The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

My story, I’m sticking to it. Bill

Sheest. I gotta get me some of that peach booze.
nope-yeahno.gif

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away a diverse group of rebel forces bonded under the unity found in search of the perfect shave.

I possess remnants of the great times I had then concentrating on the acquisition of solid foundational skills over the tendency to hop through the gear hoops. These things remind me of great friends who inspired one another to be better in the small segment of daily time that is uniquely one’s own. While only a small remnant of my old school still exists, TSC embodies the passion and friendliness that it once was.

SOTD 10/17/21

Stirling suds, AS, EdT, Tsuka flavored
Symmetrical Pottery steampunk bowl
LE custom flat top brush by @JTSpartan
Fram - Wiener Schaber 4/8 (t/l = Vienna Scraper) courtesy of Jason

View attachment 64063

The Stirling Tsuka scent is a dupe of Hanae Mori, something I liked enough to engage my hoarding mode. The soap label is a private offering of the same stuff.

I fell in love with the style of this brush the minute I saw it. I found the knot a little floppy and may reset it lower one day. In spite of the flops, this easily makes a finely aerated lather that suits me great.

The bowl was a Christmas gift from my family that I hinted for.

The razor came to me as a gift from Jason for my honing exploits. I know little about it other than his neighbor gave it to him ‘cause he was a shave guy’. Böker markets a piece with the same inscription. It’s small size is said to be good for working around the mustache and beard. The short reach requires extra attention in use an a slightly different grip.

Even though I thought I could probably shave with the edge it came with, I redid it. 3 passes and flatblading™️(A BarberDave original) touch up. Edge was retouched on abrasively charged balsa and smooth leather for a packing peanut push cut before storage.

Great shave. Wishing all a wonderful week.
Great shave, Bill! Seems like we have a similar maintenance strategy, although I don‘t use bumpy hones. After each shave, which now includes flatblading, I go to the Swaty with Smith’s honing oil and then to the constroption. Once the blade is again popping styrofoam it’s back to the case For storage.

Bill recognizes the finest shave soap out there, Charlie! No need to be overcome with that dreadful Tabac stink!
View attachment 64660
Always shave with Tabac when congestion hits, it is medicinal.

It is hard for me to deny that it lathers well though.

I always point the fans eastward when I use the stuff. I don’t want to guilty of not sharing with friends.

B6897F76-4E0C-4838-BFC7-9E558CAC86E2.jpeg

Sunday 10/24/21

Stirling suds, suds whipper & splash - Mountain Man flavored
6/8 TI Evide Sonnant Extra

88C28F85-6674-496E-B089-24A25AB2EF54.jpeg

I’m going to try to do a few repeats with this same gear to specifically work on my flatblading skills.

I’m checking my edge beforehand and then after the shave and any edge maintenance I do. I also added the downward stroke and fine tuning my sensitivity in touch. Pre and post shave edge checks are as equal as far as I can ascertain.

I have always targeted comfort over closeness and doubt I’ll be changing any time soon. I’ve gotten closer in the past, but am continually trending upwards.

I bought this shave piece ‘on sale’ for $100, a price that was probably trading dollars so I kicked in a bonus tip on payment to stay balanced. Although 6/8 vs 5/8, it represents what might be considered utilitarian.

My intent was to use it for practice honing before working on items 3x the cost. TI razors have a reputation of being difficult to hone. The tool does lack perfect geometry but I didn’t encounter any specific issues.

The Stirling stuff is uh, well Stirling

Great shave. See those of you attending on Zoom. Wishing all a safe, prosperous and healthy week.

Back