The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

Yesterday's shave

2018 shave #324 (DE:118 SE:93 Str:111 Cart:3)
Asylum "The Doctor" RX w/ Feather Proguard (3)

Stirling synth
CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2 in 1

This shave is As Seen On TV

2018 shave #325 (DE:118 SE:93 Str:112 Cart:3)
Feather SS w/ Feather Proguard (3)

Sorrentino Chess Piece
Chiseled Face Cinnawood Boroka
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2 in 1
Chiseled Face Cinnawood Boroka AS

Hey guys! Thought I'd put another notch on the straight shave belt. Found out I took too long a break from it and got some irritation on the neck. Ended up with a dry down DFS+ without clean-up. Just need to watch that pressure on the neck. And I don't know why Chiseled Face discontinued this scent. It's my 2nd favorite CF scent for sure.

We lucked out and got a roof guy to stop by yesterday. Long story short, he said it was just a case of water getting into the vent from the bathroom fan and he squished down the vent covers. He did say we're looking at a new roof in a couple of years too, but that really wasn't news just something you don't want to think about. So we had some rain last night and there was no leaking, but I'm still skeptical that was all the problem was. We get some decent windy rain there and if it hasn't happen in the 10 years my wife has owned the house, it seems a little strange it would have happened on a day there wasn't much wind. And the water was dripping out of a light, not the fan. But we have nothing to do but wait and see.

Nice stuff for sure. As to the roof I think we are due in a couple years also. Not really looking forward to that expense.

Here's to hoping he knows what he's doing as a Roofer and is right, while your a good Nurse and wrong
1f60e.png
Ha! Totally spot on!

Nice stuff for sure. As to the roof I think we are due in a couple years also. Not really looking forward to that expense.
In talking with him, he did mention we could do another roof right on top of this one and it would cut the cost almost in half.

Good news on the leak! Hopefully it’s accurate.
In talking with him, he did mention we could do another roof right on top of this one and it would cut the cost almost in half.

Sounds like trouble unless they clean off the old one somehow?

Ya, I asked what the negative is of doing that. He said nothing and that you can have up to three roofs on top of each other. Something I'll have to do more research on for sure.

This varies state to state. In Jersey you can only shingle over an existing roof one time.

We just had 2 estimates done at our house as we’re overdue and have just been really lucky nothing major has happened yet. The last guy that came out told us that while you can shingle over existing shingles, the roofer can’t guarantee the roof and the warranty on the shingles from the manufacturer will be void.

Dave In KY is also right, when it’s time to a roof again, you now have twice the material to remove.

Also, the quote to do a completely new roof instead of shingles over shingles wasn’t really that much more.

Sorry for for the long winded response, this is all just fresh in my mind lol.

I’ll have to look into it. Makes sense that it will be harder to remove later. He did say they remove and reapply the flashings and you do get the full warranty. Total replacement was close to 20k.

First shave of the day:

2018 shave #326 (DE:118 SE:93 Str:113 Cart:3)
Feather SS w/ Feather Proguard (4)

Sorrentino Oregon State
K Shave Worx Snow Dog
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2 in 1
K shave Worx Snow Dog AS

Video posted of this shave. Trying out the Snow Dog from a BST. This stuff is INTESE scent of white lifesaver mints. I was worried that there was some hidden menthol, but nope. Decent performance and scent that isn’t common so good stuff in all. Ended with less alum sting than yesterday, but still a touch on one side of the neck.

Back