solve the world. Let's don't flush these wipes please!

Yesterday's shave:

2018 shave #298 (DE:100 SE:89 Str:107 Cart:3)
Parker 76R w/ Voskhod (2)
Stirling Tuxedo
A&E St Barts
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2 in 1
Tommy Bahama St Kitts

Moved the Voskhod from the Timeless to the Parker to see if it worked better there. Bingo! (the only time I'll get to say that) Not my favorite blade, but a mild one to use along with Wilkinson Sword. I guess the bummer is that with all the newer DE razors I have, I don't see myself pulling out the Parker all that often to use these. I'll have to see if it meshes with the Q-Shave or something else I have out to use for clean-up.

2018 shave #299 (DE:101 SE:89 Str:107 Cart:3)
Parker 76R w/ Voskhod (3)
Stirling Tuxedo
Strop Shoppe London Morning
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2 in 1
Atelier Oolang Infini EdP

Finished up the Voskhod blade today so I can put away the Parker. Yesterday was an afternoon shave, so there wasn't much growth. Nice and mild BBS. Used a mildly scented soap as well to try another scent sample. This one is much too weak of a scent that to me was pretty much gone as soon as I put it on.

Getting into what will be a busy for months. I'm sure for everyone. Our oldest is doing an educational trip to the D.C. area for a week. We have a short trip to Vegas. The oldest is in a play. We have another long weekend on the coast for an art auction. And of course the holidays and guests. Gear up my brothers!

Jolly good shaves Dave! Pip pip cheerio and all that.

Sounds like some fun months coming up! Where’s the art auction at? Monterrey area?

Jolly good shaves Dave! Pip pip cheerio and all that.

Sounds like some fun months coming up! Where’s the art auction at? Monterrey area?
It's actually a pretty sweet deal. It's at the Ritz in Half Moon Bay. Free room, meals, alcohol and entertainment!

So the end of the year is nearing. I'm a data guy and I'm feeling as though I don't have enough data for my shaves this year. So I went and edited every entry in my diary app to include year and blade used.

As so now, the blade used most this year is the Feather Proguard at 153 shaves. I use this almost exclusively in my RX and SS so knew it would be high, but I'm surprised how high.

The razor used the most so far is the RX at 83 shaves.

And the DE blade used the most is the Israeli Personna at 41.

Stayed turned for an end of the year summary. I know you're excited!

So the end of the year is nearing. I'm a data guy and I'm feeling as though I don't have enough data for my shaves this year. So I went and edited every entry in my diary app to include year and blade used.

As so now, the blade used most this year is the Feather Proguard at 153 shaves. I use this almost exclusively in my RX and SS so knew it would be high, but I'm surprised how high.

The razor used the most so far is the RX at 83 shaves.

And the DE blade used the most is the Israeli Personna at 41.

Stayed turned for an end of the year summary. I know you're excited!

Run those numbers Dave! Crunch em!

2018 shave #300 (DE:102 SE:89 Str:107 Cart:3)
Merkur 38c w/ Feather (1)
RazoRock synth
Siliski Frankincense & Myrrh
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2 in 1
Penhaligon's Kensington Amber

Always fun to try a new soap. The Siliski samples comes a la Stirling style with a disk cut off and wrapped in plastic, but they are approx twice as thick as Stirling. Nice chunk of soap for $6. It is a fairly firm soap so I was able to just cut an edge off the plastic and slice off enough soap to smear on my bowl. It looks like the puck hasn't even been touched, so you'll get a ton of shaves out of a sample.

The lathering was quick and easy. I stopped a little early because I didn't want to blow past the water band, but it took an additional bolus of water with no problem and made a great lather. The scent strength was a bummer. 1.5, maybe 2 at the most. Very light, which I don't reall
y enjoy. If I like the scent, I want to smell it. So I'm interested to see if this is consistent across the line. I did get the an ambery incense mix one might expect but it was so weak I couldn't pick up anything else.

Performance rocked. Why haven't I heard of these guys? Nice cushion, top notch residual. Without adding any water after the pass, my face felt like it just had lotion applied and with a touch of water you could easily do another pass. It wasn't ice skating slippery, but it was close. There is no tallow and I don't know what makes up a soap that is face to leave on your skin for hydration, but this really felt like it could have done that.

All in all, I'm just bummed the scent is so weak. There are plenty of great performers out there now, so I feel you need a great scent to back-up the performance to roll with the artisans these days. I'm hoping some of the other samples fit that bill.

Also tried a sample of Kensington Amber from Penhaligon's. Thought that was a nice pairing. Man, this stuff is super sweet. Smells like a sugary honey with an under note of amber. Won't be buying this one.

Bummer on the scent strength but I am following along. Looking forward to hearing about the others.

Oh ya!!! Back to the days of high school, MTV and roller skating!

So Bruce...tell us how you really feel?
1f60b.png
I'm with you on the soap front of Stirling. But I do like their brushes.
Stirling - YES!!!
1f44d.png
1f44d.png
1f44d.png
1f44d.png
1f44d.png
I'm just going to assume that you guys probably like the Veg - that would explain it.
1f60e.png

Don't get me wrong, they are very successful for a reason. For instance, their AS is great, IMO. Love the Barbershop flavor.

2018 shave #301 (DE:103 SE:89 Str:107 Cart:3)
Merkur 38c w/ Feather (2)
RazoRock synth
Siliski Citrus
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2 in 1

Today was an exact repeat of yesterday, but I changed the soap to Citrus. Again, the scent is pretty low. There is some citrus there, and maybe something else, like a clay earthy type scent. But it's so weak it's really hard to determine anything for sure. This is really, REALLY bumming me out. The performance out-standing! Rich rich lather, cushion, and feels super good after the shave. I might say it trades some of that post shave lotion/hydration feeling for slickness as it's not snot slick, but to me, this is even better than just off the charts slickness. I can't say it's the best soap base I've ever used, but only because I would have to compare the top contenders side by side and really get into the nitty gritty. I think it just being in the pos
ition of possibly having that spot says enough. Now if I can get them to just bump up the scent some. I've never contacted a vendor, but in this case I will because I like it so much.

I should add, once I get through these I'll put some samples in the sample swap library for ya'll.

More scent disappointment, darn it! Maybe it would be a good base soap for a superlather with something stronger?

Back