The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

My story, I’m sticking to it. Bill

Sunday 10/24/21

Stirling suds, suds whipper & splash - Mountain Man flavored
6/8 TI Evide Sonnant Extra

View attachment 64789

I’m going to try to do a few repeats with this same gear to specifically work on my flatblading skills.

I’m checking my edge beforehand and then after the shave and any edge maintenance I do. I also added the downward stroke and fine tuning my sensitivity in touch. Pre and post shave edge checks are as equal as far as I can ascertain.

I have always targeted comfort over closeness and doubt I’ll be changing any time soon. I’ve gotten closer in the past, but am continually trending upwards.

I bought this shave piece ‘on sale’ for $100, a price that was probably trading dollars so I kicked in a bonus tip on payment to stay balanced. Although 6/8 vs 5/8, it represents what might be considered utilitarian.

My intent was to use it for practice honing before working on items 3x the cost. TI razors have a reputation of being difficult to hone. The tool does lack perfect geometry but I didn’t encounter any specific issues.

The Stirling stuff is uh, well Stirling

Great shave. See those of you attending on Zoom. Wishing all a safe, prosperous and healthy week.
Wonderful razor, Bill! I’ve started incorporating my Swaty hone into my maintenance routine. I’ve found that using it with Smith’s honing oil after a flatblading session really puts things to rights! I hone it on the Swaty until the oil turns black generally after about 15-20 strokes. Then to the pasted Constroption and all is right with the world!

SOTD 10/26/21

Workoff soap
Stirling tuxedo brush
6/8 Thiers Issard Evide Sonnant Extra
Lucky Tiger Face Tonic

1017C3D2-E76E-40C7-872E-318A0648B257.jpeg

When I started my journey in wetshaving, I adopted a philosophy that I was better off making adjustments in what I was doing over what I was using.

This philosophy guided me through many periods of time where I used the exact same gear as a way of making myself the only variable.

It is time for me to apply that philosophy again to improve my skill set in the use of buffing and flatblading techniques.

During today’s shave I realized I need to make a couple of software adjustments. I will be staying with this tool and drop back to Stirling soap and AS of various scents.

Today I went for the full monte and wound up with some red showing from improper something. I will simplify and work on buffing only for now.

I got a bit careless and sloppy and nicked my earlobe mount. Don’t ya wish I had the video going there? The perfect visual aid to help @BarberDave not feel so bad for the face hacking he subjected himself to on Sunday. Just goes to show that even newbies like me cut ourselves too. 😎

Great closeness and face feel. I want to get better. More work to do to loose the little red marks. When I took up straights I committed to the time it would take to shave every day open edge for 100 days. I’m gonna commit the time here in the same way to learn this.

Funny, I used to always sacrifice ‘the baby’ for my own comfort and here I am now trying to learn advanced skills at chasing the baby.

SOTD 10/26/21

Workoff soap
Stirling tuxedo brush
Lucky Tiger Face Tonic

View attachment 64989

When I started my journey in wetshaving, I adopted a philosophy that I was better off making adjustments in what I was doing over what I was using.

This philosophy guided me through many periods of time where I used the exact same gear as a way of making myself the only variable.

It is time for me to apply that philosophy again to improve my skill set in the use of buffing and flatblading techniques.

During today’s shave I realized I need to make a couple of software adjustments. I will be staying with this tool and drop back to Stirling soap and AS of various scents.

Today I went for the full monte and wound up with some red showing from improper something. I will simplify and work on buffing only for now.

I got a bit careless and sloppy and nicked my earlobe mount. Don’t ya wish I had the video going there? The perfect visual aid to help @BarberDave not feel so bad for the face hacking he subjected himself to on Sunday. Just goes to show that even newbies like me cut ourselves too. 😎

Great closeness and face feel. I want to get better. More work to do to loose the little red marks. When I took up straights I committed to the time it would take to shave every day open edge for 100 days. I’m gonna commit the time here in the same way to learn this.

