The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

I am going to do a video on blade chatter to address those concerns as blade chatter can lead to some pretty serious racing stripes as we try to over compensate for it, dont ask me how I know, it was one of the things that almost had me bail on Str8 shaving and caused some of my most serious injuries, including the famous "shavette incident" LOL

....the famous "shavette incident" LOL
If this is the same implement that you loaned to me, I too still have a scar, and not just a physical one. This is why I want no part in trying a Wex.
1f60e.png

If this is the same implement that you loaned to me, I too still have a scar, and not just a physical one. This is why I want no part in trying a Wex.
1f60e.png
I am going to do a video on blade chatter to address those concerns as blade chatter can lead to some pretty serious racing stripes as we try to over compensate for it, dont ask me how I know, it was one of the things that almost had me bail on Str8 shaving and caused some of my most serious injuries, including the famous "shavette incident" LOL

I wonder if this is why you two guys were scared to death when i got that half DE shavette that has since fallen apart.

1f60e.png

Yes Chris it is, now I use one some of the time at the shop, LOL no fears anymore but indeed it was a killer, and yes TJ that is why, LOL

I’m glad I didn’t catch wind of the “shavette incident” before I jumped in the deep end. I was already nervous enough with that Personna shavette.

I’m glad I didn’t catch wind of the “shavette incident” before I jumped in the deep end. I was already nervous enough with that Personna shavette.

it was Ugly and painful for both of us a few yrs ago, LOL

2018 shave #287 (DE:96 SE:86 Str:102 Cart:3)
Parker Variant w/ Israeli Personna (1)
Sorrentino Oregon State
Storybook Soapworks Hallward's Dream
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2 in 1
Storybook Soapworks Hallward's Dream AS

Last night I felt like I was fighting a cold and went to bed a little early. So I took the easy road with the DE this morning. Didn't get a lot of experience with the Variant before pursuing straights again and I forgot which blade I found worked in it. If I remember correctly it was so-so with the blade I started with and great once I changed the blade. It was a tad harsh this morning, so I think it must be the Feather I like in this one. Did the decreasing shave. Started on a setting of 3, then 2 1/2 for the next pass and 2 for the last pass. Did end up with an excellent no clean-up BBS. And guys, if you
have never tried Storybook, you really should. I felt like I was reintroduced to them this morning and totally forgot how amazing the slickness can be with it. One of those shaves you wish didn't stop.

And guys, if you have never tried Storybook, you really should. I felt like I was reintroduced to them this morning and totally forgot how amazing the slickness can be with it. One of those shaves you wish didn't stop.

This is exactly how I feel every I use a SBSW soap. I'm not sure why I don't use it more...but every time I do...I am pleasantly surprised!

Nice shave Dave. Sold my Variant as I didn't like the fact it doesn't hold the blade rigid, but it turned into a brush so all is good. Gotta get to my Storybooks soaps again too. Hope you and Don get to feeling better. You both seem to be fighting something off...................interesting

Nice shave Dave. Sold my Variant as I didn't like the fact it doesn't hold the blade rigid, but it turned into a brush so all is good. Gotta get to my Storybooks soaps again too. Hope you and Don get to feeling better. You both seem to be fighting something off...................interesting
Was interesting, it sure did feel like it was vibrating a lot after using stiff blades.

2018 shave #288 (DE:97 SE:86 Str:102 Cart:3)
Parker Variant w/ Israeli Personna (2)
Custom synth
Storybook Soapworks Hook
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2 in 1
Storybook Soapworks Hook AS

I wanted to use another Storybook soap so Don could have another vicarious shave if he didn't remember to use one himself. I thought about switching out the blade on the Variant to a Feather, but though the shave was scratchy yesterday, the result was great, so I decided I'll get at least one more shave out of it. Same experience. Scratchy razor, awesome soap with lots of residual slickness and nice soft feeling after. This is a RX level BBS and awesome post shave feel. I applied the aftershave in a KJ fashion with two applications to the face. I'll soaking in the leath
er scent and loving it.

Back