The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

My story, I’m sticking to it. Bill

Simpsons was reportedly the premiere brush maker with roots 100 years back.

While handles are no longer turned from ivory, the process is the same.

All their knots were hand tied, shaped and glued. They have a reputation for being densely packed with great strand retention.

Badger hair was obtained in different categories, Super Badger being their luxury offering, reportedly the softest.

When I started wet shaving, most of their prices almost sent me into convulsions. Still, I thought I could rationalize having ONE Simpsons Super Badger. I chose the Emperor 2 because I liked the handle style and it represented a lower cost. Due to market pressure prices have dropped and I eventually got this Emperor 3.

I like both of these brushes, but most often use a Stirling Tuxedo cause it works well and won’t sting so much to replace.

I’m not a huge brush aficionado and have limited sampling. There are others who could probably comment more on this type of gear.
Thanks, Bill! I was just curious! Thankfully, my Acquisition Disorder doesn’t extend to brushes. I really like my JR, JT, and MrEE brushes.

SOTD 10/15/21 evening

MWF
Fine Accoutrements bowl
Simpsons Emperor 3
Thiers Issard 6/8 889 Rams horn
Stirling Lemon Chill WH & AS

View attachment 63883

Just got my MWF. I have no idea why it took me so long to get this soap, it has a significant following. My water is softened, so I lack lathering issues. I started face lathering, then decided to move to the bowl to sufficiently slosh out the soap. I suppose one day I’ll have to try Williams too.

I love this brush. My guess is that one day hand tied brushes like it will no longer be made. For me, it doesn’t work any better than an inexpensive synthetic or boar, but once in a while it is okay to splurge in a hobby.

This razor is totally the sizzle in the pan. It was the pick of the litter from this particular vendor lot that I had to have. Good thing I had been working OT. TI uses a higher carbon content steel than most and is specially licensed to use a lead hardening process. The combo makes for durable stuff. Even though it has an extra hollow grind it feels more rigid than other stuff I have in honing and shaving.

My currently normal preshave edge refinement is 0.10 micron cBN on elliptically convexed balsa and a high arch mounted velvety smooth Herold RI calfhide. All my stuff is honed on convexed gear by me or others, so logically convexed final edge treatments make sense for me to use.

Usually when I evening shave, post shave stuff is citrus if some sort which Stirling definitely excels at.

Great shave. Makes for a hobby worth having.
Formidable blade, Bill. The scales are very nice.

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away a diverse group of rebel forces bonded under the unity found in search of the perfect shave.

I possess remnants of the great times I had then concentrating on the acquisition of solid foundational skills over the tendency to hop through the gear hoops. These things remind me of great friends who inspired one another to be better in the small segment of daily time that is uniquely one’s own. While only a small remnant of my old school still exists, TSC embodies the passion and friendliness that it once was.

SOTD 10/17/21

Stirling suds, AS, EdT, Tsuka flavored
Symmetrical Pottery steampunk bowl
LE custom flat top brush by @JTSpartan
Fram - Wiener Schaber 4/8 (t/l = Vienna Scraper) courtesy of Jason

BBDD577D-4D08-4484-81A3-AC11D3A0144E.jpeg

The Stirling Tsuka scent is a dupe of Hanae Mori, something I liked enough to engage my hoarding mode. The soap label is a private offering of the same stuff.

I fell in love with the style of this brush the minute I saw it. I found the knot a little floppy and may reset it lower one day. In spite of the flops, this easily makes a finely aerated lather that suits me great.

The bowl was a Christmas gift from my family that I hinted for.

The razor came to me as a gift from Jason for my honing exploits. I know little about it other than his neighbor gave it to him ‘cause he was a shave guy’. Böker markets a piece with the same inscription. It’s small size is said to be good for working around the mustache and beard. The short reach requires extra attention in use an a slightly different grip.

Even though I thought I could probably shave with the edge it came with, I redid it. 3 passes and flatblading™️(A BarberDave original) touch up. Edge was retouched on abrasively charged balsa and smooth leather for a packing peanut push cut before storage.

Great shave. Wishing all a wonderful week.

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away a diverse group of rebel forces bonded under the unity found in search of the perfect shave.

I possess remnants of the great times I had then concentrating on the acquisition of solid foundational skills over the tendency to hop through the gear hoops. These things remind me of great friends who inspired one another to be better in the small segment of daily time that is uniquely one’s own. While only a small remnant of my old school still exists, TSC embodies the passion and friendliness that it once was.

SOTD 10/17/21

Stirling suds, AS, EdT, Tsuka flavored
Symmetrical Pottery steampunk bowl
LE custom flat top brush by @JTSpartan
Fram - Wiener Schaber 4/8 (t/l = Vienna Scraper) courtesy of Jason

View attachment 64063

The Stirling Tsuka scent is a dupe of Hanae Mori, something I liked enough to engage my hoarding mode. The soap label is a private offering of the same stuff.

I fell in love with the style of this brush the minute I saw it. I found the knot a little floppy and may reset it lower one day. In spite of the flops, this easily makes a finely aerated lather that suits me great.

The bowl was a Christmas gift from my family that I hinted for.

The razor came to me as a gift from Jason for my honing exploits. I know little about it other than his neighbor gave it to him ‘cause he was a shave guy’. Böker markets a piece with the same inscription. It’s small size is said to be good for working around the mustache and beard. The short reach requires extra attention in use an a slightly different grip.

Even though I thought I could probably shave with the edge it came with, I redid it. 3 passes and flatblading™️(A BarberDave original) touch up. Edge was retouched on abrasively charged balsa and smooth leather for a packing peanut push cut before storage.

Great shave. Wishing all a wonderful week.
Lovely shave, Bill!

SOTD 10/20/21

Barbasol Pacific Rush
JTSpartan 2019 LE flattop
Feather AS-D2
Feather (1)
Aqua Velva AS

5F21986F-8C43-40D6-AA11-F53BA01A3376.jpeg

I can’t remember the last time I used this tool. I was easily reminded why it is my fave DE. I should use it more.

Yeah I know…. canned foam! ☠
PacificRush smells good. I like to put a shot in a bowl and slosh it out with some water, then brush in the face good. Will never be as good as a real soap, but you can shave with it and it’s fast.

Great shave. Wish I knew about this stuff during the 20 years I was a traveling coat & tie.

If I wasn’t a Brut guy, I’d be an Aqua Velva guy.

An AS-D2? Pray, do tell. What's so different about it that makes it such a good razor? Is it something I should consider picking up? :unsure:
It is a razor I had in the cart many times and wouldn’t pull the trigger because of the cost.

I loaded up a Feather blade when I got this one rarely used and never looked back.

My #2 is a Gillette Flairtip. I consider it intuitive to use with any blade I’ve put in it.

I read many comments that the AS-D2 isn’t so good without the Feather.

Hey, wait a minute now ……you have one of these, don’t you?

Who? Me?
giphy.gif

It is a razor I had in the cart many times and wouldn’t pull the trigger because of the cost.

I loaded up a Feather blade when I got this one rarely used and never looked back.

My #2 is a Gillette Flairtip. I consider it intuitive to use with any blade I’ve put in it.

1634775213138.gif

AS-D2 is a terrific shaver. Very efficient if one takes the time to learn its narrow sweet spot.

Back