The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

I think you used the wrong soap today.
Lol that’s what I was thinking!
Well, here's my story. I opened my TSC anniversary box in Oregon and ended up leaving at least CBL's soap up there. But I did use it once and thought it was awesome. So trigger buying the Tom Ford. I do have more arriving from Mr CBL, but it won't be until today and I was antsy to smell like heaven.

To be clear, I'll be getting the other tub back when my daughter goes up to see grandpa and grandma this summer.

2019 shave #123 (DE:57 SE:33 Str:36 Cart:0) - 272 days of consecutive shaving
Super Speed w/ Feather (2)
Plissoft knot in Shave Revolution handle
CBL Lemon
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2:1
Truefitt and Hill West Indian Lime EdC

If you are a frequent viewer of Nurse Dave's Shaving World, as I am, you'll know that I really dig the scent of lemons. Well not lemons, but lemon juice. Like when you've squeezed a lemon wedge and you try to sniff that heavenly scent on your fingers while not being obviously about it in a nice restaurant. So am I kidding? I just stick my finger under my nose and take a deep breath in while my eyes roll back in my head. Anyway... Lemon is a lovely scent. So I asked Mr @CBLindsay if he would be so kind to whoop me up a batch of the most in-your-face, straight-up lemon that he could.

Scent off the tub was lemon. But, as warned by the proprietor of CBL Soaps himself, there was a lemon pledge note to it. This was not a non-starter, but also a slight difference from pure lemon. No worries, I was happy to have my lemon. As I'm sure by this point in your reading your'e happy for me. This is a super soft soap, pretty much a cream. I'm wondering if that is an effect of all the oils he had to throw in there to make the scent so strong. It was a radical 11/10 from the tub. Good work sir. On lathering, BOOOOM!!! Lemon! More towards the straight up lemon than the pledge kind. Ooooh so nice. I had the pleasure of slathering this stuff all over my face where the scent increased to a good 12/10. This is how I like my scents usually. Smack me in the face and I love you or I hate you. Lets not just stand at a distance and be friends. This scent is VERY close to T&H West Indian Lime and you have to think if it's lime or lemon that you're smelling. What a coincidence. I just happen to have some West Indian Lime to wear after the shave.

CBL, nice cushion, nice slicknes, blah blah. Upon starting my 2nd pass, things started getting a little tingly. Then just a slight touch more tingly. I knew I was reacting to the soap. I did a good solid rinse after the 2nd pass before applying the lather for the last pass. I guess in @dangerousdon's world this would be between the penultimate and ultimate passes. The third pass brought with it more intense tingling a touch of stinging. I again assume this must be related to the liberal glugging of essential oils require to achieve scent nirvana. A kudos for Chris to pushing it to the wall for me. Ended the shave, did a through cold water rinse and had no lasting effects. I will not shy away from using this, but I will relegate it to when I'm doing an easy shave where I know the passes will be quicker.

Bravo @CBLSoap.com

I sure hope the reaction isn’t severe enough to separate you from such lemony goodness! Great Dave!

That sounds absolutely wonderful! Minus the stinging of course.

So, when life gives @NurseDave lemons, he rubs them on his fingers and sniffs them??? Or gets them turned into shave soap.

It sounds like a fun soap, but I think it might make my face explode.

My mouth started watering just reading your description of that soap lol. If I wasn't about 99% sure that it would light me up I'd probably try to order a tub as well.

2019 shave #124 (DE:57 SE:34 Str:36 Cart:0) - 273 days of consecutive shaving
Asylum “The Doctor” RX w/ Schick Pro
Stirling synth
CBL Breakfast Blend
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2:1
Penhaligon’s Endymion EdC

After @uacowboy’s experience, I had to try the coffee next. The scent on lathering is very similar to Cafe au Lait from A&E. A coffee scent with a creamy softening and a touch of chocolate or nuttiness. My shaving experience was very similar to Kyle’s and yesterday’s lemon shave. A slight tingling at the end of the 1st pass building to a slight burning by the end of the last pass. If anyone will figure out what might be causing it, it’s Mr @CBLSoap.com

Back