The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

My story, I’m sticking to it. Bill

Week of 11/08/21 Shaves

Fine Accoutrements soap, AS, & bowl - American Blend aroma
Stirling Tuxedo brush
6/8 Thiers Issard Evide Sonnant Extra, Edge Day (3)

A6B37AEA-8EB7-4C6C-A90E-0D83E5F975E2.jpeg

Fine Accoutrements soap & bowl - American Blend aroma
Stirling Tuxedo brush
Stirling WH Eucalyptus Mint
6/8 Thiers Issard Evide Sonnant Extra, Edge Day (4)

F9904701-9AF9-41BF-BE33-95D81923EB03.jpeg

Work is still interfering with my personal grooming hobby. I suspect it will continue.

Still working on my edge life evaluations and advanced techniques for my neck with a straight.

My pre shave edge maintenance is something like 20 rounds on convexed balsa charged with 0.10 micron cBN, then 30-40 on convexed calf hide, then 20 light rounds on hanging horse hide. After a shave I go about 20 rounds on denim then horse for cleanup and storage.

I do notice an edge difference post shave with styrofoam packing peanut tests before stropping, but it seems to come back before the next shave. If anything, I think shaves are a little smoother.

Following my training philosophy that gear changes can interfere with skill development, I am liking improvements on the neck. Odd that I would counsel folks to pursue comfort in shaving over closeness in the past, yet here I am ‘chasing the baby’. It does show that you can have both in time.

I never gave Fine soaps a thought in the past, can’t determine why though. Now that the old are no longer made, I realize how much I was missing. I’m glad to have had a good friend point me to some available NOS.

Wishing everyone a great week.

Week of 11/08/21 Shaves

Stirling Tuxedo brush

View attachment 67008

Stirling Tuxedo brush

View attachment 67009

Work is still interfering with my personal grooming hobby. I suspect it will continue.

Still working on my edge life evaluations and advanced techniques for my neck with a straight.

My pre shave edge maintenance is something like 20 rounds on convexed balsa charged with 0.10 micron cBN, then 30-40 on convexed calf hide, then 20 light rounds on hanging horse hide. After a shave I go about 20 rounds on denim then horse for cleanup and storage.

I do notice an edge difference post shave with styrofoam packing peanut tests before stropping, but it seems to come back before the next shave. If anything, I think shaves are a little smoother.

Following my training philosophy that gear changes can interfere with skill development, I am liking improvements on the neck. Odd that I would counsel folks to pursue comfort in shaving over closeness in the past, yet here I am ‘chasing the baby’. It does show that you can have both in time.

I never gave Fine soaps a thought in the past, can’t determine why though. Now that the old are no longer made, I realize how much I was missing. I’m glad to have had a good friend point me to some available NOS.

Fabulous shave, Bill! Hope things slow down for you at work! You’re spot on with respect to experience providing both close and comfortable shaves! Sharp is good!

Week of 11/08/21 Shaves

Stirling Tuxedo brush

View attachment 67008

Stirling Tuxedo brush

View attachment 67009

Great shave and report Bill. I hope things at work getting better for you.

C0B031FB-CFF6-4BEE-BB9F-454F646B1A83.jpeg
It was time for a vid

Post in thread 'Bill TV'
Bill TV

SOTD 11/12/21

Stirling Glacial Black Cherry SS
Stirling brush and paddle bowl
6/8 Thiers Issard Evide Sonnant Extra, Edge Day (5)
Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
Tom Ford Grey Vetiver EdP

I think Joseph @primotenore has me heading for fragheadism. Thx Joseph, great stuff for sure.
Oh man, after the joy of shaving the frag is the best part. It sticks with you all day.

It was time for a vid

Post in thread 'Bill TV'
Bill TV

SOTD 11/12/21

Stirling Glacial Black Cherry SS
Stirling brush and paddle bowl
6/8 Thiers Issard Evide Sonnant Extra, Edge Day (5)
Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
Tom Ford Grey Vetiver EdP

View attachment 67115

I think Joseph @primotenore has me heading for fragheadism. Thx Joseph, great stuff for sure.
Glad you like the stank, Bill. Sorry my sample was so small. My bottle of Grey Vetiver is almost spent. I can't say that about most of my bottles.

