The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

Months ago we tackled one side of the garage and finally got around to the other side this weekend. One added shelving unit and about 20 Target plastic bins later it's looking much better.
So you are saying you finally got around to finish organizing your soaps and fragrances, to make room for inks and pens...

2019 shave #254 (DE:111 SE:86 Str:55 Cart:0) - 404 days of consecutive shaving
Blacklands Vector "Merlin" w/ Schick Proline (5)
Omega Boar
Strop Shoppe London Morning
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2:1
V's Barbershop Tonic

To quote Rich, Hello my friends! It's a gloomy grey morning, still in the beginning of the week and I have a nail in my car tire. But to quote Tim, life is good! The dolphins were screaming this morning after Merlin did his work. The boar brush I have only used maybe once or twice and I had totally forgotten how much softer it gets after soaking up some water. When I first felt how stiff it was dry I was a little surprised I even kept it on the shelf. Now I know why. The knot is a little long for me so it ends up being pretty floppy, but it did a good job of making me some fine lather.

Had the low tire indicator on Friday driving home and found the nail on Saturday. Costco is the closest place to us for repairs and the only one within walking distance of my work. But what a circus their tire center is on a daily basis. My wife made an appointment for me online for this morning, so we'll see how that goes. And for @GearNoir, we're clocking in at 3 free lunches this week!

Last edited:
Costco is one of the few that does the does the Nitrogen fill if I am not mistaken. Nitrogen filled tires really do stay within pressure range better and seem to make a difference in over all fuel and tire mileage (maybe it's pressure related, maybe its more..but its worth the effort)

Costco is one of the few that does the does the Nitrogen fill if I am not mistaken. Nitrogen filled tires really do stay within pressure range better and seem to make a difference in over all fuel and tire mileage (maybe it's pressure related, maybe its more..but its worth the effort)
Well it was a bust for me. Yes, they do nitro tires, which my wife has on her Beemer. I got there for my appointment only to be told that 4 months ago they changed their policy and will no longer fix tires that weren't purchased there. After I got done steaming about that and needing to get this done before my next meeting, I went to a place in the next town they suggested. Got right in, not crazy busy. Think I found my new tire shop.

2019 shave #255 (DE:111 SE:86 Str:56 Cart:0) - 405 days of consecutive shaving
Feather SS w/ Feather Proguard (3)
Stirling synth
Sapone Di Paolo Terroso
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2:1
Marc-Antoine B683

Today was one of those you pay for what you get shaves. Finally got back to the SS, and boy have I gotten spoiled. Half way through the shave I was thinking about how long it was taking. That Vector can just ruin a guy. At the end of the 2nd pass my cheeks were BBS and my neck was much cleaner than it's ever been after two passes. There wasn't any irritation, but immediately I was thinking of the alum sting I'd be feeling as a result of this. 3rd pass got the neck BBS and then it was lit up pretty well with the alum.

Today should be a decent day. Nothing I HAVE to go to today, but Grand Rounds today so I'll hit that up for some free lunch and a continuing education credit. And nothing I have to do after work. Now I just need to think of something to make for dinner.

Well it was a bust for me. Yes, they do nitro tires, which my wife has on her Beemer. I got there for my appointment only to be told that 4 months ago they changed their policy and will no longer fix tires that weren't purchased there. After I got done steaming about that and needing to get this done before my next meeting, I went to a place in the next town they suggested. Got right in, not crazy busy. Think I found my new tire shop.
That's crazy. I guess Costco really isn't in the tire shop business. When I asked about getting tires for my truck they told me they only put manufacturer recommended size and brand on the vehicle...my oversize truck tires are not an option. Price wise they are better than dealer so it makes sense if you are running a newer car and put on a lot of miles and still have a lot of months on your loan, you might save a few bucks on tires. We have a few America's tire stores near us that do free repair and inflation (no nitrogen though) so getting a quick repair is pretty easy. They will do tire rotations too but I think they charge a small fee for that.

With all the traffic drama you deal with I bet a mobile service that comes to your office while you work would be pretty nice. Maybe you can parlay a weeks worth of free lunches into a mobile car wash and service. Maybe ask the guy to fill the tank while he's at it and laugh while he tries to figure out where the gas tank is.

Back