Funny, I used to always sacrifice ‘the baby’ for my own comfort and here I am now trying to learn advanced skills at chasing the baby.
I admire your fortitude, Bill! As you know, after 50 yrs with a Schick Krona and Barbasol, I believe myself incapable of sticking with the same kit every day. No need to punish yourself for a momentary lightness of touch lapse. Happens to all of us. The only consistency of my shaving regimen is it’s inconsist! I’ll follow your disciplined approach with interest. My discipline is indiscipline! 😆

I admire your fortitude, Bill! As you know, after 50 yrs with a Schick Krona and Barbasol, I believe myself incapable of sticking with the same kit every day. No need to punish yourself for a momentary lightness of touch lapse. Happens to all of us. The only consistency of my shaving regimen is it’s inconsist! I’ll follow your disciplined approach with interest. My discipline is indiscipline! 😆
On one of my episodes, I used a Gillette Short Comb for a month. Other people loved the things, and my results didn’t measure up. About 2 weeks in I was much happier but still went a month. It is still not a fave of mine, but I’ll keep it and use occasionally because it is one of the few vintage tools I own.

Like most, I love the variety too.

SOTD 10/28/21

Stirling suds, AS, bowl & brush - Bergamot Lavender

6CB01212-F052-44CF-A748-AFAADD10FAE0.jpeg

Working on improving my finishing skills. Failed to get a fresh whack at that earlobe mounting bracket this time. Guess I’ll have to shelf those plans for the great excuse for not listening.

Made improvements.

I gotta check my water softener salt tank this weekend, seems my residual slickness has dropped some.

I cheated and grabbed two other tools after I started, another straight to confirm my edge and my Essence at the end. Straights are fun but a lot of work. So much for my commitment to just work with one tool.

Great shave. Be well all.

SOTD 10/28/21

Stirling suds, AS, bowl & brush - Bergamot Lavender

View attachment 65216

Working on improving my finishing skills. Failed to get a fresh whack at that earlobe mounting bracket this time. Guess I’ll have to shelf those plans for the great excuse for not listening.

Made improvements.

I gotta check my water softener salt tank this weekend, seems my residual slickness has dropped some.

I cheated and grabbed two other tools after I started, another straight to confirm my edge and my Essence at the end. Straights are fun but a lot of work. So much for my commitment to just work with one tool.

Great shave. Be well all.
No apologies, it’s your shave! As long as you enjoy it, that’s what counts, my friend! Hope your day went well, Bill!

SOTD 10/31/21

Stirling Triumph Soap & AS
Stirling tuxedo brush
Fine Accoutrements bowl
6/8 Thiers Issard Evide Sonnant Extra, Edge day 1

63C22B98-1D65-4658-B221-5A72155A4826.jpeg

Having decided to work on improving my finishing skills for a period of time, I found myself running for other tools last shave because I was sensing that ‘first pass resistance’ that usually triggers a re-hone for me. I can’t say I actually know how many shaves that might represent on any of my straights. I’ll be starting a thread on the topic just out of curiosity.

Today is my Dad’s 90th birthday. We visited him yesterday at assisted living to stuff him with chocolate cake. His cognitive level varies these days, but he was demonstratively joyful.

The shave was on a freshly honed edge and wonderfully executed after a full investment prep and some work on my buffing skills in the end. In my mind, it is the embodiment of why straight shavers, straight shave.

This little experiment of mine will now be single tool edge life evaluation and skills improvement.

Wishing everyone a great week

SOTD 10/31/21

Stirling tuxedo brush
Fine Accoutrements bowl

View attachment 65567

Having decided to work on improving my finishing skills for a period of time, I found myself running for other tools last shave because I was sensing that ‘first pass resistance’ that usually triggers a re-hone for me. I can’t say I actually know how many shaves that might represent on any of my straights. I’ll be starting a thread on the topic just out of curiosity.

Today is my Dad’s 90th birthday. We visited him yesterday at assisted living to stuff him with chocolate cake. His cognitive level varies these days, but he was demonstratively joyful.

The shave was on a freshly honed edge and wonderfully executed after a full investment prep and some work on my buffing skills in the end. In my mind, it is the embodiment of why straight shavers, straight shave.

This little experiment of mine will now be single tool edge life evaluation and skills improvement.

Bill, I enjoy following along as you master your honing skills. It seems to be a mix of art and science. I admire your dedication.

Best wishes and Happy Birthday to your Dad!

Now there’s something manly to try to throw into a conversation. How do you know when you’re low on salt? Oh, personally for me is when I have less slickness during my straight razor shaves.

SOTD 10/31/21

Stirling tuxedo brush
Fine Accoutrements bowl

View attachment 65567

Glad that you were able to get in some quality time with your Dad, Bill!

SOTD 10/31/21

Stirling tuxedo brush
Fine Accoutrements bowl

View attachment 65567

Congratulations on another successful straight shave, Bill! You’re blessed to be able to be with your dad! I think of mine every day! Happy birthday wishes to him!

Back