The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

My story, I’m sticking to it. Bill

Now there’s something manly to try to throw into a conversation. How do you know when you’re low on salt? Oh, personally for me is when I have less slickness during my straight razor shaves.
Suppose I could have done the girlie thing and said I have to use more shampoo and my hair is crackalee.

SOTD 10/31/21

Stirling Triumph Soap & AS
Stirling tuxedo brush
Fine Accoutrements bowl
6/8 Thiers Issard Evide Sonnant Extra, Edge day 1

View attachment 65567

Having decided to work on improving my finishing skills for a period of time, I found myself running for other tools last shave because I was sensing that ‘first pass resistance’ that usually triggers a re-hone for me. I can’t say I actually know how many shaves that might represent on any of my straights. I’ll be starting a thread on the topic just out of curiosity.

Today is my Dad’s 90th birthday. We visited him yesterday at assisted living to stuff him with chocolate cake. His cognitive level varies these days, but he was demonstratively joyful.

The shave was on a freshly honed edge and wonderfully executed after a full investment prep and some work on my buffing skills in the end. In my mind, it is the embodiment of why straight shavers, straight shave.

This little experiment of mine will now be single tool edge life evaluation and skills improvement.

Wishing everyone a great week
Wonderful to be able to share that day with a father at OUR advanced age. ;) Seriously. Happy Birthday to your father, Bill.

Shaves this first week in November.

Once again OT at work is interfering with my shaving hobby. That and picking up flowers to prove to the girl I married 42 years ago that I still love her.

C4C97030-CE3A-4598-8E14-91C120B49F88.jpeg

The shave that I needed but was almost too tired for.

Work off soap mug
Omega boar brush
Essence by Tedalus razor
Feather ProGuard (9)
Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic

E9363C58-14EE-474D-8577-9B210C9145CE.jpeg

This day I showered in the evening and contemplated what razor to use while doing so. My mindset was for an already loaded grab and go tool designed for the effortless close and comfortable shave. The pieces that came to mind on hand were the Feather ASD2 and the Essence razor. The Essence won out and did not disappoint. I think I’ve taken ProGuards into the teens on shave counts, but I’m calling this one done at 9. What does one want for a buck fiddee nowadays anyhow?

Great shave.

Did I ever say how much I like this razor?

SOTD Saturday 11/6/21

Stirling suds, AS, bowl & brush - Executive Man aroma
6/8 Thiers Issard Evide Sonnant Extra, Edge Day (2)

F0CA0C83-EA66-467D-BAC5-A3BD4B71A082.jpeg

Today gave me the time to prove that I still enjoy my hobby shaving. I dedicated all the prep time and leisurely stropping needed to stay on low pressure, low angle. Probably smoother than first shave after honing. I’m enjoying this special focus on enhancing my buffing skills.

Executive Man is nice, especially so today, but I have no idea why.

Spent the day creating a delicious stew style pot roast that we have not done in a while. Yum.

Daylight savings, yay, gimme that hour back.

Be well all.

Oh, my really cool Cadre shave shirt showed up. I gotta do a vid with it.

Now where are those whisky glasses. 🥃

Once again OT at work is interfering with my shaving hobby. That and picking up flowers to prove to the girl I married 42 years ago that I still love her.

View attachment 66267

Work off soap mug
Omega boar brush
Essence by Tedalus razor
Feather ProGuard (9)

View attachment 66265

This day I showered in the evening and contemplated what razor to use while doing so. My mindset was for an already loaded grab and go tool designed for the effortless close and comfortable shave. The pieces that came to mind on hand were the Feather ASD2 and the Essence razor. The Essence won out and did not disappoint. I think I’ve taken ProGuards into the teens on shave counts, but I’m calling this one done at 9. What does one want for a buck fiddee nowadays anyhow?

Great shave.

SOTD Saturday 11/6/21

View attachment 66266

Today gave me the time to prove that I still enjoy my hobby shaving. I dedicated all the prep time and leisurely stropping needed to stay on low pressure, low angle. Probably smoother than first shave after honing. I’m enjoying this special focus on enhancing my buffing skills.

Spent the day creating a delicious stew style pot roast that we have not done in a while. Yum.

Be well all.

You are really making me contemplate that Tedalus...:unsure:

View attachment 66267

Work off soap mug
Omega boar brush
Essence by Tedalus razor
Feather ProGuard (9)

View attachment 66265

Great shave.

SOTD Saturday 11/6/21

View attachment 66266

Be well all.

42 years! Awesome, Bill. Happy Anniversary!

View attachment 66267

Work off soap mug
Omega boar brush
Essence by Tedalus razor
Feather ProGuard (9)

View attachment 66265

Great shave.

SOTD Saturday 11/6/21

View attachment 66266

Be well all.

Great shave kits, Bill, and happy anniversary!

That is a wonderful wedding picture! It would be absolutely perfect if you were not in it! 🤪

Just kidding really! What an amazing thing to have been married 42 years! In this day and age when everything is disposable, it is refreshing to see someone truly committed to something! I hope you have another lifetime together!

View attachment 66267

Work off soap mug
Omega boar brush
Essence by Tedalus razor
Feather ProGuard (9)

View attachment 66265

Great shave.

SOTD Saturday 11/6/21

View attachment 66266

Be well all.

Happy Anniversary, Bill! 42 years! Just awesome!

Back