The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

What? WHAT?? Now more pressure? Mind. Blown.

I get what you are saying. I had to read it 4 times and think about, but I understand. Might have to give it another shot. Maybe better luck with the Weck or the Gold Dollar for less blade flex too?
I was a bit confusing but at least I understand what I think I meant to say...and thats all that matters. If you have a guard for your weck try putting that on, it will help to confirm you are using the right angle. With the blade and angle being correct only the pressure and committed stroke will be in question.

BTW guys, we had to edit out the lawn mower GIF DaveinKY posted a few days ago. For some reason the image was corrupted and not showing correctly. To keep things running smooth on the back end we removed it.

BTW guys, we had to edit out the lawn mower GIF DaveinKY posted a few days ago. For some reason the image was corrupted and not showing correctly. To keep things running smooth on the back end we removed it.
No worries here. Sorry!! I noticed things were wonky for awhile. Maybe Dave will film his dance next time he mows.

It was a pretty corrupting sight, that’s for sure...

ummmm, Starks are incredibly sharp and depending on the blade what CBL may be true, but most of his blades are 3/4 hollow sso they approach a wedge is bevel a slight decrease in Angle of Attack and a bit lighter grip may be the ticket. You will get it figured out

ummmm, Starks are incredibly sharp and depending on the blade what CBL may be true, but most of his blades are 3/4 hollow sso they approach a wedge is bevel a slight decrease in Angle of Attack and a bit lighter grip may be the ticket. You will get it figured out
I’ll give it a shot!

....sometimes just tightening....your grip on the razor can be helpful....
....a bit lighter grip may be the ticket....
1f60e.png

Chris: Tighten the grip
Dave: Lighten the grip

Clear as mud.

Chad: Don't cut yourself and have fun!

2018 shave #28 (DE:95 SE:86 Str:102 Cart:3)
Jerry Stark 5/8
Sorrentino Seafoam
GTB
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2 in 1
GTB AS
GTB EdP

Switched up a few things. A bit more of an angle, though about keeping the blade moving. A lot more chatter of the blade today. Was really tuggy and uncomfortable feeling. I did 2 passes with the Stark and did end up with with more hair removal than last time, but I was worried about the condition of my face if I went for pass 3. I finished with the Timeless for a BBS. I was ready for the alum fire again, but there was much less than I thought there would be. A few stinging spots on my cheeks and neck, but not everywhere.

Littlest one is off at Outdoor Ed this week. Everyone gets a week off at an educational camp on 6th grade. Interesting how the family dynamic changes when one of them is gone. Which one of you poor fellas was thinking about kid #3? Chad I believe? Put your cards on the table and stay on that 17 buddy.

Yes my wife would like to try for kid 3 eventually. Personally I am happy with 2 and don't think 3 will happen.

Great stuff, Dave. It can be tough figuring out the straight, since everyone's skin, face, and facial hair are just different enough that the exact same technique doesn't necessarily work for everyone. Most people would probably be afraid watching me shave my chin and upper lip, but it's something I had to work out for myself since almost all the techniques used by others that I tried just didn't work for me. Now that it's worked out I can get it BBS with no irritation or blood and don't need to think about it too much(and yes, it does require pressure lol). Time, patience, and documenting what works and what doesn't will be the ticket for straight razor nirvana, and you'll get there if you stick with it.

Great stuff, Dave. It can be tough figuring out the straight, since everyone's skin, face, and facial hair are just different enough that the exact same technique doesn't necessarily work for everyone. Most people would probably be afraid watching me shave my chin and upper lip, but it's something I had to work out for myself since almost all the techniques used by others that I tried just didn't work for me. Now that it's worked out I can get it BBS with no irritation or blood and don't need to think about it too much(and yes, it does require pressure lol). Time, patience, and documenting what works and what doesn't will be the ticket for straight razor nirvana, and you'll get there if you stick with it.
Says the guy that shaves with an axe.....

Nice read, if you are getting blade chatter after changing the Angle ( one Spine width off the face ) then it is hydration IMHO, the soap is too dry, Thick, and fluffy or too much volume, hydrate, thin and slicken the soap. It should look sloppy wet on your face , begin very very shiny. For a good str8 shave you cannot use the same type of lather, lathering techniques and same volume or you will get this. I have also found that once over to str8 shaving, soaps that you thought were great, may need to be left to the DE or SE's only. It takes a good soap to play well with a straight

I think the lather on the 100th shave was pretty wet. That's one of the problems pointed out on the video.

Back