The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

Lol that soap name. :ROFLMAO: Good shave man. Are you sure that’s the v2 Hawk? The cap looks flat angled?

Also, I have been looking at R Gauche/barbershop type colognes. What are you thoughts on Sartorial? It came up in my search. You guys talk about Penhaligon’s occasionally, but I’ve never looked up the scent notes till now. May have to go for the sampler set on Amazon at some point.

Coffee Oud soap?!?!?! Why am I just hearing of this? And how do I get some! Is it black coffee scent? Or is it like sweet latte coffee scent?

Coffee Oud soap?!?!?! Why am I just hearing of this? And how do I get some! Is it black coffee scent? Or is it like sweet latte coffee scent?
It was released about a month ago. I wouldn’t say it’s either of those. It’s coffee with a dark note with a touch of incense. I just may be able to hook you up with a sample ;)
The sweet coffee would be this one

I do not want sweet coffee. I want a cup of black coffee like I drink every morning. I can't find it on the website. Must be sold out

@GearNoir well, I only call it the V2 because that’s how it was labeled in the BST I bought it from.

I don’t know what I would think reading the scent notes of Satorial. That’s why I’m bummed we don’t have a local Pen’s store any more. Satorial to me is a rich and warm scent with amber and a mix of eastern spices and maybe patchouli. I don’t like patchouli, but this is a complex scent where it plays a supporting role rather than standing out.

In general I like Pen’s scents because they aren’t shy. They tend to be complex and they have a ton of scents to match any mood you might be in.

@Cvargo have you tried the coffee scent from Storybook Soapworks? I heard that was a good clean coffee scent. I was about to order that too, but decided I should wait to see how these two smell.

@GearNoir well, I only call it the V2 because that’s how it was labeled in the BST I bought it from.
View attachment 603

I don’t know what I would think reading the scent notes of Satorial. That’s why I’m bummed we don’t have a local Pen’s store any more. Satorial to me is a rich and warm scent with amber and a mix of eastern spices and maybe patchouli. I don’t like patchouli, but this is a complex scent where it plays a supporting role rather than standing out.

In general I like Pen’s scents because they aren’t shy. They tend to be complex and they have a ton of scents to match any mood you might be in.
OK, that’s definitely a v2 now that I see that angle; it looked like a flat cap in the first photo.

Thanks for your thoughts on Sartorial!

Lol that soap name. :ROFLMAO: Good shave man. Are you sure that’s the v2 Hawk? The cap looks flat angled?

Also, I have been looking at R Gauche/barbershop type colognes. What are you thoughts on Sartorial? It came up in my search. You guys talk about Penhaligon’s occasionally, but I’ve never looked up the scent notes till now. May have to go for the sampler set on Amazon at some point.
Sartorial is not on the Rive Gauche Radar, it is somewhat of a sweet scent with the honey. If I had to describe it is literally a tailor shop in a bottle, the wax of the marking crayon, leather, Wool, Honey, It is a classy scent just wonderful. My opinion R Gauche I would search for the Orginal Rive Gauch pour homme in the Barber Can. It is truly Barbasol in a cologne, the only aftershave that comes near it is Fine American Blend, The EdT and EdP are much more complex but strong and wonderful. The newer version and current of RIve Gauche is more synthetic and not as barbershoppy. Hope That helps Chris

Sartorial is not on the Rive Gauche Radar, it is somewhat of a sweet scent with the honey. If I had to describe it is literally a tailor shop in a bottle, the wax of the marking crayon, leather, Wool, Honey, It is a classy scent just wonderful. My opinion R Gauche I would search for the Orginal Rive Gauch pour homme in the Barber Can. It is truly Barbasol in a cologne, the only aftershave that comes near it is Fine American Blend, The EdT and EdP are much more complex but strong and wonderful. The newer version and current of RIve Gauche is more synthetic and not as barbershoppy. Hope That helps Chris
Thanks Dave!

And THAT is why you want to be able to smell this stuff before you buy
Agreed!

Yesterday's shave. I took a picture so I could remember ;)

2019 shave #77 (DE:36 SE:18 Str:23 Cart:0) - 226 days of consecutive shaving
Feather SS w/ Feather Proguard (4)
Stirling synth
A&E Cafe au Lait
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2:1

I love the smell of this soap. I wish the strength was two notches higher which is surprising because the A&E soaps are usually up there in scent strength. It's not weak, I would just like to wallow in it though. This was only the 4th shave with this blade, but it was feeling like it was starting to tug a bit. I usually use the SE blades for 6 shaves, but maybe I got short changed on this one.

Back