The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

I just need a matching scent. You have grape, do you have anything minty?
For an aftershave with peppermint scented shaving soap/cream, I usually go with something that is either unscented (i.e. Fine Snake Bite, or Witch Hazel, or Sampson's unscented balm, or Paladin unscented balm), or, something "lavendarish" or herbal (i.e. Speick, or Davidoff Cool Water). Lavender really is a nice complement to Peppermint. If you've tried Reef Point "Tranquility" shaving soap, you know exactly what I mean.

Sheck out Oz Shaving's Winter scent if you love peppermint. I have the soap and the AS and they are amazing.
You have my attention!

A shame you’re skin can’t handle menthol, Myrsol Formula K might have been just the ticket! ?

2018 shave #334 (DE:124 SE:94 Str:113 Cart:3)
Asylum "The Doctor" Rx w/ Feather Proguard (4)

Stirling synth
CBL Norse Spice
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2 in 1
Marc-Antoine B683

Back to the land of sane shaves. The Norse Spice is listed as being akin to Viking by Creed. I was excited because I did stop at the Creed boutique in Vegas and Viking was actually the only one I was excited with. I didn't get the sense of Viking from the soap though. I got a moist earthy type of scent. It reminded me very much of another soap that I couldn't place. But I didn't get any rich spicy notes. I did nail the water content on this one today and it was nice and creamy.

BTW, every time I type CBL soaps into my address bar and hit enter, I get search results for it and every time is says "Did you mean CDL soaps". Anyone seen that and been curious? I mean, is someone out there making special soaps for drivers? Maybe the would be interesting. So this time I figured sure, that's what I meant. Show me results for CDL soaps. Nope, no soaps guys. Top link is for Celeb Dirty Laundry.

2018 shave #335 (DE:124 SE:95 Str:113 Cart:3)
Asylum "The Doctor" Rx w/ Feather Proguard (5)

Stirling synth
Siliski Appalachian Forest
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2 in 1
Missoni

Same shave as yesterday with a soap swap. Decided to round out the pine scented soaps with the Siliski. I'd say this is the 2nd strongest of the three with a good 3.5-4/5, but I like it the least. I'd say the name is true, it is forest, not just tree or pine. It's not that I don't like it, but I like the pure pine scent much better. This is like you're among trees with some moss and earth mixed in.

2018 shave #336 (DE:124 SE:96 Str:113 Cart:3)
Asylum "The Doctor" Rx w/ Feather Proguard (6)

Saponificio Varesino 2.0 two-band 26mm Manchurian High Mountain White Badger
Saponificio Varesino Opuntia
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2 in 1
Saponificio Varesino Opuntia AS

I finally got around to fixing my SV brush. I was a little shocked at the lack of customer service from SV. I truly didn't expect them to offer to repair the brush. But my wife did email them with a picture and just stated that she was surprised to see it break after not more than 10 uses likely. There only response was to say we recommend this type of glue and include a picture of the glue. No, we're sorry. No, this usually doesn't happen. Nothing else. Kind of a disappointment from what I've heard can be over the top customer service.

Now, it's still a great performer. Nice dense and luxurious knot. And this soap. If I was forced to make a top 5 scent list, it would constantly be changing, but this would always be included. It's one of those that makes you wish the shave could just keep going. And sad to see any of the lather going down the sink. Did I just miss my opportunity to try mammoth painting?

Back