The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

2019 shave #143 (DE:66 SE:39 Str:39 Cart:0) - 292 days of consecutive shaving
Merkur 38c w/ Feather (3)
RazoRock synth
Razor Master Toivo
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2:1
Imaginary Authors A City on Fire

Decided to finish up the three-peat with this blade to empty the razor out. Also called a late audible. I had brought another soap in to the bathroom with me but then I thought about my smoky soap. Last time I used this, I was getting strong notes of kerosene and worried it had turned or something. A sample was sent into the soap library and I snuck a sniff of that one. Nice pure smoke. So I pulled mine out and got that nice camp fire smell again so decided it was time to go full manly and go for it. This soap sticks around, so I tend not to use it when I'll be in meetings and such. This morning I do have to go to the safety huddle, which is in a small crowded room, so caution is in the wind. Good shave, good scent. I did get little whiffs of the kerosene here and there. But I'm sure it's not the soap that's changed since it wasn't there constantly. I'm guess I've just gotten a little sensitive to the smoky scents and maybe picking up on underlying notes?

While I was shaving I was thinking I really need to find a smoky scent to go with stuff like this. Maison Margiela has a scent of line based on experiences called Replica. They have one called By The Fireplace, which starts out nice and smokey with a sweet note, but it dries down sweeter and sweeter like a marshmallow. I've seen it in Sephoria's if you want to check it out. But I'm not looking for sweet. Then I remember! So to throw risky behavior on top of everything I go for the big gun and use the A City on Fire sample from Imaginary Authors. I believe it was Eric that cautioned me on this one, so I only did two little sprays. Mmmmmm, good stuff! After a few minutes I had to get pretty close to my wrist to smell it. So right before leaving I added on one good size spray. I need to get some of this! Just to keep myself in check, I asked the next person walking into our work space if they could smell anything when they came through the door. Nope, so next time I'm clear for full on beast mode! Since I'm already at Noir length for this entry, I thought I'd post what they have on the website about this scent because their descriptions are always interesting.

A brilliantly dark graphic novel, A City On Fire, is the story of two match-makers. Rupert literally fabricates matches in a factory on the waterfront while Frances writes a dating column for the city’s newspaper. Both are recluses who haunt the night’s shadows observing clandestine activities from afar but never partaking. That changes one fortuitous evening when they are both witness to the same high-profile murder and are forced to come together as an unlikely vigilante pair in order to save their own names.

Imaginary Authors developed this fragrance exclusively for Machus, a modern menswear retailer focused on forward concepts and clean classics in Portland’s Lower East Burnside neighborhood.

WHEN TO WEAR THIS FRAGRANCE: The refined smoke accord makes this an austere and luxurious scent for evenings on the town, whether with a special someone or alone and looking for trouble.

PERFUME NOTES: Cade oil, Spikenard, Cardamom, Clearwood, Dark Berries, Labdanum & Burnt Match

“When I saw you, all I saw was a swirl of smoke in the streetlight. Elusive. Sinister. Spectacular.”

-Machus

I will never understand the appeal to smell like a campfire.

2019 shave #144 (DE:66 SE:39 Str:39 Cart:0) - 293 days of consecutive shaving
Rockwell 6S w/ Feather (3)
Sorrentino Sea Foam
Wholly Kaw Tempest
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2:1
Penhaligon's Opus 1870

This soap has got to be as close as you can get to scentless without being there. It smells like....air? A touch of ozone maybe? Nothing for anyone to really like or dislike with this one. Not even that Tide scent of most "fresh" soaps that Chad likes. The lather and all was great as should be expected from WK. And topped of with a lovely scent.

Woke up at 2am with work stuff in my head. Draaaaaaging today.

Last edited:
What's wrong with a fresh smelling soap? The real disgrace around this place is that we have at least 3 members who don't like Oreos! It's AMERICAS cookie and they DON'T like it!

Back