SOTD 11/16/21

Fine 21st Century Soap - Clubhouse
Fine bowl
Simpsons Emperor 2 brush
6/8 Thiers Issard Evide Sonnant Extra, Edge Day (6)
Fine Clubhouse AS
Talc

67B99BE6-C460-49AE-A430-0C12125A31EB.jpeg

I got some stuff today from Fine. After being delighted at the performance of my first exposure to NOS Fine original American Blend 3x soap, I bought some Lavender flavor which was still in stock. Being the prudent individual that I am, I went ahead and bulked up the cart for discount and FREE shipping.

Clubhouse is very close to its namesake, so I figure if you hate that stuff you should hate this too. I was interested to see how Mr Fine had done on finding another mfg’r for his soaps after the first closed up shop. The lather started frothing right away which surprised me and the light airily way it puffed off the tub concerned me, so I went for a bulk loading (which was not needed). In the bowl it quickly jumped to fine aeration and took plenty of water to make it slosh to my liking. I was very pleased with results and recommend no fear to those who wish to give the new stuff a try. It is a top tier performer like the original 3x.

After stropping the longevity test TI, the packing peanut test was okay but lower than what I prefer. Shaving has been getting smoother as I progress in my evaluation. The sharpness is off some, but not enough to have me running for another tool yet. I’ll spend a little more time on the charged balsa and animal skins next shave. Never fear though, the tool proved capable of delivering a little red kiss 💋 in an instant of complacency that alum could still handle. I do ooze out a bit easier on my new meds. The stuff was described as ‘aspirin on steroids’.

I do figure if the edges degrade on a replaceable blade tool in 5+ shaves it is unrealistic for me to expect to use a integral tool indefinitely. But, using abrasive charged strops is sharpening, so time will tell.

My wife, who chose to go to barbering school and become licensed but not pursue work in that field has been cutting my hair for over 35 years. She always trims the nape with clippers but doesn’t dust anymore. My previous barber always used a razor, lube, AS and talc. Until I showed up here at TSC, I had not seen or considered the use of talc as an aftershave treatment. When I was a traveling coat & tie, I daily used talc to make the electric Braun foil shaver slip and glide. I still had some talc in inventory from way back. If you are going to test it out like I did today, make sure it is real talc, I found long ago the cornstarch stuff clumps.

Following the examples set on the @NurseDave and @BarberDave vids, I figured I’d give it a try. It really adds a nice finish and comfortable feel to the shave. It will be a permanent add-in for me. Thx guys.

Oh one more thing, even if you are okay with polarizing aroma shave products, if you shave before bed and use a sleep machine, think about going citrus. Breathing Pinaud Clubman in your CPAP all night is not recommended even if you like it.

Last edited:
Clubhouse is very close to its namesake,
aqwse.PNG
Until I showed up here at TSC, I had not seen or considered the use of talc as an aftershave treatment. When I was a traveling coat & tie, I daily used talc to make the electric Braun foil shaver slip and glide. I still had some talc in inventory from way back. If you are going to test it out like I did today, make sure it is real talc, I found long ago the cornstarch stuff clumps.
dude.PNG
I use this stuff. It is corn based, but I have yet to experience clumping.
Breathing Pinaud Clubman in your CPAP all night is not recommended even if you like it.
qqasee.PNG

Imma need you to summarize your post in 100 words or less please. :)

View attachment 67424

View attachment 67425
I use this stuff. It is corn based, but I have yet to experience clumping.

View attachment 67429
I just got a note from Fine about clearance on remaining leftover soaps in the ‘Tabac Base’. He says Tabac will be making the changeover too.

If’n I was you, I’d get me a puck of the Tabac Base Fine and insist that it is an acceptable alternative to the forced use of ‘Collectors Tabac’ in a lost bet. 🤪

I just got a note from Fine about clearance on remaining leftover soaps in the ‘Tabac Base’. He says Tabac will be making the changeover too.
You can still get a 'Mr. Robusto' puck from Fendrihan. It is made by the factory in the Netherlands that made the Fine 3x milled pucks with the same ingredients and is a scent dupe of Tabac.
If’n I was you, I’d get me a puck of the Tabac Base Fine and insist that it is an acceptable alternative to the forced use of ‘Collectors Tabac’ in a lost bet. 🤪
Charlie caved. He messaged me to say that he bought a minty Tuckaway last week. I'm off the hook for the Tabac challenge. In case you are keeping track, 3 out of the 4 that I had a bet with have all lost...money from babes, my friend.:ROFLMAO::LOL::sneaky:

Back