The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

Dave, you seem to be really liking the SR 71.. where might you rank that with your other DE's? I thought they were cool looking but wasn't sure how well they would shave.

I might be joining you in the house projects. I might have redo the bath rooms.. they are pretty old and boring. I might paint, fixtures and maybe a new shower door or one of those glass walls.

At the home, I talked to Tesla about getting solar cells on the roof. I was surprised that the cost is a lot less than I thought it would be and that it's worth doing as long as your electric bill is at least $50/month. They should pay for themselves in 6 years or so. So it's a no-brainer. The only hold back is how much fog we get at the house and I still need to ask them about that. But I would encourage anyone to find out about solar in your area. How cool would it be to pay nothing at all for your power as soon as the system is paid off?

We will eventually get solar panels on our roof, before I retire in eight years. Our roof is in good shape, but it's at least 22 years old now, so we'll need to take a look at that as well. Solar just makes good economic and ecological sense.

Dave, you seem to be really liking the SR 71.. where might you rank that with your other DE\'s? I thought they were cool looking but wasn\'t sure how well they would shave. \n\nI might be joining you in the house projects. I might have redo the bath rooms.. they are pretty old and boring. I might paint, fixtures and maybe a new shower door or one of those glass walls.
\nI\'ll have to get back to you. I move around razors so much and my memory is so bad, I have to use them close in time with each other to declare a winner. I\'d certainly say the 71 is in running for #1. As is the Timeless. The only question in my mind is if the 6S is up there as well. So it would be between those 2-3 razors. I realized the Variant, while a nice modern DE doesn\'t keep up with those three and may leave the stable at some point. \n\nOur 2nd bathroom is on my potential list. We paid to have the master done a couple year ago and love it. but since we\'re not changing the layout of the 2nd bathroom, I\'d do it myself to save time. Which of course means a boat load of work for me and thus hesitation to get started. I\'d also wait until the kids are gone for some time in the summer.

You sure stay busy with projects around the house Dave. Wish I could be more disciplined like you and get things done.
Well, with the wife slowing you down with the constant baking left-overs, I'd say it's not all your fault.

2019 shave #7 (DE:4 SE:0 Str:3 Cart:0) - 157 days of consecutive shaving
Feather SS w/ Feather Proguard(3)
Sorrentino TSC Legacy
Storybook Soapworks Visions and Revisions
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2:1
Storybook Soapworks Visions and Revisions AS

I want to take that straight shave whenever I'm in the mood. As of this moment, I don't think I see myself switching to actual straight razors, just purely for the maintenance factor of it. But I would certainly like to build my skills enough to get a BBS with the
sextoblade. Today's shave was better than yesterday. I was just thinking to myself I wish I could trade some of the closeness I'm getting on the cheeks for added closeness on the neck. And the neck was decent today. No clean up and got a dry down BBS in 99% of it. Again, good sign that there wasn't any alum sting. I think when I can rack up several shaves like this in a row I'll try the sextoblade again.

Decently heavy rains all day yesterday with a lot of wind as well. Kept wondering if that will turn into a snow dump for Chad today.

Rains where pretty decent over here too all yesterday...but the winds, those were the killer! A number of outages around town, leaves and limbs flying everywhere. Exciting times!

I'll have to get back to you. I move around razors so much and my memory is so bad, I have to use them close in time with each other to declare a winner. I'd certainly say the 71 is in running for #1. As is the Timeless. The only question in my mind is if the 6S is up there as well. So it would be between those 2-3 razors. I realized the Variant, while a nice modern DE doesn't keep up with those three and may leave the stable at some point.

Our 2nd bathroom is on my potential list. We paid to have the master done a couple year ago and love it. but since we're not changing the layout of the 2nd bathroom, I'd do it myself to save time. Which of course means a boat load of work for me and thus hesitation to get started. I'd also wait until the kids are gone for some time in the summer.

Hmmmm I might have to consider that. I know they carry them at Pasteurs and seems like a great price. If you are saying quality is up there with Timeless that is saying something.
That's disappointing about the Variant. I have heard such great things about it.

This would not be major work to my bathroom. Just enough so it does not look so plain Jane.

You guys should reach out to me before doing solar. I traded energy for years and have been consulting renewable companies(mostly solar farms) after I sold the wine store.
There have been some changes lately and ways to add solar without much if any out of pocket cost. Depending on how things are set up in your state. Just something to consider. And no this is not a sales call. That is not what I do.

industry and can point you to ways before y

\nHmmmm I might have to consider that. I know they carry them at Pasteurs and seems like a great price. If you are saying quality is up there with Timeless that is saying something. \nThat\'s disappointing about the Variant. I have heard such great things about it. \n
\nI wouldn\'t say the Variant is bad at all. It\'s just like comparing soaps and there are your top performers and then there are your elite few. I would say the Variant is a top performer, just not my #1.

I wouldn't say the Variant is bad at all. It's just like comparing soaps and there are your top performers and then there are your elite few. I would say the Variant is a top performer, just not my #1.

got you. But with that I started to push out those that I am not using enough.

Good stuff there on the shave front! Man, you do stay rather busy with projects too.
Well it's kind of trying to make everyone happy that would prefer to move to a larger house. So I'm doing what I can to make things better with the one we're in. Plus, my wife had this house before I met her, so it's kind of like making it out own in a way.

Well it's kind of trying to make everyone happy that would prefer to move to a larger house. So I'm doing what I can to make things better with the one we're in. Plus, my wife had this house before I met her, so it's kind of like making it out own in a way.
I can see it now, next episode of Love it Or List it, My needs list is a larger shave den...................wait, what?!?

I can see it now, next episode of Love it Or List it, My needs list is a larger shave den...................wait, what?!?
We were looking at homes for a short period of time. There needed to at least be a room where the TV with stereo equipment and speakers could go and a place inside for the wine fridges. Homie don't go for those popular in ceiling speakers.

I am sure if you wanted to try a real straight, one of the members would loan you one. If I had a spare that was shave ready, I'd lend you one of mine to see how you like it. Maintaining a straight isn't too bad - kindof therapeutic.

I am sure if you wanted to try a real straight, one of the members would loan you one. If I had a spare that was shave ready, I'd lend you one of mine to see how you like it. Maintaining a straight isn't too bad - kindof therapeutic.
Oh, I have a couple of straights. Been a weird journey because I feel pretty confident with the Feather SS now and just need to fine tune the technique on my neck. But every time I go to the Weck or a real straight, I just get stalling and tugging and frustration. And with the few times with the straight I found the stropping annoying. Possibly because I need to get out and mount my strop each time I use it then put it away. But that's not going to change.

Back