The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

2019 shave #112 (DE:50 SE:30 Str:34 Cart:0) - 261 days of consecutive shaving
Vector w/ Schick Proline (1)
TSC Legacy
The Club Wake the F Up
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2:1
Missoni

I'm 90% sure I have my opinion of the Vector dialed in, but thought I'd get a couple more shaves in with it while I have it in hand. I reached my magic number for shaves on an SE blade, so decided to pull a new company at random to see how it did. The Schick felt like the SE version of a Wilkinson Sword. Smoother than the Feather, but also a touchy tuggy because it's not as sharp. En thirty six. It did feel as though one could get a great shave with a little more of a safety margin built in before hitting the alum sting on the neck.

This shave as concreted the opinion that the resulting shave is better than an RX when looked at on a consistency basis. I got another Dolphin screaming BBS with no alum sting. So again, if outcome was all that matter, I would be a Vector convert. But the experience is boring. As a result, the handle of the SR-71 is now sporting the head of the Vector to remind me to do something differently tomorrow. I was planning on using that handle, but maybe @Dave in KY has it right and I should just take one step up and use the RX handle. I'll say, the Vector head looks very silly and namsy pamsy on the SR-71 handle.

Weekend was decent. Hamilton was better than I was expecting and the music was better than all the clips and short performances I've seen on TV. Due to constraints in how you're allowed to buy tickets, I sat away from the rest of the family, but I was in an end seat in a last row so lots of nice leg room and not crowded so all that stuff didn't distract from the performance. Yesterday, I forgot that Easter shuts down all the stores so the shopping I told my daughter we would do needs to be put off.

Stinks you had to sit separately for the production! I hate that, at least when it’s happened at movie theaters where you select your seating.

Bummer the Vector is boring shaves for you. Hope the franken-razor spices it up a bit, though it sounds as if the razor is a no go for you in general.

I'm not alone! Lol I do look forward to the Franken razor shave and we all want to see the pics of that one for sure.

2019 shave #113 (DE:50 SE:31 Str:34 Cart:0) - 262 days of consecutive shaving
RX Vector w/ Schick Proline (2)
Sorrentino Sea Foam
Siliski Citrus
Alum
Witch Hazel
Atelier Vetiver Fatal pure perfume

Video posted my brothers. I swapped out the handle for that from the RX trying to add a little weight to this thing. I have a feeling a lot of the weight of the RX is in the head because I didn't feel a lot of difference, though there is some. And a better feeling grip. What weight that was added didn't seem detrimental to the shave. I'm feeling the same way about the Schick blade. Not totally digging the feel during the shave, but the results are great. Maybe we just need to coat the whole thing in black to make it look tougher.

2019 shave #113 (DE:50 SE:31 Str:34 Cart:0) - 262 days of consecutive shaving
RX Vector w/ Schick Proline (2)
Sorrentino Sea Foam
Siliski Citrus
Alum
Witch Hazel
Atelier Vetiver Fatal pure perfume

Video posted my brothers. I swapped out the handle for that from the RX trying to add a little weight to this thing. I have a feeling a lot of the weight of the RX is in the head because I didn't feel a lot of difference, though there is some. And a better feeling grip. What weight that was added didn't seem detrimental to the shave. I'm feeling the same way about the Schick blade. Not totally digging the feel during the shave, but the results are great. Maybe we just need to coat the whole thing in black to make it look tougher.

Ya, that would be a nice touch. I do worry about the close tolerances of these modern DEs. I don't think I'd risk it with the RX the way the base plate slides into the head. But the Vector seems like it should be ok.

2019 shave #114 (DE:50 SE:32 Str:34 Cart:0) - 263 days of consecutive shaving
SR-Vector w/ Schick Proline (3)
Razorock synth
Oleo Soapworks Empire
Alum
Witch Hazel
Oleo Soapworks Empire AS

Well, this is the combo folks. That beefy handle from the SR-71 with the head from the Vector. It finally felt heavy enough and the resulting shave was the best of all of them. I did get the slightest tiny spot of alum sting. Hard to know if that was from the added weight or just random variation in the shave. Would I reach for this combo often? I don't know yet. It looks silly. BUT, I can say another difference between the Vector and the RX is that I know I could use the Vector every day. The RX is just a hair on that side of too aggressive that at some point my skin would need a break from it. I have reached out to the company to inquire about purchasing just the head and plate but haven't heard back.

At work we got over a few big hurdles that distracted from every day work. So my boss has said she's going to try to set-up interviews for me next week. I'm dying to know if there are other applicants, but it wouldn't be appropriate to ask and she shouldn't tell me. But I've gotten a copy of the questions they use and started preparing general responses to them. Also I need a haircut bad. So I didn't wear the dress shirt and tie today with the plans for sneaking out this morning to get it done. I'm just hoping to don't get pulled for an impromptu meeting in my casual state.

Already doing the job, might as well make it official!

Get out there and knock the socks off the day!

Yesterday's shave:

2019 shave #115 (DE:50 SE:33 Str:34 Cart:0) - 264 days of consecutive shaving
Asylum "The Doctor" RX w/ Schick Proline (4)
Razorock synth
CBL Cigar Shop Cowboy
Alum
Witch Hazel
GTB EdP

What's going on around this place? Not even a weekend and I forgot to post my shave. Well, there was a video posted. Shifted the Schick blade back to the original Doctor of awesome shaves.

2019 shave #116 (DE:50 SE:33 Str:35 Cart:0) - 265 days of consecutive shaving
Feather SS w/ Feather Proguard (6)
Sorrentino Oregon State
Storybook Soapworks Hallward's Dream
Alum
Witch Hazel
Storybook Soapworks Hallward's Dream AS

Mercy! That was a bunch of SE shaves in a row! Time to change things up and get some more straight shaves under the belt. It was a conundrum of an occasion. I do want to keep variety and improve that flippin' third pass on my neck with the SS. But I have become accustomed to super BBS shaves as of late. That resulted in chasing the BBS with a Timeless clean-up after the third pass which rewarded me with some handsome alum stinging on the neck. Lets hope that I don't revert to boring shaves just for the result.

Back