The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

Texas on Fire is smoke

I like smoke, gunpowder, and leather combinations, but just smoke is not for me.
To me it smelled like you have been burning wood and then poured water on it. the ensuing smell is what it smelled like to me. That is why I had a problem with it because it reminds me of when I was walking through the remains of the house after the fire and water still dripping everywhere and still seeing the last puffs of smoke from the water putting out the embers.....

2021 shave #226 (DE:83 SE:67 Str:76 Cart:0) - 1118 days of consecutive shaving
Feather SS w/ Feather Proguard (5)
Declaration Grooming Sweet Lemon
Paladin Brush
Alum
Thayers Lemon
Nivea 2:1
Declaration Grooming Sweet Lemon AS

Yesterday I filled with errands for myself which ended up with adding several bottles to the “bar”. I started at a Mexican shop in the city which luckily was having its first soft open day since the pandemic. They have another shop and restaurant in San Diego. Met the owner couple and the guy was happy to talk to me about mezcales and gave me a few suggestions for easing into mezcal in a mellow sweet way. Then ran across my dream Octomore and walked out without it. I figured I’ve been spending more than enough on other stuff and couldn’t justify spending that much on myself. Texted my wife just to let her know thinking I was proud of myself. She said she didn’t understand why I would blind buy other bottles and yet pass up one I know I want. This is when Nurse Dave did a 180 on the sidewalks of SF and went to procure said bottle. To justify it to myself, I’ll be saving it to celebrate finishing grad school in a year.

Today was other errands that needed to be done. All completed, I sit on the deck with a cigar, listening to a book about cigars.

Oh, this “Sweet Lemon” is okay. But when I came upstairs my wife said I smell like coconut.
2C4DC7A6-B937-4ECF-9004-FF5F13E80F96.jpeg

2021 shave #227 (DE:84 SE:67 Str:76 Cart:0) - 1119 days of consecutive shaving
Rockwell 6S w/ Wizamet (3)
Stirling Pearberry
Stirling synth
Alum
Thayers Lemon
Tommy Bahama St Kitts

If you enjoy hanging out in those stores in the mall filled with liquid soaps and candles and swoon and overly sweet, generic, teen scents, this soap is for you!

Oops, here's Tuesday:

2021 shave #228 (DE:84 SE:68 Str:76 Cart:0) - 1120 days of consecutive shaving
Occam OREN w/ Feather Proguard (6)
A&E Vanille de Tabac
Paladin Brush of Shame
Alum
Thayers Lemon
Le Labo Tabac 28
2221F683-80F5-41EA-825D-50BFE790C96B.jpeg

2021 shave #229 (DE:84 SE:69 Str:76 Cart:0) - 1121 days of consecutive shaving
Blacklands Vector w/ Schick Proline (2)
The Sudsy Soapery Citrus & Bay
Sorrentino Oregon State
Alum
Thayers Lemon
V's Barbershop Tonic
Yardley Equity talc

I remember that really loved the smell of this tonic. My wife not so much so I figured I'd grace the few people I see at work with it. This is what I think of when I think of traditional shaving.
6AD09252-7B51-48F6-B0AB-42BF444EE13F.jpeg

Back