The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

Yup...I need me a Christmas type soap also...I have Jack Frost (for now...) but need something a little more Christmas-y.

2018 shave #330 (DE:122 SE:93 Str:113 Cart:3)
Rockwell 6S, plate 3 w/ Feather (1)

Stirling synth
CBL Three Pines
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2 in 1
Penahligon's Satorial EdT

I got my shipment of CBL soaps in yesterday. Figured I'd start with the Three Pines to compare it to the Stirling I used yesterday. The CBL was much more mild, and after hearing KJ talk about the strength of the scent, I'm left thinking that maybe I'm just not as sensitive to the pine scent CBL used as opposed to Stirling. KJ mentioned the pine note being a touch sweet or something. I get what he's saying. Not that it's really sweet, but the top sharp note is knocked off and it has a rounder scent. Though the heart of the 2 soaps is pretty similar. I would say the difference is Stirling is having your face shoved into the tree and CBL you're sitting in a room with a tree in it. Just depends on what you're looking for. Now the other two CBL soaps that combine the pine with something else did open up my nasal passages right from the tub and I'm really looking forward to trying those.

Forgot what a great shaver the 6S is. Nice BBS with no alum sting at all. Of course again I'll point out, that's a great razor paired with my mad skillz
1f642.png

2018 shave #331 (DE:123 SE:93 Str:112 Cart:3)
Rockwell 6S, plate 3 w/ Feather (2)

Custom synth
CBL Christmas Memories
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2 in 1
Bleu de Chanel

You remember those little red hots candies you got around Valentine's Day? Then remember those times instead of one or two you took a big handful and filled your mouth? That's what this soap is! Scent strength is like 7 out of 5. That's what I'm talkin' about Mr CBL!! Crank it up! All cinnamon with this one for me. The description says orange peel, cranberry and pine as well. Sounds like that might have made a nice blend, but they got blowed out. I had a first happen for me today. I tasted the soap. No, I didn't get any in my mouth. The vapors from the clove or cinnamon oil filled my nasal passages and I could taste cinnamon. WHOOOO boy!!

Oh ya, the shave went well, no alum sting, blah blah blah.

I love Red Hots! I used to get them all the time when I was little. Sounds good to me!

2018 shave #332 (DE:123 SE:93 Str:113 Cart:3)
Feather SS w/ Feather Proguard (5)

RazoRock Synth
CBL Alpine
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2 in 1
Missoni

I'm really wanting to try Watson by CBL, but finished up the pine trio today. Alpine has to be Barber Dave's kryptonite. It's a one-two punch of peppermint and pine. It's interesting, they don't seem to be blended. From the tub I get a hit of peppermint and then like an after scent of pine. I think that Christmas Memories should renamed to Valentine Face Punch or CBL Not-so-subtle Seduction. And then this one can be renamed to Christmas Memories. I guess I'm learning these soaps better because the last two days have been nice and rich lathers. I'm also wondering if Chris slipped in some of his magic cooling stuff into this one. After the first pass, my cheeks started to tingle and get cold like a winter wind. Good stuff.

Shave itself was pretty good. I was going to do 2 clean up strokes with a DE, but felt my face and decided it would likely dry down to a BBS. Which it did without alum sting. So that's pretty good for me and the SS.

We had the tree getting adventure last night. My wife is gone again for business Sun-Wed so get ready for more moaning about that. But I wanted to get the tree up before she left. So just her and I went to Home Depot. We've learned not to bring the kids, because they enjoy just running around playing hide and seek in the trees people are trying to move around to look at. So we started the process of me holding up ever opened tree for rejection and then opening up more trees for further rejection without specifics. Finally land on a good one, which must have been stellar because we passes a guy who got big eyes and wanted to know where we found it. Then after getting it home and carrying it to the back of the house, I have to put it in the stand and hose it off. Never had heard of that until I met my wife, but she insists that the loose needles, dust and spiders (sorry KJ) get washed off. So that means not bringing it inside until the next day. Well last night a storm blew through with some pretty intense winds and rain. I heard the tree fall down right before getting to sleep. So I get dressed, go outside, stand it back up and lean it against the house. I refilled the base and went back to bed. No surprise this morning it was back on the ground. Luckily it had stopped raining and the tree was dry(ish) so I stood it up again and got it inside and refilled again. I'm hoping it wasn't out of the water long enough and it was wet enough outside that the trunk didn't seal up. Will find out when I get home. On a different note, the two new lit up trees we put outside didn't fall over in the wind, so job well done there!

Back