The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

Great shave! So RAD killa?
Very likely. I don't think I had a lot of RAD in the first place. More of just try one TTO, one 3-piece, one slant, etc. But then liking the RX so much I wanted to find something nice and heavy like that to use for a DE. So now I have (or will have) three of those. I think I'll be good and just continue on with my SAD. And my now evolving BAD thanks to Eric.

2018 shave #255 (DE:88 SE:83 Str:81 Cart:3)
Rockwell 6S, plate #5 w/ Feather (3)
Soap Club Warrior of Howling Fjord
Custom synth
Alum
Witch Hazel
Tommy Bahama St Kitts

Took the 6S up a notch with plate 5. Again, more details in the video. But again, this shave rocked. Totally awesome BBS that I will say rilvals the RX. There was some blade feel, but no irritation and the smoothness was still there. Months ago I had pretty much decided that I would mostly shave with SEs or straights. This changes everything, but I hope to keep the variety I have. Just more reasons to use a DE now.

Drove over the Golden Gate to a little town just north of there for an art show. Small, but juried show with many very good artists. Spent too much on a couple of pieces. One for us and one for my mom for Christmas, then stopped in at their fancy grocery store for a bottle of wine and cheese for tonight. Then some scent sampling and lunch at a mall before coming back home for yard work. Nice day without kids. Now binging the new Jack Ryan series.

I did some research...supposedly WoHF is not a clone, but it’s inspired by Creed Silver Mountain Water.

Very likely. I don't think I had a lot of RAD in the first place. More of just try one TTO, one 3-piece, one slant, etc. But then liking the RX so much I wanted to find something nice and heavy like that to use for a DE. So now I have (or will have) three of those. I think I'll be good and just continue on with my SAD. And my now evolving BAD thanks to Eric.

You need, and I do mean NEED a Bespoke Damascus Shavette!

2018 shave #255 (DE:88 SE:83 Str:81 Cart:3)
Rockwell 6S, plate #5 w/ Feather (3)
Soap Club Warrior of Howling Fjord
Custom synth
Alum
Witch Hazel
Tommy Bahama St Kitts

Took the 6S up a notch with plate 5. Again, more details in the video. But again, this shave rocked. Totally awesome BBS that I will say rilvals the RX. There was some blade feel, but no irritation and the smoothness was still there. Months ago I had pretty much decided that I would mostly shave with SEs or straights. This changes everything, but I hope to keep the variety I have. Just more reasons to use a DE now.

Drove over the Golden Gate to a little town just north of there for an art show. Small, but juried show with many very good artists. Spent too much on a couple of pieces. One for us and one for my mom for Christmas, then stopped in at their fancy grocery store for a bottle of wine and cheese for tonight. Then some scent sampling and lunch at a mall before coming back home for yard work. Nice day without kids. Now binging the new Jack Ryan series.
Great shave and afternoon!

Yesterday's shave:

2018 shave #256 (DE:89 SE:83 Str:81 Cart:3)
Rockwell 6S, plate #6 w/ Feather (1)
Soap Club The Novelist
RazoRock synth
Alum
Witch Hazel
V's Barbershop Tonic

I'm getting lazy with putting in a journal entry when I do a video. Yesterday I tried out plate numero 6 for the 6S. I think I could handle this plate, but probably not every day. And I would need to think about the pressure, where as plates 4&5 were pretty much autopilot to get a great result. I did have a little soreness on the neck with this one and there's the beauty of this. I can just flip the plate over and tone it down. Or drop down to three because I need to give my neck a break. Good stuff. The Novelist is not what I think of when I think of a writer. To me, this was an Aventus clone. Which is fine, but then don't call it the novelist. Make a soap with leather book covers, maybe candle wax and printing ink and call it the novelist.

It sounds like the Rockwell is working for you Dave. I am attracted to the flexibility of that system.

2018 shave #257 (DE:90 SE:83 Str:81 Cart:3)
Timeless w/ Feather (2)
Stirling Piacenza
Sorrentino Oregon State
Alum
Witch Hazel
Missoni

I thought I'd go to my new gold standard for a mild shave. But I didn't know how many shaves the ole Wilkinson Sword had on it that was in there. So, I moved the Feather over and did not get the mild shave I was planning on. I had some neck irritation and some alum sting. I'm curious if the Feather was that much more aggressive in this one than the Sword, or I had more leftover rawness on my neck than I thought I did. I think it's the blade though. This will be interesting if it ends up being the only razor I don't use a Feather in.

2018 shave #258 (DE:91 SE:83 Str:81 Cart:3)
Timeless w/ Wilkinson Sword (1)
TOBS Eaton College
Omega boar
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2 in 1
TOBS Eaton College EdC

Long ago I acquired a boar brush which wasn't my favorite. I quickly gave it to the girls because I heard women like a boar brush for their legs. Well, as soon as one of them asked to borrow one of my synth brushes, the boar was never used again. This morning, I figured I would revisit it and rescued said brush from the back corner of their counter. It wasn't at scratchy as I remember. Not really scratchy at all, but no backbone to speak of. It worked fine. I got a good lather and it splayed easily to spread it around. Just no skin massaging to be had.

Back to the Sword for the Timeless and I think I'll just make that the exclusive blade for that one. Nice mild shave with easy BBS. No reason to mess around with that.

....Back to the Sword for the Timeless and I think I'll just make that the exclusive blade for that one. Nice mild shave with easy BBS. No reason to mess around with that.

It's interesting how certain razors "like" certain blades.

The synth I had the wife claimed it before I could even try it.

Synths are inexpensive and a really good value. You should buy her a Stirling one for Christmas. 10$ you can have a brush to give her that looks and feels like a 100$ brush and she may never know!

Back